Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,905

2 members and 2,903 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Oil Heater Thermostat Options?... Failsafe?

Hello!

I know this question has been asked before, but several products seem to have disappeared... I know oil radiators used with a 1500W or higher thermostat are a common option for heating reptile rooms.

In the past, Herpstat HP (High Power) was made specifically for this purpose, but I cannot find it anywhere? I’m not sure if it has been discontinued. Similarly, the VE-Hi Power was made for the same purpose, but again this has been out of stock on Reptile Basics for well over a year, although I am unsure if it has been discontinued. Herpstat is usually my go-to for thermostats as I feel they are the safest.

If anyone knows if these products are discontinued or if Herpstat will make another 1500W rated thermostat for oil heaters let me know. Are there really so few reptile keepers in cold states that they discontinued these products?

Currently I am looking at the bayite BTC211 or the Johnson Control A421ABG-02C. Both pre wired and rated 1500W or higher. Some subpar reviews make me a little nervous with these products for obvious reasons... however Wilbanks Reptiles uses the bayite with an oil heater in their incubator rooms so maybe they are good enough?

Also, is it possible to use both, or 2 of the same to act as a failsafe similar to what some people do for snake racks? That is, plug oil heater into one thermostat, set temp, then plug into another thermostat and set to a higher temp as a failsafe.

Here are the products I am considering, but if anyone has any other knowledge about Herpstat or other products I would love to know.
    https://www.wilbanksreptiles.com/pro...category_id=71
    https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Contr...JHA?th=1&psc=1
    (Change style to ABG to see pre wired)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Herpstat HP isn't made anymore AFAIK, I missed out on getting one too. I had a ranco, bought off boaphile for mine but it quit working after about a year and I haven't replaced it yet because I haven't found a better alternative, so I've just been running it on low and occasionally adjusting with temp changes. I have heard of several people running them on a backup failsafe, totally doable.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Future Generation (03-11-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Oil Heater Thermostat Options?... Failsafe?

The VE Hi-Power has been in and out of stock rapidly over the last year. Just have to check back frequently. I got mine from RBI a few months back or so and it works well. Simple on/off with a 2 degree swing to it and has an external night drop feature that I use as well. Had to order the night drop from another supplier as RBI has been out of that for well over a year.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Future Generation (03-11-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Look for a Ranco ETC-111000 on Amazon, rating is for 15A at 120V so 1800W, which is plenty for your heater.
    Last edited by bcr229; 03-12-2021 at 12:41 AM.