Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,117

0 members and 3,117 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: normal?

Thanks

normal?

Hi guys.
    I noticed that the last two days my BP does this thing and wrapping himself around the usb bulb(which is slightly warm to touch) and stays there for a while.
    Hot side 88-89
    Cool side 77
    Ambient 78
    Humidity 50-60%
    The temperatures are controlled by dimming thermostat and I use CHE. I also check the temperatures twice a day with the gun and I use digital thermometers and hygrometers on each side. He has 2 hides, big water ball and all the decorations , eating every 2 weeks and had his first meal in his new house one week ago with no problem. Usually he is in his hide during the day and during the night he is exploring at the hot side. But now it is afternoon and he is wrapped around the bulb. I know uvb is not necessary but I just have not found light that would be perfect. I switched it off for now because I do not want him to stare so close at it... Is this normal??Or should I be worried???

Thanks
    He just found a warm spot. Might want to cage off the light to prevent any burns.
    Last edited by Trinityblood; 03-23-2021 at 12:11 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

AnaDim (03-23-2021),Bogertophis (03-23-2021),Hugsplox (03-23-2021)

Thanks

Re: normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    He just found a warm spot. Might want to cage off the light to prevent any burns.
    yes I switched it off just in case.
    I touched him and he is kind of much more warm than usual as well.
    doesn’t seem stressed, the breathing is steady and normal. It just the first time he is doing this .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    I agree with Trinityblood. He's probably just found a warm spot and is hanging out, but I would definitely cage it off or remove it. Remember the average human temperature is right around 98 degrees, so if it's warm to the touch, it's probably hotter than that. Personally I don't want anything in my enclosure that hot that my snake can touch/wrap around/stick his nose in, so I would either remove it OR cage it where he can't get to it.

It's normal for them to explore and climb, and check out their surroundings, especially if that's a new enclosure, and this may be a one off thing, but if he gets up there once, he'll continue getting up there, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

AnaDim (03-23-2021),Bogertophis (03-23-2021),GoingPostal (03-23-2021)

Thanks
    Wow, what an accomplished climber! Agreed that your snake is enjoying the extra warmth there even though it may be too warm for him, and that putting caging around the bulb is a good idea. BPs just seem to be attracted to warm electronic things even if they can burn them!