Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,829

2 members and 2,827 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: First big snake?

Here is my girl Artemis. She is 62.50% kalatoa. Not quite 8ft long at 2 years old. She is a great snake to keep, Haven't found one bad thing to say about her. But others are right urine and urates are more frequent for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattEvans For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-16-2021),Bogertophis (03-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    I don't necessarily agree that people are exaggerating their bad experiences with retics.

JM, myself and 2 others all had either pure SD or Dwarf x SD x Mainland mixes.

My experience started out relatively good.

Then over the course of a few months went completely south.

See the posts here.
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...e+semi+graphic

This guy is top notch if you are looking for information.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/ReachOutReptiles/videos

I spoke to him for over an hour about my situation. I tried about everything he suggested during our call but my retic and I were not suited to be partners.

If you decide to go for it, please make sure you have a Plan B. You can read in my link that I gave my guy to an experienced breeder. GAVE him away.

The last thing I wanted to do would have been to put the animal down for being what it is.

I was happy I pre-planned my way out of the situation as I didn't know exactly how things would end.

Unfortunately for me, JM and 2 others here, the 2 others here had male retics related to mine, we all ended up having major issues.

I was able to hold out the longest, but I ended up getting tagged more than once and becoming extremely turned off.

I was offered a free retic for giving the breeder my fella but I turned that down and just asked that my snake receive a good home.

Big is fine, but be prepared for 20 or more years with a big animal that may not be able to cross state lines if you move. Be prepared to have another person to help you. Even 9 foot retics are no joke when things go wrong.

I spent 10 minutes solo with an 8-9 footer latched onto my hand and curled around both arms trying to get him to release.

Not fun and pretty lucky to have had the knowledge to stay calm and work through the situation.

My wife was home but she never heard me yell to get her assistance.

I was not ready to hurt the snake badly during the struggle as I knew all he had was my hand.

I am fascinated by the species and I loved my guy when he was smaller and non-combative.

Retics just aren't for everyone.

You have to be ready for size and other possible issues.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Gio; 03-15-2021 at 03:51 PM.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-16-2021),Bogertophis (03-15-2021),dakski (03-15-2021),EL-Ziggy (03-15-2021),GoingPostal (03-15-2021),jmcrook (03-15-2021),Sonny1318 (03-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I've never kept a retic, but for the reasons that have been outlined here (as well as laws in my state).

-They are big and active - too big to handle alone in most cases, especially if not a complete dwarf.

-I hope you like cleaning tanks.

-They can rub their faces and hurt themselves.

-Very aggressive feeders - so are my boas, but a 7-8FT Boa is not the same as 12FT Retic reach wise.

-My understanding is that medium size snakes like boas and Carpet Pythons (I have 3 boas and 1 carpet) are a little more predictable, especially the boas, than a retic can be.

-Male retics especially can be an issue once they mature

If you are sure you want one, I would be sure your living situation is good indefinitely, you have extra money for vet bills and good health insurance as retic bites are no joke at all, a proper cage and room for it, etc.

Buy from a reputable breeder and get a female.

Understand what you see is not what you might get. In other words, young snakes can behave differently than adult snakes.

Have a lot of experience and hook train. Have a lot of extra time. Retics are demanding animals. Have someone else who can help you handle the animal and is very comfortable with larger snakes.

Why did you get rid of your BCC and why are you thinking of rehoming your carpet?
    Last edited by dakski; 03-15-2021 at 04:07 PM.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-16-2021),Bogertophis (03-15-2021),EL-Ziggy (03-15-2021),Gio (03-15-2021),GoingPostal (03-15-2021),Hugsplox (03-15-2021),Sonny1318 (03-15-2021)

Thanks
    This behavior is what I was dealing with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKnBVWZ8hA4

The keeper here is far more advanced and experienced than I am/was.

Nothing about this looks fun or relaxing. I love the hobby, and not being able to relax and enjoy the snakes I have, goes against the reasons I keep reptiles.

I'm certainly not saying they are all bad. Females seem to be easier to keep than males.

This same keeper makes an interesting statement about male retics.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6B-nBfslY
    He says the males can get just as big as the females. They are a combative mating species so that makes sense. It applies to many of the carpets.

I have found the SD and Dwarf blood to run a little "hotter" than pure mainland. They move fast and in my experience seem to be more edgy.

Without knowing your experience levels, your long term plans, age and whether you are an established home owner I can't really gauge the situation.

I normally just tell folks I don't recommend retics.
    Last edited by Gio; 03-15-2021 at 04:10 PM.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-16-2021),Bogertophis (03-15-2021),dakski (03-15-2021),EL-Ziggy (03-15-2021),GoingPostal (03-15-2021),Hugsplox (03-15-2021),jmcrook (03-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Fortune cookie say: It's one thing to admire a beautiful creature...but that doesn't always mean you can live happily with it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-15-2021),EL-Ziggy (03-15-2021),Gio (03-15-2021),Hugsplox (03-16-2021),jmcrook (03-15-2021),MattEvans (03-15-2021),Sonny1318 (03-15-2021)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Lots of great advice already given. You can't go wrong reaching out to Reach Out Reptiles (ba-dum-tis). That's where our babies go, here is an older video of him going through some of our family's collection
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxR7H6ucT0

Agreed with prior statements that males can be just as big as females and females are *generally* more docile, both sexes can be dominant though and both will from time to time smash their faces up, we have yet to find the perfect way to stop that annoying behaviour.
    They are not for everyone. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    For the Horde!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-16-2021),dakski (03-16-2021),Gio (03-16-2021),Hugsplox (03-16-2021),jmcrook (03-16-2021)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    one thing I meant to add as it relates to your first question - it's tough for someone to come say 'oh this location will max out 12ft' because there are general sizes but there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule
    super dwarf localities that have the most potential for staying small would be Karompa (don't think you can find any), Madu (also none for sale, long wait list) and then Kalatoa, these are the truest super dwarf localities. Mostly you will find % mixes. Jampea and Selayar Islands are dwarfs and Kayuadi are generally on the edge of super dwarf. Please keep in mind dwarf and super dwarf are general descriptive terms created to get an idea of potential sizes.
    For the Horde!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-18-2021),dakski (03-16-2021),Gio (03-16-2021),jmcrook (03-16-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    Lots of good info already given. So I will just say best of luck in what ever you choose!
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Lots of good advice so far. When I see something nice, the first thing I look up is the enclosure size. Not the bare minimum, stick it in a tub forever, enclosure. I always try to go past the 'minimum' either now or later after my snake grows up, because enrichment is just as important as anything else in pet keeping. For retics, new information surfaced that they do enjoy climbing as well as being terrestrial. Are you able to provide such large space, including height space, for such a big snake? I can picture a retic may need like a small room to accomplish all of its enrichment needs. Please don't stick such a wonderful active snake like retics in a bin. Also the bigger the enclosure, the more you will have work with your heat sources to make sure the husbandry stays right.

So for me, it's deal breaker if I know now or in the future I would never want to or be able to provide such enclosure. I would love to have an Eastern Indigo if it is ever legal to do so in my state, but I know I can't because of their space needs. I would love to have a sulcata tortoise, but it would most likely stay indoors and no one in my family will inherit it, and those animals would destroy my house if forced inside all the time lol.

Unless you have someone who is willing to take your snake, don't expect anyone else including your local zoo to take it should you change your mind.

Anyways, good luck with your decision.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-18-2021),dakski (03-18-2021),Gio (03-18-2021),GoingPostal (03-18-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    Lots of good advice so far. When I see something nice, the first thing I look up is the enclosure size. Not the bare minimum, stick it in a tub forever, enclosure. I always try to go past the 'minimum' either now or later after my snake grows up, because enrichment is just as important as anything else in pet keeping. For retics, new information surfaced that they do enjoy climbing as well as being terrestrial. Are you able to provide such large space, including height space, for such a big snake? I can picture a retic may need like a small room to accomplish all of its enrichment needs. Please don't stick such a wonderful active snake like retics in a bin. Also the bigger the enclosure, the more you will have work with your heat sources to make sure the husbandry stays right.

So for me, it's deal breaker if I know now or in the future I would never want to or be able to provide such enclosure. I would love to have an Eastern Indigo if it is ever legal to do so in my state, but I know I can't because of their space needs. I would love to have a sulcata tortoise, but it would most likely stay indoors and no one in my family will inherit it, and those animals would destroy my house if forced inside all the time lol.

Unless you have someone who is willing to take your snake, don't expect anyone else including your local zoo to take it should you change your mind.

Anyways, good luck with your decision.
    Nice call,

Without a doubt retics are semi arboreal. My old retic has been the second most arboreal snake I've owned. He was in the "canopy" more than the boa and the coastal carpet.

Only my newest addition, the Bredli is perched more, and the royal, not so much although she will climb now and then.

If you are looking into the type of snake that I least recommend (retic), you will want to present it with a nice set of options.

This guy was pushing 9 feet and used every inch of the 6' x 30" x 2' cage. I loved the snake and his activities, but as I stated earlier the attitude was horrendous.

Here are a few enclosure photos.

You get the idea here.

The SD and dwarf localities are more reliant on migratory bird patterns and other seasonal events for food. I suspect they climb more frequently but I have seen some mainland retics using huge trees.

Honestly IF and you decide to go this route and you do get a nonaggressive animal, I think you'll be rewarded. They are like noting else.

Unfortunately I was dealing with this.

He was ready for a go almost every time I opened the doors because he pretty much lost his mind at the 3 year old mark.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-18-2021),EL-Ziggy (03-18-2021),jmcrook (03-18-2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast