Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,488

2 members and 2,486 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: That feeling when you're tempted to rescue...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Even though you already talked yourself logically OUT of doing a rescue at this time in your life, I'll just add (for you or anyone that's reading) that you can also give your name & contact information TO those dog/cat shelters just to have on hand, because sometimes they hear from people wanting to surrender a reptile & this way, they can give out your #. Not saying that's a good idea in your case right now, but they may appreciate having you as a contact in case. You may have to remind them now & then though, because such shelters often depend on part-time volunteers rather than full-time workers, & they don't always get "the word". Anyway, it costs nothing to make the connection to them.
    Not a bad idea for a later time. I really do mean later time though, it's very evident that I'm not in a position to take in more animals for the time being as I was talking with my mom about an enclosure I came across on Craigslist yesterday (an actually good one this time that I've scouted and asked questions about, I promise), and she not only kept saying how much money I've been spending lately (my aquarium project has been slaughtering my wallet but it's thankfully all but completed now except for a few fish in quarantine), but kept pressing me about selling the 55 gallon tank I have sitting around. Which I was secretly hoping to keep around for potential future snakes but, yeah...

Needless to say even if that snake wasn't already snapped up, it was never going to fly with my mother nor my wallet at this time. Like I said before, had my head in the clouds for a bit.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-23-2021),Luvyna (03-23-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Not a bad idea for a later time. I really do mean later time though, it's very evident that I'm not in a position to take in more animals for the time being as I was talking with my mom about an enclosure I came across on Craigslist yesterday (an actually good one this time that I've scouted and asked questions about, I promise), and she not only kept saying how much money I've been spending lately (my aquarium project has been slaughtering my wallet but it's thankfully all but completed now except for a few fish in quarantine), but kept pressing me about selling the 55 gallon tank I have sitting around. Which I was secretly hoping to keep around for potential future snakes but, yeah...

Needless to say even if that snake wasn't already snapped up, it was never going to fly with my mother nor my wallet at this time. Like I said before, had my head in the clouds for a bit.
    Sounds like your mom "knows you too well"! That empty tanks don't stay that way for long-

I could never have many pets when I was growing up either...but as an adult, I've more than made up for lost time, lol. You'll get there, but focus on all you need to do to be in that adult place first- focus on your education & job skills that bring financial independence & stability first, so you don't end up getting pets you cannot keep, because that's just heart-breaking. Okay? I know it's hard to wait & plan & do all the "sensible" things, but that's by far the best way. Nothing wrong with dreams, especially when you can make them happen at the right time.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (03-23-2021)

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    Yeah you could just rehome the animal? I think about all the cases that are out there like these you know? It's almost as hopeless a feeling as homeless dogs.
    Checkout my YouTube channel! I post Ball Python Morph Combo videos daily: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXr...7cOR5pcCONzvtA

Thanks

Sounds like your mom "knows you too well"! That empty tanks don't stay that way for long-

I could never have many pets when I was growing up either...but as an adult, I've more than made up for lost time, lol. You'll get there, but focus on all you need to do to be in that adult place first- focus on your education & job skills that bring financial independence & stability first, so you don't end up getting pets you cannot keep, because that's just heart-breaking. Okay? I know it's hard to wait & plan & do all the "sensible" things, but that's by far the best way. Nothing wrong with dreams, especially when you can make them happen at the right time.
    I've been more proactive about my life lately at least. The last couple years I've done little else but sit on my butt doing nothing all day. But now I've been trying new things, searching for opportunities, taking risks, acting more like an adult as I should be. It's hard sometimes and I've had plenty of pitfalls and mess ups which I've always had issues in dealing with (as in I've always had difficulty in handling failures), but I'm doing what I can.

I mean heck, you could argue I've already accomplished some dreams. This time a year ago I didn't think I was capable of trying reptiles again, and my huge beautiful aquarium with a thriving community was but a pipe dream I've had for what seemed like eons. Yet here I am.

Thanks

I really should stop browsing on Craigslist... A """healthy""" ball python as the ad says, complete with stuck shed all over and a possibly bleeding head/neck from live feedings and pine shaving bedding plus a duct tape-covered hide just for that extra bit of hazard. At least there's no secret as to why they're giving it away for free...

What gets me is that this is the second abused BP in a row I've seen that's a notable morph (I think it's an enchi?). One would think a more expensive snake would warrant better quality care (not that I'm saying wild-type animals should get second rate husbandry but you get my point) but I guess abuse is universal regardless of genetics. Good to know.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Snagrio; 04-13-2021 at 01:50 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-13-2021)

Thanks
    As you said, browsing Craigslist is risky, even dangerous- tends to promote impulsive choices or depression + feelings of frustration and sadness. Probably not the best use of your time, eh?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    This is why I don't look unless I'm serious about wanting another pet. It's too sad. I know your heart is in the right place. Maybe someone else will feel sorry and buy it.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-13-2021)

Thanks

As you said, browsing Craigslist is risky, even dangerous- tends to promote impulsive choices or depression + feelings of frustration and sadness. Probably not the best use of your time, eh?
    Problem is I kind of have to as that's where I'm trying to sell some stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    This is why I don't look unless I'm serious about wanting another pet. It's too sad. I know your heart is in the right place. Maybe someone else will feel sorry and buy it.
    The ad's 30 days old so possibly not unless the owner was just too lazy to delete it (given the poor state of the animal that's more than likely).

In any case they're in a town a two hour's drive away so it's not like I'd be easily tempted to go that far, and there's no way I'd be able to talk one of my folks into going with me since they always accompany me for any Craigslist-related business for safety's sake.

Thanks
    It's the same reason I don't dare "visit" the dogs at the shelter... It's heart-breaking & just way more than I can deal with. I've always adopted dogs, but I have my limits- we all do.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (04-13-2021)

Thanks
    I have worked with various rescues over the years and currently volunteer fostering rabbits. Just knowing what has happened to my fosters over the past 3-4 years (which I have not had to pay for myself, but the rescue does), there are all kinds of expenses that happen with them, both expected and unexpected. Also, the rescue owner--I have no idea how she has not lost her mind. She gets the worst calls, texts, voicemails, Facebook messages, and whatnot from the absolute most terrible people on the planet. Like, every day. And this is a smaller foster-based rescue with no brick-and-mortar facility. AND, these are the people who went out of their way to contact a rescue; think of the people who don't even do this!

Basically, for your own sanity, stop looking at listings. You sell things on Craigslist, okay, but just... Don't click on the "for sale" section? Just don't do that. Some discipline will help you devote your mental energy into something constructive.

People are cruel garbage and there are a lot of them. It's depressing that animals end up in this situation, but all I can think of is, if I adopt a few animals over my lifetime, and devote some more space and time to fostering animals in need, then I can make the most impact possible. Looking at depressing listings is not constructive.

Here is a good way to devote your energy: Why don't you foster? Even if you do not have a local reptile-specific rescue, many regular animal shelters also take fosters. Especially people with exotics/reptile experience, since most shelters are only really knowledgeable for dogs and cats. Also, fostering is free! It's free! Your mom can't argue with that.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TofuTofuTofu For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-13-2021),Caitlin (04-13-2021),GoingPostal (04-13-2021),Hugsplox (04-13-2021),Luvyna (04-13-2021)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast