Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,053

2 members and 3,051 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Hey, congratulations on your beautiful new snake! And for taking a week to prepare the right set-up first, before bringing her home...how I wish everyone did that.

Your local store owner sounds both experienced & helpful- most snakes are nippy at first, it's just instinctive fear 'talking'- be patient, it really pays off. Looking forward to your updates-
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

55fingers (03-19-2021),dakski (03-19-2021)

Thanks
    Very cool, unique girl! Almost Ocelot-ish. (Ocelots pop out sometimes when Jags are crossed into Jungles.)

Yes on others' suggestions on cage and prey. Smaller and simpler on both counts are your friends with a new critter.

Lookin' forward to updates!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alicia For This Useful Post:

55fingers (03-19-2021),dakski (03-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: New to Morelia, Many Questions

You picked a real beauty 55! It sounds like she’s well established too so hopefully everything will go smoothly for you. Most of my carpets took to rats pretty easily, only the Bredli is a bit of a mouser, and even he will take rats occasionally, or if I starve him out. All the others eat mice, rats, and chicks. Hopefully yours will eat whatever you offer. Congratulations again! Looking forward to lots of updates and pictures.

��MM4L��
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 03-19-2021 at 01:53 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

55fingers (03-20-2021),dakski (03-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanks for all the help! I'm hoping to take her home on Thursday if all goes well. Although I've run into a problem with temps.

Here's her setup, I ended up getting a 52qt from Home Depot, I don't think it'll be a problem as it's almost the same dimensions as the 10 gallon she's currently in atm but if it seems to affect or stress her out I'll address it. I set up a few of those perches often used in bird cages to give her the option of climbing if desired.

As you can see, the temps are NOT what I want. Humidity could also be higher. I'm going to leave it overnight and see how it goes, but I'm unsure what to do if it doesn't improve.

So, this is the first time I will ever have 2 snakes at the same time, so it is my first time quarantining. I am aware that they should preferably be in another room, have separate equipment, and sanitize appropriately between handling, for at least 2 months. I live in the basement, keep my ball python in my bedroom, and use a space heater to keep the room warm when needed. I will be switching him and the carpet python to PVC enclosures with RHPs ASAP so the ambient of my room is less of a worry as it is with tubs.

This being said, it seems the only way to get the temps up would be to keep them both in my room. Any other room is 50-60-ish usually, whereas I keep mine around 70-75-ish if I can.

I have heard of people quarantining in the same room before when they have very few animals, and that they just use separate equipment and keep the animals at opposite sides of the room. Would this defeat the purpose completely? I could keep one of them in my closet and the other in the opposite corner of the room. I'm just not sure if it would be effective at that point.

This is the downside of tubs. I can't wait until I get the PVC enclosures in (and find where I can get RHPs.. everywhere seems to be out of stock recently )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12