Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 936

3 members and 933 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Question Reptile Egg Tray/Boxes?

What do you guys think about the reptile egg tray/boxes for incubating? Any information you guys can share would be greatly appreciated. For example; How do you set them up? Can you just put wet periite in the bottom? Is there plenty of room for the hatchlings to crawl out of the eggs?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reptile-E...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I'm not breeding snakes any more, but these look to be an interesting concept. I hope anyone who tries them will review them here. I'd honestly be concerned that creatures hatching out might get stuck in those holes, & it's hard to judge their exact size from these pics. I doubt that BPs would be a problem, but skinny rat or king snakes might well be? (& they suggest using them for lizards too?) They give the overall box size, but they should give the size of the individual "cups" too, as reptile eggs come in all sizes.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-08-2021 at 07:34 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (03-08-2021),Hugsplox (03-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts

Re: Reptile Egg Tray/Boxes?

I have three concerns with that box. The first is the same as the previous concern which is that there are a lot of slots and edges that a baby could get stuck or rub an edge the wrong way. The second is that I have had plenty of clutches where 2 or more eggs stuck together in a way that I was not inclined to force them to separate. In that case, the eggs might not fit. The third is whether or not the box is air tight to keep your humidity right. I guess you could add a layer of press and seal between the lid and box but not clear if there is enough clearance from the eggs to do that.

I have always used a 6 qt sterilite, 2 inches of perlite with water to 1.5 inches, a piece of light diffuser to separate the eggs from the perlite, and a piece of press and seal between the tub and lid. All proven, cheap, and reliable.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrLang For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (03-09-2021),Bogertophis (03-09-2021),Erie_herps (03-09-2021),Hugsplox (03-09-2021),jmcrook (03-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    I have three concerns with that box. The first is the same as the previous concern which is that there are a lot of slots and edges that a baby could get stuck or rub an edge the wrong way. The second is that I have had plenty of clutches where 2 or more eggs stuck together in a way that I was not inclined to force them to separate. In that case, the eggs might not fit. The third is whether or not the box is air tight to keep your humidity right. I guess you could add a layer of press and seal between the lid and box but not clear if there is enough clearance from the eggs to do that.

I have always used a 6 qt sterilite, 2 inches of perlite with water to 1.5 inches, a piece of light diffuser to separate the eggs from the perlite, and a piece of press and seal between the tub and lid. All proven, cheap, and reliable.
    Same concern here, especially with the rubbing an edge the wrong way. No offense to Walmart but how animal safe are they making these edges? On top of that, I know you're posting in the BP Breeding area, but I would absolutely not put any lizard eggs in this thing. I can just see geckos losing tails and toes in this thing. I've seen trays that are similar that sit in a sterilite tub to keep your eggs off the perlite, but the issues remain the same.

Maybe we're overthinking it, but sometimes we overcomplicate things with gadgets, and I think this is one of those times.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (03-09-2021),Bogertophis (03-09-2021)

Thanks

I agree that that wouldn't be the best idea, it might work but it very well could be a safety hazard. I agree with the 6qt tub recommendation. When I start to breed ball pythons this is the tutorial I'm going to use: https://community.morphmarket.com/t/...-egg-setup/105.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (03-09-2021),Bogertophis (03-09-2021),Hugsplox (03-09-2021)