Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 357

3 members and 354 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

Guilherme (46)
kabuna (40)
Blakhawk02 (23)
Catrippi (21)

» Stats

Members: 70,724
Threads: 244,795
Posts: 2,537,974
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, mtw2007
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-22-2021
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Maintaining humidity

    Hi I have a hatchling bp he is less than an month old, I am having problems maintaining the humidity in his tank. My setup for the moment is a 5gallon tank with a zoo med uth and a 25 watt zoomed nano basking light. So far the temperature gradient is 85 on the hot side and about 76 on the cool side, I have tried to move the water bowl closer to the light, plus have tried to mist the tank but it seems like that only last for about an hr or 2 that it slowly goes down. My hot side humidity is about 30% and the cool side is about 40%. Any ideas how I can maintain it would be awesome. Thank you

  2. #2
    Registered User CK BALLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-03-2020
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts

    Re: Maintaining humidity

    Cover about 3/4 of the lid with aluminum foil. Itís not pretty but it holds humidity. Make sure when you do that itís on the outside only. What kind of substrate are you using?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to CK BALLS For This Useful Post:

    Zaho86 (03-22-2021)

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-22-2021
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Maintaining humidity

    I actually have a little less than half of the lid already covered with foil tape. I am using forest floor for substrate.

  5. #4
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,142
    Thanks
    19,830
    Thanked 12,147 Times in 7,641 Posts

    Re: Maintaining humidity

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaho86 View Post
    I actually have a little less than half of the lid already covered with foil tape. I am using forest floor for substrate.
    You'll need to cover most of the top to keep humidity inside. Also, it's quite normal for the warmest side to have lower humidity than the cooler side, so don't stress if you can't get the same reading.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    Hugsplox (03-23-2021),Spicey (03-23-2021),Zaho86 (03-22-2021)

  7. #5
    Registered User Hugsplox's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-27-2020
    Location
    Georgia, U.S.
    Posts
    411
    Thanks
    742
    Thanked 587 Times in 298 Posts

    Re: Maintaining humidity

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You'll need to cover most of the top to keep humidity inside. Also, it's quite normal for the warmest side to have lower humidity than the cooler side, so don't stress if you can't get the same reading.
    This would be my advice too, and either make or purchase yourself a humid hide. I can tell you just from the past couple of weeks using a 10 gallon as a quarantine tank, even with humidity holding substrate and most of the lid covered, it's a little difficult to keep ambient humidity up, but with a humid hide in there your snake can always make its way in if the air gets too dry.

    If you want to buy one these are what I use and I love them.
    https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/...y-hide-en.html

    I've also made plenty out of Tupperware, deli cups, and an assortment of other random containers, so if you don't want to purchase any, the options are still almost limitless on what you can do.
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 03-23-2021 at 08:22 AM. Reason: correcting spelling

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (03-23-2021)

  9. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-22-2021
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Maintaining humidity




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #7
    Registered User Hugsplox's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-27-2020
    Location
    Georgia, U.S.
    Posts
    411
    Thanks
    742
    Thanked 587 Times in 298 Posts

    Re: Maintaining humidity

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaho86 View Post



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just my 2 cents, and someone else can jump in if they disagree, I would get rid of the half log or at a minimum block off one end of it so there's one one entry/exit. BPs like secure, size appropriate hides and having something open on both ends could cause some stress to your snake. I'd also block off three sides of the enclosure so your BP feels a little more secure, and I can't see if you have a second hide on the cool side, but would put one in if not. If you can get some foam or some other type of insulating material for the sides and back of your enclosure, it will hold heat better and your heating elements won't need to run as much, thereby reducing the drying effect they're having on your enclosure.

    The humidity being lower on the warm end is perfectly normal. Even in my enclosure now that's highly modified my warm end is 55% and cool end is 65%. Personally I've always kept my humidity somewhere between 50-60% and have had no issues, because I have a humid hide that's upwards of 70-75% that's available 24-7 for my BP to go into if he needs it. I also mist once or twice a day when in shed just to be safe.

    Don't get too hung up on humidity. Different sites will tell you different things, for example, the Reddit BP section moderators will tell you that 80% is ideal and that anything lower than 60% is dangerous for a BP, which is just.. not correct. I would focus on some of your other enclosure issues first.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (03-23-2021),CK BALLS (03-23-2021)

  12. #8
    Registered User CK BALLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-03-2020
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts

    Re: Maintaining humidity

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Just my 2 cents, and someone else can jump in if they disagree, I would get rid of the half log or at a minimum block off one end of it so there's one one entry/exit. BPs like secure, size appropriate hides and having something open on both ends could cause some stress to your snake. I'd also block off three sides of the enclosure so your BP feels a little more secure, and I can't see if you have a second hide on the cool side, but would put one in if not. If you can get some foam or some other type of insulating material for the sides and back of your enclosure, it will hold heat better and your heating elements won't need to run as much, thereby reducing the drying effect they're having on your enclosure.

    The humidity being lower on the warm end is perfectly normal. Even in my enclosure now that's highly modified my warm end is 55% and cool end is 65%. Personally I've always kept my humidity somewhere between 50-60% and have had no issues, because I have a humid hide that's upwards of 70-75% that's available 24-7 for my BP to go into if he needs it. I also mist once or twice a day when in shed just to be safe.

    Don't get too hung up on humidity. Different sites will tell you different things, for example, the Reddit BP section moderators will tell you that 80% is ideal and that anything lower than 60% is dangerous for a BP, which is just.. not correct. I would focus on some of your other enclosure issues first.
    Iíll second this! Iím actually surprised some people think 80% is ideal. I think thatís way to high...

  13. #9
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,142
    Thanks
    19,830
    Thanked 12,147 Times in 7,641 Posts

    Re: Maintaining humidity

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Just my 2 cents, and someone else can jump in if they disagree, I would get rid of the half log or at a minimum block off one end of it so there's one one entry/exit. BPs like secure, size appropriate hides and having something open on both ends could cause some stress to your snake. I'd also block off three sides of the enclosure so your BP feels a little more secure, and I can't see if you have a second hide on the cool side, but would put one in if not. If you can get some foam or some other type of insulating material for the sides and back of your enclosure, it will hold heat better and your heating elements won't need to run as much, thereby reducing the drying effect they're having on your enclosure.

    The humidity being lower on the warm end is perfectly normal. Even in my enclosure now that's highly modified my warm end is 55% and cool end is 65%. Personally I've always kept my humidity somewhere between 50-60% and have had no issues, because I have a humid hide that's upwards of 70-75% that's available 24-7 for my BP to go into if he needs it. I also mist once or twice a day when in shed just to be safe.

    Don't get too hung up on humidity. Different sites will tell you different things, for example, the Reddit BP section moderators will tell you that 80% is ideal and that anything lower than 60% is dangerous for a BP, which is just.. not correct. I would focus on some of your other enclosure issues first.
    Yessss for a "third" in agreement. All of the above.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  14. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-22-2021
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Maintaining humidity

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Just my 2 cents, and someone else can jump in if they disagree, I would get rid of the half log or at a minimum block off one end of it so there's one one entry/exit. BPs like secure, size appropriate hides and having something open on both ends could cause some stress to your snake. I'd also block off three sides of the enclosure so your BP feels a little more secure, and I can't see if you have a second hide on the cool side, but would put one in if not. If you can get some foam or some other type of insulating material for the sides and back of your enclosure, it will hold heat better and your heating elements won't need to run as much, thereby reducing the drying effect they're having on your enclosure.

    The humidity being lower on the warm end is perfectly normal. Even in my enclosure now that's highly modified my warm end is 55% and cool end is 65%. Personally I've always kept my humidity somewhere between 50-60% and have had no issues, because I have a humid hide that's upwards of 70-75% that's available 24-7 for my BP to go into if he needs it. I also mist once or twice a day when in shed just to be safe.

    Don't get too hung up on humidity. Different sites will tell you different things, for example, the Reddit BP section moderators will tell you that 80% is ideal and that anything lower than 60% is dangerous for a BP, which is just.. not correct. I would focus on some of your other enclosure issues first.
    So far with 3/4 of the lid covered humidity seems to be holding, last I checked it was 57% on the cool side and 44% on the hot side. I am gonna try the things that you are recommending, I have found some foam insulation Iím gonna try to put around the 3sides and look in to a more enclosed hide. Thank you I appreciated all the advice so far.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1