Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 688

0 members and 688 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Need permit to Sell Pet Snakes in FL?

Just checking- Can anyone advise if a permit is required to sell a pair of pet snakes in FL? I was told this at a pet shop but want to verify if it is correct and see if anyone has any experience. I purchased 2 snakes last year that I am hoping to resell and want to make sure I am doing it correctly. Tried finding info on FWRC website but it was not clear.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moved this to the Business forum, as replies are disabled in the For Sale forum. Discussion on Florida laws and permitting is fine, but you may not engage in actual sales talk in this forum (discussing prices or other sales related details about your snakes, or engaging in discussion with a potential buyer).
    Last edited by mlededee; 03-16-2021 at 08:16 PM.
    - Emily

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-16-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To follow up on this, there have been recent changes in Florida law regarding the possession and sale of certain species of reptiles. We encourage any necessary discussion of these changes and how to legally own and sell these species. We want people to be able to come here to get answers and learn how to best handle their situations regarding these new regulations.

Anyone that has snakes to sell, will need to place their ads in the For Sale forum. Sales are not allowed on the open forum, but we are allowing discussion on the legalities surrounding sales so that people may be informed on how to go about selling their animals.
    - Emily

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-16-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Need permit to Sell Pet Snakes in FL?

Quote Originally Posted by Howitzer View Post
    Just checking- Can anyone advise if a permit is required to sell a pair of pet snakes in FL? I was told this at a pet shop but want to verify if it is correct and see if anyone has any experience. I purchased 2 snakes last year that I am hoping to resell and want to make sure I am doing it correctly. Tried finding info on FWRC website but it was not clear.

Thanks.
    Depends on what you are selling. I don't sell snakes but I do keep and buy them in FL. Whether or not you need a permit to sell, I know I ran into sellers who are hobby breeders or don't have a permit to do so and they sell them anyway, even in places like expos. Keep in mind that they are selling the non prohibited species like corns and ball pythons, so again I have no idea what you are selling. The only time I had seen FWC enforce their rules was at Underground Reptiles, when I was there to pick up feeders, there were FWC officers as well as the sheriff there. I know that UG keep venomous snakes and some prohibited species (ie burmese) though they largely removed them out of sight now for se reason. So to answer your question, I would say if you are selling non-prohibited species that is not on the list, and it is not a native species protected by the state (we can't keep Eastern Indigos here, they are endangered and protected by law), you should be fine.

Lastly, you can email them or call them directly with your questions. I do that sometimes when I thought I found an invasive animal. They respond within 24-48 hours by email and they are very nice on the phone.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 03-16-2021 at 09:39 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-16-2021)

Thanks

Re: Need permit to Sell Pet Snakes in FL?

Awesome! THanks!