Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,900

1 members and 2,899 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Bear Grylls Says Boa Constrictor Choke Was The Scariest Moment Of His Career

"....maybe eight-foot, boa constrictor in there. They're incredibly dangerous and unpredictable."

Nope totally predictable, You mess with them their gonna defend themselves,

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainme...areer-20210307

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-08-2021),richardhind1972 (03-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Bear Grylls Says Boa Constrictor Choke Was The Scariest Moment Of His Career

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    "....maybe eight-foot, boa constrictor in there. They're incredibly dangerous and unpredictable."

Nope totally predictable, You mess with them their gonna defend themselves,

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainme...areer-20210307
    I really don't care much for this guy and never have. He's admitted on several occasions that a lot of the stuff he does isn't real, and even goes so far as to say that he's an entertainer not an educator when some kind of legality questions come up. The purpose of his shows are for entertainment, and while there may be some bits of useful info he should be treated as what he is, an entertainer.

The issue here is he's a well known celebrity. So this airs and people see it or they read this article and read him say he was scared for his life, then they hear their neighbor has a boa, and now we have an issue based on false information. "Well Bear was scared for his life and my neighbor has this same snake, it's gonna kill my kids" and suddenly we're getting another Usark alert.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-08-2021),dakski (03-08-2021),Gocntry (03-08-2021),Reinz (03-08-2021),richardhind1972 (03-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Bear Grylls Says Boa Constrictor Choke Was The Scariest Moment Of His Career

I agree. I am also torn about sharing information like this on this site.

jmcrook wrote about this the other day as well. Bad enough people like Bear are spreading this crap. We want to be responsible and accurate about the information we share here and want to help the hobby and the animals and hobbyists involved.

I understand we share bite stories from time to time, but usually to show how insignificant they are, or as Gio has done, show why large constrictors are not for everyone (like retics, not Boas). We don't sensationalize it. We also talk a lot about how to avoid bites and keep our reptiles happy and healthy and to use precaution when necessary (and hook train etc.).

Again, torn about this. I really don't want to make USARK's job harder and fuel the fire of people who use misinformation to try to end our loved hobby.

Any thoughts are welcome. I am just thinking out loud here.
    Last edited by dakski; 03-08-2021 at 01:24 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-08-2021),Hugsplox (03-08-2021),Reinz (03-08-2021),richardhind1972 (03-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I agree. I am also torn about sharing information like this on this site.

jmcrook wrote about this the other day as well. Bad enough people like Bear are spreading this crap. We want to be responsible and accurate about the information we share here and want to help the hobby and the animals and hobbyists involved.

I understand we share bite stories from time to time, but usually to show how insignificant they are, or as Gio has done, show why large constrictors are not for everyone (like retics, not Boas). We don't sensationalize it. We also talk a lot about how to avoid bites and keep our reptiles happy and healthy and to use precaution when necessary (and hook train etc.).

Again, torn about this. I really don't want to make USARK's job harder and fuel the fire of people who use misinformation to try to end our loved hobby.

Any thoughts are welcome. I am just thinking out loud here.
    I agree. Jmcrook, if I remember the post, was talking about a video showing free handling venomous snakes and this is along those same lines, especially how a lot of youtubers who do this are so click bait crazy. It's way easier to go online and find examples of people doing "the wrong thing" than it is to find something done correctly and in an educational way.

I don't want to name certain channels because I don't want anyone to go looking, but there's one youtuber in particular who constantly has people over in his reptile room watching him handle an assortment of venomous animals, while wearing shorts and flip flops. Now they put disclaimers in their videos that some of these folks are "trained professionals" but what does that mean exactly? Is there some accreditation board handing out certificates on how not to get tagged by a cobra? I get that some of these channels brand themselves as being educational, but in my book there is zero reason that you need to free handle a venomous snake. I can see it through the glass just fine, and you can tell me everything I need to know about it without endangering yourself and others.

Same with this situation with Bear. I'd be willing to put money on him getting in the water and putting himself in a situation with a snake. There's no reason for it. One of the reasons I enjoy watching David Attenborough documentaries is because he respects the animals that he's showing, not getting in their way or trying to dramatize things.

BNS said it perfectly in another thread, money is a powerful motivator, and I think as long as people are clicking the links, reading the stories, watching the videos, etc etc this behavior will continue because the creators are getting what they want regardless of the risks it poses to the hobby.
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 03-08-2021 at 02:13 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-08-2021),richardhind1972 (03-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    Yeah, please stop sharing click bait stuff that shines a poor light on this hobby/industry/lifestyle. That's just one more unnecessary and detrimental conduit for policy makers to use against us and the animals we keep. We're in the golden age of reptile keeping at the moment due to the ease of information sharing available to us. We will equally as easily be entering the dark ages of reptile keeping if we continue stoking the flames of those that want to see our passions snuffed out for good.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-08-2021),Hugsplox (03-08-2021),Reinz (03-08-2021),richardhind1972 (03-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Yeah, to me this guy is "click-bait sensationalism" that does nothing to benefit our community of herpetoculture & herpetology, but which stands a GOOD chance of harming us. Think bans...

I give it a big thumbs down! Let's stop sharing this gar-bage, okay? We need more education & way less "entertainment".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-08-2021 at 02:25 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-08-2021),Hugsplox (03-08-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yeah, to me this guy is "click-bait sensationalism" that does nothing to benefit our community of herpetoculture & herpetology, but which stands a GOOD chance of harming us. Think bans...

I give it a big thumbs down! Let's stop sharing this gar-bage, okay? We need more education & way less "entertainment".

Feel free to delete this!! Or edit it as you see fit!!

I was seeing this more in the aspect of "Look at the stupid human"

Now my eyes have been open to another view I will not post anything like this anymore.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-08-2021),Reinz (03-08-2021)

Thanks
    And speaking of "incredibly dangerous and unpredictable", I think that would apply best to Bear Grylls, far more than the snakes he's irritated. When people go looking for danger to entertain, they tend to "find it"- see "Hollywood" & the film industry in general. This stuff attracts all the wrong people to snake-keeping- the people that get snakes killed.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-08-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    Feel free to delete this!! Or edit it as you see fit!!

I was seeing this more in the aspect of "Look at the stupid human"

Now my eyes have been open to another view I will not post anything like this anymore.
    Thank you for saying that, & I understand you didn't think it through- we've probably all made that mistake at times.

So I'll not be deleting or editing this (we try to avoid that on this forum) but let it stand as is, since many of us are taking issue with it anyway. But we might want to reconsider our policy on this in the future, considering that we all want to HAVE a future, with the animals we love being respected & accepted.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-08-2021),Hugsplox (03-08-2021)