Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 826

2 members and 824 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spotted Python

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Spotted Python

A few weeks ago my local reptile shop got a spotted python in, and I was sold almost immediately. Not wanting to impulse buy, I left him alone and started doing research, but told myself that he’d probably be gone before I felt comfortable enough to bring him home.

Long story short, after letting him sit in the shop for three weeks, he came home with me on Wednesday. I hope you guys enjoy this quick picture my wife got before he went into his quarantine enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Alicia (03-13-2021),aurum (03-12-2021),ballpythonluvr (03-13-2021),Bogertophis (03-12-2021),Caitlin (03-13-2021),dakski (03-12-2021),EL-Ziggy (03-13-2021),GoingPostal (03-30-2021),Homebody (11-05-2021),jmcrook (03-18-2021),richardhind1972 (03-12-2021),WrongPython (03-12-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    You DID it! He's so adorable!!! You fought off an impulse-buy admirably well, but I can see why his cuteness won out...you were doomed from the start.

I like his strong pattern, by the way. Mine is a "granite phase" meaning her pattern is reduced to tiny speckles much like granite- giving her an overall darker & greenish look. It didn't matter one bit to me (it was all about saving her life) but I prefer the pattern yours has, even though my girl is more "exotic". Either way, they're not very common pets in the U.S.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-12-2021)

Thanks

Re: Spotted Python

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You DID it! He's so adorable!!! You fought off an impulse-buy admirably well, but I can see why his cuteness won out...you were doomed from the start.

I like his strong pattern, by the way. Mine is a "granite phase" meaning her pattern is reduced to tiny speckles much like granite- giving her an overall darker & greenish look. It didn't matter one bit to me (it was all about saving her life) but I prefer the pattern yours has, even though my girl is more "exotic". Either way, they're not very common pets in the U.S.
    I held out as long as I could haha, but since these guys are a little more uncommon I thought he’d be a good addition.

He’s doing great already and based on how comfortable he’s appeared in his tank I tried a f/t pinkie tonight and he took it like a champ.

We’re still a few weeks away from doing any handling but I’ll be sure to share some better photos once he’s eating consistently and settled in.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

aurum (03-12-2021),Bogertophis (03-12-2021)

Thanks
    That was similar to my experience with one of these tiny pythons- easily taking food & settling right in. Of course, maybe it's just a coincidence, I don't mean to imply this is true for all of them, based on just 2 examples, but it still bodes very well. I have a good feeling about yours...

While these are still not that well known, they deserve to be better known pets, IMO. What's not to love about a tiny python that remains a practical size?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-12-2021)

Thanks
    He is so cute! I hope he continues to do well for you
    I'm currently deciding between one of these or a children's python as my second snake.
    0.1 Speckled Kingsnake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    He is so cute! I hope he continues to do well for you
    I'm currently deciding between one of these or a children's python as my second snake.
    Both good choices, as far as I can tell there's not a big difference between those 2? Spotteds are a little bigger, but that's not saying much.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-12-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Nice Hugsplox. They are awesome "little" snakes. Python demeanor and attitude in a small package. I was tempted by one a while back, but I am out of room and time!

I'll have to live vicariously through you.

Keep us posted on him!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-12-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Both good choices, as far as I can tell there's not a big difference between those 2? Spotteds are a little bigger, but that's not saying much.
    Yeah, as well as children's possibly being a bit nippier, but that's just a generalization and also I wouldn't really mind. The determining factor for me is probably going to be looks, but I like both and keep changing my mind on which I like more haha. Threads like these are definitely helpful for deciding though. Looking forward to updates!
    0.1 Speckled Kingsnake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Nice Hugsplox. They are awesome "little" snakes. Python demeanor and attitude in a small package. I was tempted by one a while back, but I am out of room and time!

I'll have to live vicariously through you.

Keep us posted on him!
    Thank you! I get what you mean about room and time. This little guy is the last addition until I can decide on one more larger species I want to keep.

Apparently you get some of the same behaviors that you see in some of the larger Aussie pythons, but we’ll see as he grows.

I’ll be sure to get you guys some more photos as soon as he starts exploring a little more, and some much better ones in a few weeks when I start trying to handle him a bit.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

aurum (03-12-2021),Bogertophis (03-12-2021),dakski (03-12-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I'm a very biased and huge fan of all of the Antaresia, so I will just say yay, you got one! Good choice! I have a Stimmie, two Children's and a Pygmy, but no Spotted. I don't experience big temperament differences in any of mine. They are all delightful, inquisitive snakes that respond really well to enrichment and training and are easy keepers.

I keep hearing that Children's can be nippy, and I am not questioning that...but my two are a couple of the most gentle little snakes you can imagine. They calmly climb right onto my hands and seem to enjoy 'visiting'. I know the folks who have a couple of their siblings, and apparently the whole clutch has the same fearless yet serene temperament. Maybe it's a function of number of generations being captive-bred; maybe it's a function of genetics contributing to temperament that we don't yet understand. I just know my experience with them has been overwhelmingly positive. The Pygmy is the same, but there are so few breeders of these tiny pythons in the U.S. that their price tends to be a little prohibitive.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

aurum (03-13-2021),Bogertophis (03-13-2021),Hugsplox (03-13-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast