Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,986

2 members and 1,984 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video Of Boas

Thanks

Re: Video Of Boas

Nice cinematography.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-19-2021)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Great video, always enjoy seeing them in a natural habitat.

Envious of your proposed Costa Rica trip Richard! I'd love to do something similar one day.

Boas do love to climb and are very good at it! As an indoor safe alternative, mine sometimes enjoy exploring the cat trees (cats are kept separate). No current photos but here's an old one from 2000 of 2 diff boas having fun. You can make jungle gyms and lean large wood against walls/windows and they can go explore. I used to have a whole room with tunnels and branches and would just let the big boas go in there for a few hours, I need to do that again.

she'd climb all the way to the top and then just chill out up there watching everything
    Thanks April, hopefully I get there
    Was supposed to go to Mexico last year for our 10yr anniversary but got cancled because of covid, rebooked for this September but not even sure taht will happen, really hope it does
    My boas have always loved to climb too

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (03-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Wow, this is a really nice video. Thanks for sharing, Gio! It looks like this channel has a couple other nice snake videos, too.

This is the kind of snake content I'm really looking for nowadays. It's nice to see how our snakes' wild cousins go about their day and interact with their environment. One thing that really stuck out to me was the difference in the BIs' locomotion as they navigated different ground cover -- in particular, that large BI kind of "stepping" over that brush in its opening shot. (Also, it it just me, or was that Dumeril's sidewinding in that overhead shot?). All of those different types of locomotion work and build different muscle groups.

For people who are really in to naturalistic cage design (like me), it's also very nice to see what habitats wild boas are actually using. iNaturalist has also been a bit helpful on this front.

Thinking about how we can use this knowledge to better our keeping of snakes -- I think switching up substrates or having patches or mixes of different substrates in an enclosure would be a good way to replicate natural terrain's variation and get boas to engage different muscle groups over ground. Lori Torrini has a video or two out about this, I believe. Offering different types of perching and climbing structure would also help -- ie. a mix of shelves and branches, perches made of different materials, etc.. AbsoluteApril's cat trees are a great idea for a good climbing challenge outside of the enclosure! Personally, I'd love to be able to get a good-sized faux tree or one of those large parrot perching trees for my boas to climb while they're out. Those tend to cost an arm and a leg, though, so they'll probably be getting a laundry drying rack instead.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

aurum (03-19-2021),Bogertophis (03-18-2021),EL-Ziggy (03-19-2021),Gio (03-19-2021),Hugsplox (03-19-2021),jmcrook (03-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    ...(Also, it it just me, or was that Dumeril's sidewinding in that overhead shot?)...
    Yes, I saw it that way too. Except I'm sure that it was making more ground contact than sidewinders do- they sort of "skip" over the often-HOT ground.

Hint: Once in a while you find a large fake tree donated to a thrift store- usually dusty but WAY cheaper. Like from an office 'make-over'.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-18-2021 at 09:13 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (03-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

This was so cool to watch, thanks for sharing!

I watched it during the day in my office and then spun it up again last night for the wife. My 18 month old was loosing her mind going "ooooh aaaah." She's been around reptiles since birth so it was awesome for her to get to see some bigger snakes in their natural environment.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-19-2021),EL-Ziggy (03-19-2021),richardhind1972 (03-19-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12