Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,824

1 members and 2,823 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Getting a Coastal Carpet Python and Need Help Making Sure I am Prepared!

I am getting a Coastal Carpet Python in the next few months. I ordered the A20 Enclosure from Animal Plastics. It is 36in Tall, 48in Long and 24in deep with a basking shelf. It will come with a 12" x 24" x 1" radiant panel on the inside top of the enclosure.

In addition to these items, I am also looking at the following:

Aspen Snake Bedding
    Hagen Exo Terra Electronic Day/Night Thermostat
    JLENOVEG Reptile Thermometer Humidity and Temperature SensorZoo Med Reptile Shelter 3 in 1 Cave, Large
    Magnaturals Large Hideaway Granite
    Exo Terra Water Dish XL (2.5”Hx10”Wx9.7”D)
    Zoo Med Sandblasted Grapevine Show 30-40 inches
    Eden Enclosures Branch B6 23”Lx2.5”W

Depending on your feedback, I am also looking at:
    Oiibo Reptile Humidifier, Reptile Misting Fogger with Double Extension Tube

I want to make sure I have everything I might need to make sure my Coastal Carpet Python (name/sex TBD) may need. Any advice from you would be greatly appreciated.

The room where he/she will be kept is usually in the mid 70 degrees and mid humidity (right now on March 7 @ 6pm the humidity is 24%).

I have done a lot of reading and think this is everything I need. Any insight from you would be helpful. Does my plan look good? Are some of the things unnecessary? Is there something I forgot? Do I need a heating pad on the ground? I’m not rich by any means, but I have enough money to take care of the snake.

Thank you for your time.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Getting a Coastal Carpet Python and Need Help Making Sure I am Prepared!

If you're already dropping that much on husbandry equipment I'd go just a tad farther and get a Herpstat or Vivarium Electronics thermostat. Many more safety features and programmability.

Also keep in mind that you'll be waiting 7months+ for that enclosure from AP. I keep my hatchling carpets in a simple tub set up and they all thrive and move into larger enclosures incrementally.
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...Quarantine-Tub
    That cage you have ordered should be good for your animal as an adult unless it becomes huge.

Humidifier and fogger aren't really necessary. Use a decent hygrometer and mist the enclosure as needed and you'll be fine.

Also keep an eye out for THE MORE COMPLETE CARPET PYTHON by Nick Mutton and Justin Julander. The first edition of the book is out of print but they're working on the follow up for hopeful release this year. Two of the biggest authorities on Morelia in the country.

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Alicia (03-09-2021),ballpythonluvr (03-09-2021),Bogertophis (03-08-2021),dakski (03-08-2021),Gio (03-10-2021),Hugsplox (03-08-2021),Maximus (03-08-2021),Reinz (03-08-2021),Trinityblood (03-08-2021),WrongPython (03-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

I agree with all that Crook said above. No need for the fogging/misting equipment imo. I’d also go with Reptichip or Reptile Prime bedding over aspen. Best wishes with your new carpet. They’re a very cool species to keep.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-10-2021),jmcrook (03-08-2021),Maximus (03-08-2021)

Thanks

Agreed with the more humidity retaining substrates, depending on local climate in your area OP. I’d go with Pro Coco from a garden supply as its half the price of the others or less and, as an added benefit, doesn’t give support to irresponsible public personalities within the reptile industry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-08-2021),Hugsplox (03-08-2021),Maximus (03-08-2021)

Thanks

Thank you for the great advice! I am taking your advice and adjusting my "To Get" list accordingly.

Something I didn't mention in the OP, I will likely purchase my Coastal from Morph Market. It seems to be the best site I've found for purchasing a Carpet Python. Are there better alternatives I should know about?

Thanks again to everyone that took the time to help me out!
    Last edited by Maximus; 03-08-2021 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Grammar

Thanks

Getting a Coastal Carpet Python and Need Help Making Sure I am Prepared!

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Thank you for the great advice! I am taking your advice and adjusting my "To Get" list accordingly.

Something I didn't mention in the OP, I will likely purchase my Coastal from Morph Market. It seems to be the best site I've found for purchasing a Carpet Python. Are there better alternatives I should know about?

Thanks again to everyone that took the time to help me out!
    While there are some good sellers on MM I can’t say enough praises about Nick Mutton/Inland Reptile. Literally wrote the book on carpet pythons. He’s surely got some coastals on MM as well but check his website too. Lots of great animals with verifiable lineage to back them up and he’ll gladly talk with you at great length about any and everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 03-08-2021 at 11:56 PM.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Alicia (03-09-2021),dakski (03-09-2021),Gio (03-10-2021),Maximus (03-09-2021),WrongPython (03-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

What jmcrook and El-Ziggy said.

Most of what you've outlined sounds like a good cage for an adult coastal carpet, particularly a smaller and lither male. Just ditch the fogger and mister -- unless you're living in the mountains, the ambient humidity in the South means you shouldn't need them -- and use a coco substrate instead of aspen. I'd also recommend sinking some money into a nice Herpstat thermostat.

On heating: consider using your RHP to maintain minimum ambient temps instead of generating a basking spot. A few carpet keepers are actually starting to switch back to heat bulbs and similarly intense, muscle-penetrating heat sources after finding that their snakes like them and start exhibiting more natural behaviors when their used. For what it's worth, I have a 4'x2'x2' PVC enclosure that has an RHP as the sole heat source, and I don't think I'll be building another cage like that. I just get the impression that the boa who has it isn't getting heat as efficiently/deeply/intensely as she'd like.

On baby carpet housing: I can verify that jmcrook's tub setup works. I've got one based off his design up and running for a Papuan carpet that's due to arrive in a few days and it's working well so far!

On top of Nick Mutton (Inland Reptile), I'd also recommend checking out Owen McIntyre (Rouge Reptiles). Owen is one of the hosts of Morelia Python Radio (which you should definitely check out if you haven't already!) and is really into coastal carpets. If you're looking for caramel coastals, he's got some of the nicest around.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Alicia (03-09-2021),ballpythonluvr (03-09-2021),dakski (03-09-2021),Gio (03-10-2021),jmcrook (03-09-2021),Maximus (03-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Delayed edit: pardon my accidental French. Owen's breeding outfit is Rogue Reptiles, not Rouge Reptiles. Darn auto-correct missed that one!
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-10-2021),jmcrook (03-09-2021),Maximus (03-12-2021)