Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

4 members and 3,125 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: BP Substrate

Thanks

Lightbulb BP Substrate

Hello there!!
    I am a first time owner of a great 1 year old ball python which I got few days ago.
    The shop I bought it from offers different kind of set ups so I got one which includes pretty much all the essentials, thermostat, CHE, bulb guard, water bowl etc. plus substrate.. When I received it I did not notice much as I was very excited. My question is if this substrate is suitable for a ball python, I guess that if the shop that sells pythons gave it to me it should be but I am a bit concerned as it is more like a compost and a little damp when you touch it and I could not find any information that it is ok for snakes. If anyone has any idea, should I change it?
    Many thanks!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I'm not personally familiar with this product (& can't read your bag ) so a quick look up tells me this is intended for a bio-active set-up (intended to support living plants & tiny living organisms), which is something I don't personally do, but others here do.

I'm currently using Reptibark (by Zoo Med) for a humidity-holding substrate, & I suspect that even if you don't plant a thing in your substrate, it will be fine as well. Like your substrate, my Reptibark feels slightly damp, which gives the humidity that BPs & some other herps need & like. You may need or want to mist it now & then too, btw.

Your Bio Life is meant to duplicate the natural world your snake would inhabit in the wild, so I'm sure it's quite safe as well. Reptibark is not intended to support plant growth (it's made only of fir bark) but is intended to retain good humidity. There's a number of other products around too (such as Forest Floor cypress mulch, & various coco fiber products), some also use natural moss. They all work fine, just whatever you like best.

And also...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-13-2021 at 07:23 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: BP Substrate

Thank you so much for all the information! I will definitely have a look at that

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: BP Substrate

Quote Originally Posted by AnaDim View Post
    Thank you so much for all the information! I will definitely have a look at that
    This same info* is likely on the bag you have, but it explains a bit about "bio-active" substrates. (other substrates are meant to be discarded periodically, this is different if doing "bio-active)

https://www.reptilecentre.com/prorep..._p31143220.htm

*Bio-Life is a mixture of high quality ingredients which are blended to produce a substrate with the ideal properties for growing plants in a jungle setting.
    It will provide adequate nutrients while retaining an open structure to promote healthy root growth and provide a habitat for woodlice, springtails, bacteria and fungi. Bio-active substrates are not designed to be used and replaced in the traditional manner, but rather be allowed to develop into a living ecosystem where waste materials are naturally broken down. They are spot cleaned if necessary and can be partially changed, but complete changes are to be discouraged as they destroy the developing populations of microorganisms.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)