Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,694

1 members and 2,693 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Ball_Pythons4life's Avatar
    Thanks

Super Scaleless Head, the Morph With no Scales

Ok, so they have belly scales, but close enough. What are your guy's thoughts on this interesting morph? ( I know other species of snakes have had this morph, but it looks pretty cool on bps)

Thanks

Re: Super Scaleless Head, the Morph With no Scales

I think they're cool and if they're kept with proper precautions I think they're a neat morph that should be kept. However there has been a rumor that females are sterile and can't breed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Ball_Pythons4life (03-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,797 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I can only hope they're sterile & cannot reproduce. I prefer snakes with scales, as natural selection "decided" that was the most viable option. Pretty defects are still defects, sorry.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ball_Pythons4life (03-09-2021),Hugsplox (03-09-2021),Spicey (03-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I can only hope they're sterile & cannot reproduce. I prefer snakes with scales, as natural selection "decided" that was the most viable option. Pretty defects are still defects, sorry.
    Agreed 100%, I'm not sure how similar these are to silkie bearded dragons, but it's a whole other level of care and issues that they come with just to look "cool."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-09-2021)

Registered User Ball_Pythons4life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thankfully this doesn't occur in the wild, because scales are mainly for reducing friction so they can move faster. Its an interesting thing to see though, like a bird with no feathers.
    Last edited by Ball_Pythons4life; 03-09-2021 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ball_Pythons4life View Post
    Thankfully this doesn't occur in the wild, because scales are mainly for reducing friction so they can move faster. Its an interesting thing to see though, like a bird with no feathers.
    It's not just reducing friction- it's protection for their whole body- protection from the sun, & from injuries. It probably has occurred in the wild, but they just didn't live long enough to be found, except as a meal for something else. It wouldn't be fun being so "thin-skinned".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ball_Pythons4life (03-10-2021)

Thanks
    I think they're weird looking. I personally don't like them.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Ball_Pythons4life (03-10-2021),Bogertophis (03-09-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    I think they're weird looking. I personally don't like them.
    Yeah, I agree. They're freaky to me too.

I understand the argument that proponents make- that they're only pets so it doesn't matter, but for me, part of what I love about keeping snakes is that I'm keeping a "wild" animal that can & would survive in the natural world too. I want to preserve them as they evolved, so if some of the wild species do go extinct from their many threats (from humans, loss of habitat, climate, & diseases that flourish in a warming world- such as the white nose disease in bats or the fungus that's disfiguring & killing snakes) if the worst happens, these animals don't disappear.

Other species have been returned to the wild with careful scientific assistance, & I'd like to see that pathway remain open. Scaleless snakes just wouldn't make it- I don't care how pretty or exotic something looks, I want the real-world-survivor-types, not some domesticated version.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ball_Pythons4life (03-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Bogertophis essentially voiced my opinions already. It's one thing select for coloration and such as long as it doesn't cause issues like wobbling, but something about breeding out a beneficial aspect of an animal's anatomy that they possess for good reason like scales, fur, ect. is a step too far if you ask me.

That and it's personal taste and therefore subjective, but they don't even look nice. Like furless animals, they look naked and decrepit; as if they are within days of breathing their last from old age and disease.

I won't be all uppity and demand that such animals should be banned (lord knows we have way too much regulation BS going on as it is) but it's not something I actively support either.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Ball_Pythons4life (03-10-2021),Bogertophis (03-09-2021),dakski (03-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

No one asked, but here's my view.

I am not a big fan of scaleless BP's or essentially scaleless Bearded Dragons. I am not crazy about the look or genetics in scaleless BP's - see below on belly scales. Also, scaleless beardies need special care.

I do have a scaleless corn snake, Solana. Aside from her being a stubborn shedder (she often starts and then just quits and seemingly waits for me to help her), she has had no other health issues and does not need cream rubbed on her like scaleless beardies. She also has scales around her mouth and nose and on her belly, so her locomotion is not affected. Regarding the shedding issue, I have heard other scaleless corns have some issues shedding, but Solana seems worse than most. I've tried all different humidity and that just seems to impact how easy it is for me to help her.

I would not feed Solana live food, but since she's a corn snake, she takes F/T happily.

I've heard that some of the scaleless BP's do not have belly scales and have trouble moving. I am not sure if this is true at all or in some cases.

My opinion is that if it doesn't hurt the animal and doesn't mean adding chemicals or other animals DNA etc. - as in glofish and dyed tetras, to name a few, or means rubbing creams on the animal daily and stressing them out, I am okay with it.

An albino snake wouldn't do well in the wild and the same with many morphs we have in captivity. I look at scaleless corns as just another designer corn - designed for captivity.

I agree it removes the snakes armor, but in captivity, feeding F/T, and having no predators, I do not see it as a huge difference.

Finally, I think morphs, including scaleless corns, have done amazing things for the reptile hobby. They have raised interest and awareness. I think this is a positive. I also agree with Snagrio that fighting with breeders to stop breeding scaleless animals is counterproductive, regardless of your view on them.

The issue of animals that are sterile, have neurological issues (like some BP's and some CP's), is a separate one and one I would argue is not good for the animal or hobby. To be clear, this seems like nature fighting back against the genetics as opposed to not liking something on principle or the way it looks.

Bottom line is your money speaks volumes. If you do not like it, do not support it by buying scaleless animals.
    Last edited by dakski; 03-09-2021 at 08:35 PM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Ball_Pythons4life (03-10-2021),Hugsplox (03-10-2021),nikkubus (03-10-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast