Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,040

0 members and 3,040 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

That feeling when you're tempted to rescue...

Moseying around Craigslist to pass the time. There's usually snakes there I look at just for curiosity's sake, but tonight I happened upon this very sad-looking supposedly female (the owner isn't sure) lemonblast BP. Bone-dry enclosure, terrible shedding issues, and who knows what else. I know it's a bad idea to willingly take in a troubled animal but, in a rare instance my heart is breaking for this one...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I hear ya...been there, done that. I wouldn't spend a lot- it's pretty risky, but your "heart's in the right place". It's your call because it might well be your "headache" too.
    I have to admit though, few things feel better than turning an animal's life around if you can.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    The other issues would be my parents (I just spend a good chunk of money on fish so they wouldn't be pleased to hear about me asking about a second snake), the fact that there's family visiting this upcoming weekend, and the fact that she(?) would have to be set up elsewhere in the house away from Zebes for safety's sake. My bedroom probably. They're only asking $150 for the snake + enclosure but still.

But even with all that, I've genuinely been wanting to give an animal who's been dealt a bad lot in life a better chance. I've done it before in a different time, with a cockatiel also from Craigslist (she was in really bad shape but I nursed her back to health and she got to live out the remainder of her years in loving peace). And I've been longing to have that chance again.
    Last edited by Snagrio; 03-21-2021 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks
    "Only $150" for the snake & tank? How much will it cost to upgrade the tank to what she needs, PLUS vet care that could very well be expensive? You cannot assume she's healthy, because she sure doesn't look it, sorry to say. And personally, I'd hate to give that much money to someone who has so poorly cared for this animal.

IF you still want to go forward, I'd only do so by making a MUCH lower offer, "take it or leave it" & don't be too shy to point out what might be wrong health-wise. How long have they had this snake? Maybe she has mites? That causes bad sheds & dehydration...& ultimately death. But it could be other things too, things that "TLC" won't easily fix. Think carefully before you leap into this.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-22-2021),FollowTheSun (04-13-2021),GoingPostal (03-22-2021),Hugsplox (03-22-2021),ManMan42 (03-24-2021)

Thanks
    Yeah you're right... Never mind...

I'm not in the best financial position anyway so I shouldn't even be considering an animal that would likely require vet trips let alone all the other potential amenities to nurse her back to health, and that's all without including the potential risk of getting the perfectly healthy snake I already have sick just from the proximity of a sickly one.

My head was in the clouds admittedly, in fact I posted about it here to lowkey be talked out of making a foolish move out of my delusions of grandeur of being some hero who swoops in to save an animal in need, when it'd probably just end in disaster...

Thanks
    Like I said, your heart's in the right place, but rescues can be complicated & expensive. It's heart-breaking to see an animal that needs help, I know how you feel. Maybe another time though.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-22-2021),dakski (03-22-2021),GoingPostal (03-22-2021),Hugsplox (03-22-2021)

Thanks
    I suppose it'd be best, in the future, to go to a rescue, that way I can theoretically give an unwanted animal a home, without having to deal with the potential flood of issues with dealing with a sickly pet right off the bat. I've come across some reptile rescues semi-locally to keep in mind for a later time for example.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-22-2021),Bogertophis (03-22-2021),dakski (03-22-2021),GoingPostal (03-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: That feeling when you're tempted to rescue...

Snagrio,

I've been there. I have rescued snakes, and it's been tough at times, but rewarding at times as well. I've had success overall, but not without heartache.

However, it's always expensive. Same with adopting dogs. I've never adopted a dog that didn't need something a vet had to provide as well as some extra love. All my rescue dogs have been worth it, but also I knew what I was getting into (for the most part) and they became family. I also had the money.

I had a college professor who had a son that wasn't caring for his corn snake. She literally dropped him at my door (with my permission of course) and said thank you and left. Luckily, he was a corn snake and ONLY had internal parasites. Got him eating and treated and ultimately, because of my circumstances, found him a good home once he was healthy and established. Did I save his life? Probably. However, there was a cost - both dollars and emotional.

