Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,829

1 members and 2,828 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: My first baby snake!

It finally happened - he tried to eat me! He's usually pretty chill once he's in my hands, but I had put him down to weigh him. I think my hands moving around above him may have triggered food mode. He's only gained 5 or 6 grams (which is what the vet predicted he should be gaining at his size - a couple grams a month), so I don't think he's quite at two pinkies yet, but possibly soon!

Anyway, Saturday was my fourth cleaning and mite treatment of his cage, and today I saw no mites when changing his paper towels! Hopefully this means it is coming to an end.

Also, not sure if I mentioned before, but I'm calling him Leviathan.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TayKiren For This Useful Post:

aurum (06-10-2021),Bogertophis (06-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Tell him he can't have YOUR "pinkies"- he has to wait for his own! It's not unusual for our hands to confuse or scare a little snake- I think I'd forget & forgive, lol.

Hope it's the last of his mites, too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Nearly all the King snakes I’ve had over the years have been ‘bitey’ whilst in the viv but they’re were all ‘where’s the food’ nips

Everyone was perfect once they were out of the viv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Okay so I put the thawed pinky (in a baggie) under the heat emitter right out of the fridge as I've seen other people do it, but now I'm paranoid. Can that cook it? It was pretty close to the bb for about twenty minutes and was very warm. I don't want to feed it to him if it could be cooked.
    Last edited by TayKiren; 08-08-2021 at 01:59 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TayKiren View Post
    Okay so I put the thawed pinky (in a baggie) under the heat emitter right out of the fridge as I've seen other people do it, but now I'm paranoid. Can that cook it? It was pretty close to the bb for about twenty minutes and was very warm. I don't want to feed it to him if it could be cooked.
    King snakes do NOT need nor care if their prey is warmed, & since heat promotes spoilage (& yes, can cook it too), I'd avoid doing that. No point- just feed him once it's thawed, & pinkies thaw VERY fast. It won't hurt to offer him THIS pinkie- he won't likely care, but I wouldn't keep doing that.

Thanks
    Oh I know he doesn't care if it's warm lol I just thought cold food was bad for snakes? Or is it okay as long as it's fully thawed? Honestly you're a life saver with how often you answer my questions haha.

Thanks

Oh I know he doesn't care if it's warm lol I just thought cold food was bad for snakes? Or is it okay as long as it's fully thawed? Honestly you're a life saver with how often you answer my questions haha.
    You don't want to feed icy cold prey to snakes, but thawing in normal cold water is just fine. That's what I've done for many years. It's only when you have fussy snakes like BPs, that rely on their heat-sensing pits to "find" their prey that you need to literally warm the prey so they're fooled into thinking it's "live" & accept it.

Pinkies thaw in minutes in cold tap water. When thawing larger prey, you want to feel it by hand to make sure it feels "soft" & flexible thru-out.

In winter, when the cold tap does feel closer to ice water, that's the only time I might add some warm water to the cold that I thaw prey in. You basically want the prey to be about room temperature, not literally "warm".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-08-2021 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks

SO I have a crazy update I guess? Levi (I don't remember if I ever introduced his name on this thread but that's what I went with) went missing around mid October because I stupidly left his cage unlocked, something I had NEVER done before. But my dad just found him out in the gARAGE. I put him in a bath of room temp water and he was so thirsty. I'm wondering what to do from here. I still have his cage set up, so I put him in there but turned the temperature down since it was cold in the garage. Do you think it's necessary to gradually heat him up or just go back to normal later tonight/tomorrow? Also, I was planning on feeding him Thursday (smaller meal than he was eating before), but should I wait longer? He seems to have some stuck shed, but I didn't want to freak him out anymore than he was by messing with that today, especially since I figured getting him hydrated would help. Should I just wait until he sheds again to see if he gets it off?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TayKiren; 01-10-2023 at 12:45 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TayKiren For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-10-2023)

Thanks
    You didn't mention how cold the garage is & how big the difference is, but off-hand I'd say warm him somewhat gradually, & do NOT feed him for at least a week or two after he's been at "normal" temperatures.

He needs more time to rehydrate- a dehydrated snake cannot digest & he'll likely regurgitate if you feed him too soon, which can cause real harm, especially now. It's unlikely he'd want to eat yet anyway, but hopefully you'll see signs of his appetite returning when it's time. When you feed him, feed smaller than what he was eating before, & allow more time to digest- easy does it.

I'm glad you found him, but he needs "TLC" now. Make sure he has a bowl of water big enough to soak in as much as he wants- hopefully he'll get the stuck shed off before too long.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (01-10-2023),Homebody (01-10-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Do you think it's necessary to gradually heat him up or just go back to normal later tonight/tomorrow?
    You should gradually raise his body temperature to room temperature (70 - 75F). I would think that a few hours would suffice. After that, I think you can power up his basking spot. Start off at room temp and slowly raise it (5F per day) until you reach his normal basking temp. You don't want to shock him with a sudden and dramatic temperature change. Also, you haven't been running this heat source for months, so you need to be see that the thermostat is properly regulating your heat source.
    Also, I was planning on feeding him Thursday (smaller meal than he was eating before), but should I wait longer?
    I would hold off on feeding him for at least a week to give him time to settle back in.
    He seems to have some stuck shed, but I didn't want to freak him out anymore than he was by messing with that today, especially since I figured getting him hydrated would help. Should I just wait until he sheds again to see if he gets it off?
    Unless the stuck shed is on his eyes or tail tip, I'd leave him alone until he's had three meals. Getting him eating again is a higher priority.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-10-2023)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast