Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,855

0 members and 2,855 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Climbing for Coastal - Advice Please

I asked for help in preparing for a new Coastal Carpet Python, and the response from the forum was great. I appreciate the help and took everyone's advice (although I still can't find a copy of The Complete Carpet Python)!

I'm going with the A20 from Animal Plastics (48W x 24D x 36H), and it will have a basking shelf. I am looking for items that my guy will be able to climb on. I purchased Branch B6 (23" x 2.5") from Eden Enclosures, but I was looking to add to this. I am considering EONMIR's 8-Foot Reptile Vines (Thick) and/or Zoo Med's Sandblasted Grapevine 30-40 inches. I have included pictures. What have you used?

After this the next thing is a name, which will be hard. I have 16 guy names and 3 girl names!

LAST: I have had two ball pythons (Ares and Aristotle). Should I list them in my signature, or is that only for current snakes?

Thanks again!!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I don't keep Morelia, but many rat snakes that are climbers & branch-lovers too. All those options will work, as will bamboo poles cut to fit & secured in place, or some even use PVC pipes also.

Personally, I prefer the natural sandblasted branches, also driftwood & branches from my trees, & their texture gives snakes a secure grip, but they have a down-side- their texture collects dirt & germs, & is harder to keep clean*. That's why we all don't use the same things. But they all "work".

*Not impossible though: you could first coat them with a clear non-toxic water repellent coating, or just do like I do...periodically wash with soap & water, & bake in a low oven 150* for about an hour to kill germs, OR spray them with the same disinfectant I use routinely to clean my snake's homes, & then sun-dry them. Just realize that wood absorbs things, man-made items don't.

Your "signature" is your call- some include past pets too, it's fine way to pay them tribute. Some include non-reptile pets also.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-17-2021 at 06:12 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (03-17-2021),Maximus (03-18-2021)

Thanks

Re: Climbing for Coastal - Advice Please

Thanks! I really like the idea of Bamboo Poles and driftwood! Gives me something else to look into!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Thanks! I really like the idea of Bamboo Poles and driftwood! Gives me something else to look into!
    You'll find bamboo poles in home improvement stores sometimes, but I got mine on sale from a local large feed & farm supply place. Some ppl use rope to connect them into a wide climbing "ladder" or jungle gym- it looks cool & offers some traction too.

My best driftwood (5' of snakey-curves) followed me home from a river I was kayaking one fine day. I couldn't leave it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You'll find bamboo poles in home improvement stores sometimes, but I got mine on sale from a local large feed & farm supply place. Some ppl use rope to connect them into a wide climbing "ladder" or jungle gym- it looks cool & offers some traction too.

My best driftwood (5' of snakey-curves) followed me home from a river I was kayaking one fine day. I couldn't leave it.
    I've found a decent amount of bamboo poles online. What kind of diameter would a Coastal like the best? I was thinking of going with a couple bamboo poles, one 3in in diameter and the other 4in. Of course, they come in all kinds of different diameters, so it's easy to select the most appropriate size. If they are flame cured would I need to worry about the poles holding on to bugs/germs?

Turns out I DID NOT purchase a branch from Eden Enclosures. They were out and forgot to remove the item from their page. Got a refund with no issues.

Leaning towards Kraken for the name. I love the rum and I want the chance to yell, "Release the Kraken!" If not Kraken, we may go with Malakii. I still have another 12 names, but my wife likes those two.
    Planning For:
    Burmese Python
    Name TBD

Previous Snakes
    2 Ball Pythons:
    Aristotle
    Ares