As with dogs, you cannot save them all. We cannot save all the sick and starving children in the world either. It's heartbreaking, but we help who we can and when we can.

Having said the latter, we aren't all saints or prophets, and have to be selective about making sure when we help, we are doing so when it's okay for us. It's important in life sometimes to put on our "oxygen mask," and then the masks of others. In other words, take care of numero uno first or you won't be able to take care of others.

If taking in a potentially sick animal nows means spending time and/or money you don't have and upsetting your family, it's not meant to be and probably not worth the reward. Many things in life come down to that - risk vs. reward.

Finally, keep in mind that taking a reptile that is potentially ill means you absolutely have to proper quarantine. We do that for 90 days with animals from known breeders. You just don't know. In a situation like this, you would need a long and proper quarantine and might still be putting your other BP at risk. Would trying to safe this guy be worth the risk to your other BP?

Anyway, my two cents, given your situation, as you said, wait for a safer opportunity and a better time for you and your family.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-22-2021),bcr229 (03-22-2021),Bogertophis (03-22-2021),GoingPostal (03-22-2021),Hugsplox (03-22-2021),Snagrio (03-22-2021)

Thanks

Re: That feeling when you're tempted to rescue...

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Snagrio,

I've been there. I have rescued snakes, and it's been tough at times, but rewarding at times as well. I've had success overall, but not without heartache.

However, it's always expensive. Same with adopting dogs. I've never adopted a dog that didn't need something a vet had to provide as well as some extra love. All my rescue dogs have been worth it, but also I knew what I was getting into (for the most part) and they became family. I also had the money.

I had a college professor who had a son that wasn't caring for his corn snake. She literally dropped him at my door (with my permission of course) and said thank you and left. Luckily, he was a corn snake and ONLY had internal parasites. Got him eating and treated and ultimately, because of my circumstances, found him a good home once he was healthy and established. Did I save his life? Probably. However, there was a cost - both dollars and emotional.

As with dogs, you cannot save them all. We cannot save all the sick and starving children in the world either. It's heartbreaking, but we help who we can and when we can.

Having said the latter, we aren't all saints or prophets, and have to be selective about making sure when we help, we are doing so when it's okay for us. It's important in life sometimes to put on our "oxygen mask," and then the masks of others. In other words, take care of numero uno first or you won't be able to take care of others.

If taking in a potentially sick animal nows means spending time and/or money you don't have and upsetting your family, it's not meant to be and probably not worth the reward. Many things in life come down to that - risk vs. reward.

Finally, keep in mind that taking a reptile that is potentially ill means you absolutely have to proper quarantine. We do that for 90 days with animals from known breeders. You just don't know. In a situation like this, you would need a long and proper quarantine and might still be putting your other BP at risk. Would trying to safe this guy be worth the risk to your other BP?

Anyway, my two cents, given your situation, as you said, wait for a safer opportunity and a better time for you and your family.
    It's a harsh truth... One I've surprisingly not had that much of an issue with most times (I'm not a bleeding heart that feels the need to save everything in sight). But something about this one instance got to me, and I don't know why. Maybe it's that visceral, very real feeling of seeing an animal in distress that I could easily physically go pick up and take home to nurture, namely a type of animal that I've been in deep thought over giving a home to in an adoptive/rescue context for some time now.

But, that harsh truth feels that much more real to me now and, it sucks... It really sucks...

There's nothing for it however but to get myself to a point where my own life is in check. That way I'll be more prepared from all angles for the challenges that taking in an adoptee will bring. If anything perhaps, it's further motivation not just to better my own future, but the future of those living with me by extension.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-22-2021),dakski (03-22-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You can’t save them all. Me, I’d offer $25 an come up to $50 tops. This coming from the guy that’s picking up two more Sour Mugs today.

Good Luck!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-22-2021)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast