Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,089

1 members and 3,088 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: Do these enclosures look salvageable?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    So really, take your time- if you still want to consider a used enclosure, you don't want to be buying someone's "train wreck"- be picky! (Might try running a free "want" ad too?)

I'm not a fan of the PVC-acrylic enclosures (I tried a couple in the past, but I keep mostly colubrids & much prefer glass tanks), but anyway, I'm trying to recall, there used to be one or 2 companies that would send you the pieces to assemble the enclosure yourself. That saves a lot of $ on the shipping, & it's faster because they don't have to make it & store it someplace- but I just don't remember which ones did that, nor do I know if anyone still does? -but others here might know, so just ask.

IF for any reason you can't find or afford what you really want & you feel your BP needs more room quickly, you could always do a "tub" conversion as a temporary solution- it's not my personal preference, but many here use tubs one way or another & can advise you on setting one up. That would honestly be better than buying a used enclosure that's in bad shape, risky for your pet, or the wrong size. That would "buy you plenty of time" to shop for just the right thing.
    Something my mother brings up every time I mention tubs, and one I keep forgetting a good answer for, how do you heat those without, well, melting the plastic? Do UTHs not get hot enough (if regulated which of course mine is)? And how do I use the CHE since that would definitely melt the plastic lid? Cut out a hole and cover it with a wire mesh for it to hover over (not sit directly on)?

As an aside though, your comment on colubrids is exactly why I'm going to lowkey try and keep the tanks as they would actually appreciate the verticality of a tank and on average they aren't as picky about humidity. And given my dream snake just happens to be a colubrid (Vietnamese blue beauty rat snake), all the more reason to do so. Though at 7-8 feet it would outgrow even a 55, but they'd make for nice "growing out" enclosures.

Of course, the priority now is to get my current snake's living quarters situation all squared away first. I've always had a problem with thinking too far ahead though, sue me.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Some UTH "can" get hot enough to at least warp plastic, but that's why you regulate all heat sources, & follow safety instructions for setting up UTH, ie. leave a little air gap to reduce the chance of them over-heating. Still, it's one more reason I love glass: I cannot melt it, nor does it scratch easily. Also nice visibility, & also easy to insulate if needed.

I've seen some tubs modified for CHE, & yes to your general description. Again, not my favorite thing, but I suppose one can make it work safely.

Thinking ahead is a GOOD thing, but not if it makes you buy something that's way more trouble than it's worth. Those first enclosures you asked about...they'd have to pay me to take them & I still wouldn't, lol. Also, shopping for used enclosures online is a bit like shopping for a house or a car online- wait until you see it in person, be critical about looking it over, & take your time doing so. Always be prepared to say "sorry, no thank you" & walk away. It's amazing how things look perfect for our needs online, but when you see it in reality, you realize how deceptive those pictures were, & how much they left out. (I think that's because our minds see what they "want" to see- it's easy to assume the best, that it's a great deal you don't want to miss out on, lol. Good sales people know how to use this to their advantage & they rely on doing so.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-15-2021 at 02:55 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Some UTH "can" get hot enough to at least warp plastic, but that's why you regulate all heat sources, & follow safety instructions for setting up UTH, ie. leave a little air gap to reduce the chance of them over-heating. Still, it's one more reason I love glass: I cannot melt it, nor does it scratch easily. Also nice visibility, & also easy to insulate if needed.

I've seen some tubs modified for CHE, & yes to your general description. Again, not my favorite thing, but I suppose one can make it work safely.

Thinking ahead is a GOOD thing, but not if it makes you buy something that's way more trouble than it's worth. Those first enclosures you asked about...they'd have to pay me to take them & I still wouldn't, lol. Also, shopping for used enclosures online is a bit like shopping for a house or a car online- wait until you see it in person, be critical about looking it over, & take your time doing so. Always be prepared to say "sorry, no thank you" & walk away. It's amazing how things look perfect for our needs online, but when you see it in reality, you realize how deceptive those pictures were, & how much they left out. (I think that's because our minds see what they "want" to see- it's easy to assume the best, that it's a great deal you don't want to miss out on, lol. Good sales people know how to use this to their advantage & they rely on doing so.)
    Completely valid points, but I was alluding to the whole "Thinking about new snake when current snake's needs should be taken care of first" when I mentioned thinking too far ahead. I'm certain it's far from being a thing exclusive to me though.

Regardless, I must be responsible and ensure the needs of the life I'm already in charge of are fully met before even considering taking on another. Especially one who's species could be considered more advanced in terms of care and handling.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Agreed with everyone else telling you to skip on the ones you were originally looking at, and it sounds like you may have made that choice already.

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I also use glass tanks like Bogertophis for my BP, spotted python, and two hognoses. For the BP I've had a tremendous amount of success making some very cheap modifications to the enclosure and my set up now holds humidity and heat very well. I know you may not want to, but it is the cheaper option just to modify something you already have.

That being said, I have a Animal Plastics T10 on order for the BP because he's gonna need the room eventually. For what you were looking to spend on those first enclosures you posted about, why not take a look at some of the PVC options available? Animal plastics, while it'll take forever to get them, has some good options and their T8 is currently on sale for just a few bucks more than what you were gonna spend on those used ones.

Also to echo what is being said about used enclosures. You have to consider why that enclosure is empty. Is this person just getting out of the hobby and rehomed the animal that was in it? Or did the animal have something wrong with it that may still be present in there for your BP to pick up. Take your time looking and then be sure to do a thorough cleaning before moving your snake into anything new or used. It's up to you, but for the price of some of the used enclosures you've linked, you might as well get yourself something new.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-15-2021),EL-Ziggy (03-15-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Agreed with everyone else telling you to skip on the ones you were originally looking at, and it sounds like you may have made that choice already.

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I also use glass tanks like Bogertophis for my BP, spotted python, and two hognoses. For the BP I've had a tremendous amount of success making some very cheap modifications to the enclosure and my set up now holds humidity and heat very well. I know you may not want to, but it is the cheaper option just to modify something you already have.

That being said, I have a Animal Plastics T10 on order for the BP because he's gonna need the room eventually. For what you were looking to spend on those first enclosures you posted about, why not take a look at some of the PVC options available? Animal plastics, while it'll take forever to get them, has some good options and their T8 is currently on sale for just a few bucks more than what you were gonna spend on those used ones.

Also to echo what is being said about used enclosures. You have to consider why that enclosure is empty. Is this person just getting out of the hobby and rehomed the animal that was in it? Or did the animal have something wrong with it that may still be present in there for your BP to pick up. Take your time looking and then be sure to do a thorough cleaning before moving your snake into anything new or used. It's up to you, but for the price of some of the used enclosures you've linked, you might as well get yourself something new.
    At least with AP products in particular (who seem to be the best bang for your buck that I've seen), the issue hasn't been so much price as it is the potential waiting time. The idea of waiting MONTHS for something you paid a good amount of money for is admittedly a little daunting. And the idea of it taking so long that he might outgrow his current home so I have to make a second temporary enclosure until his true permanent one arrives feels a little silly for lack of a better word.

But, that may be my best option at this point anyway. I guess one way to look at it is if getting a T8 really does take so long to the point of needing to modify my 55 gallon to accommodate his growing size, then at least it will already be set for something else in the future (as I've already alluded to) once his permanent home does arrive.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-15-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    ... I guess one way to look at it is if getting a T8 really does take so long to the point of needing to modify my 55 gallon to accommodate his growing size, then at least it will already be set for something else in the future (as I've already alluded to) once his permanent home does arrive.
    In my experience, good tanks or enclosures rarely go to waste...something always seems to move in?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-15-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    At least with AP products in particular (who seem to be the best bang for your buck that I've seen), the issue hasn't been so much price as it is the potential waiting time. The idea of waiting MONTHS for something you paid a good amount of money for is admittedly a little daunting. And the idea of it taking so long that he might outgrow his current home so I have to make a second temporary enclosure until his true permanent one arrives feels a little silly for lack of a better word.

But, that may be my best option at this point anyway. I guess one way to look at it is if getting a T8 really does take so long to the point of needing to modify my 55 gallon to accommodate his growing size, then at least it will already be set for something else in the future (as I've already alluded to) once his permanent home does arrive.
    I won't lie I was a little hesitant ordering from them too. I've been waiting on mine since September, so I can understand the frustration of spending money and then not seeing the result for months and months. I've made a few comments on here, whether right or wrong, I think if you have to put as big of a disclaimer on recommending something as we all do AP products than there's an issue. Don't get me wrong, they are arguably some of the best enclosures on the market, but if they can only be the best if you can get your hands on one.

That being said, there some other highly recommended PVC vendors that you could take a look at if you're interested. All at varying prices, but some of them have much shorter lead times than AP does.

Worst case though, you end up having to wait and set that 55 up as a temporary house, then you have it ready to go for a new friend down the road!
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 03-15-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

I'd sooner start from scratch & build something good- sorry, but I'd run the other way from these.

And not only that, but what I've always said about buying used glass tanks applies here too: you have to wonder what the previous occupants died from, & how on earth are you going to disinfect this?

To me, not worth the risk or the trouble. They remind me of that old movie "The Money Pit" about a couple that buys a huge "bargain" of a house that just needs a few fix-ups- but it turns out to be way more than they bargained for, & not in a good way.
    I bought the townhouse version of that house from the movie, I’d laugh, but it hurts....Lmfao
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-15-2021),Hugsplox (03-15-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    I bought the townhouse version of that house from the movie, I’d laugh, but it hurts....Lmfao
    I once bought the 1994 Chevrolet Monte Carlo version of that house, don't feel bad.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-15-2021),Sonny1318 (03-15-2021)

Thanks
    I'm so glad I could dredge up such fond memories for you both. (sorry!)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-15-2021),Sonny1318 (03-15-2021)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast