Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,048

0 members and 3,048 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

BP not using hot side

Hello! So I have a female BP whose about 310 grams. She is in a 10 enclosure, with a UTH w/thermostat, 2 acurate gauges for humidity and ambient temps. She has no problems with shedding, eating etc. However, she hasn’t pooped in about 3ish weeks and I’m assuming it’s because she isn’t getting the proper belly heat due to not using the hot side. The substrate temp under the hide is 91 degrees and both hides are the same however one is slightly larger. I thought that she preferred the smaller hide(which was on the other side) so I switched them. She still went back to the cold side and i haven’t seen her use the hot side at all. I know she might use it when I’m asleep, however with her not pooping I don’t see that, that is what’s happening. I tried dropping the temps on the hot side to 90, 89 88 then to 87, and stopped at 86 and she still hasn’t been using it. Considering it’s not that it was too hot, it doesn’t seem like she prefers one hide over the other, and all other husbandry is correct, idk what else to do! She’s eating fine, acting normally, and having complete sheds. She just hasn’t pooped.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: BP not using hot side

When you say she’s in a “10 enclosure” do you mean a 10 gallon? Seems a little small for a 300g bp, and I’m wondering if your temp gradient isn’t much of a gradient.

Also what temp is your UTH getting the inside of the tank at the glass? If it’s 91 on top of the substrate I’m guessing it’s way hotter at the glass. Your BP is going to move that substrate and you don’t want her to end up getting burnt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-07-2021)

Thanks

The glass temp is 97 degrees, I just checked. Also, when I dropped the temps of the UTH the substrate temp got to 86 at the lowest so the glass was probably around 91 degrees and she still never touched the other side. And the cool side temp is 81. And I have an AP cage on the way but I can move her to a 20L in the mean time. Also, i was under the impression that you want the substrate temp to be 90-91. If the glass is 91, then the substrate would be in the low 80s. Was I told wrong? I just want to make sure she’s getting was she needs. So I’m open to criticism.
    Last edited by Jdrum6; 03-07-2021 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks

You always want to make sure the glass temp is what you are reading. Should be about 89-91. This way you know they are never going to get burned. I put down less substrate over the UTH side so the snake can reach the heat easily. My snake always pushes away the thin layer of substrate over the UTH to reach the heat.

Even then the snake may not use the hot side too much. When my ambient temp goes up my snake usually stays on the cool side until a meal.
    Last edited by ManMan42; 03-07-2021 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks

Okay, so I’ll do that, and hopefully she’ll poop soon because I don’t think I should feed her until she does. She’s had 3 meals with no poop.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jdrum6 View Post
    Okay, so I’ll do that, and hopefully she’ll poop soon because I don’t think I should feed her until she does. She’s had 3 meals with no poop.
    What size prey item are you feeding?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-07-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,487 Times in 2,686 Posts

I agree with measuring the temperature of the glass not the substrate. They’ll burrow beneath the substrate or push it aside altogether. 97 is a bit high and the snake might avoid it. I like a hot spot of 88-90. I have a few snakes that primarily stay on the cool side of their enclosures, sometimes even after a meal. I say no cause for worry. As long as they have a good thermal gradient they’ll thermoregulate themselves as needed.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-07-2021),Hugsplox (03-07-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    What size prey item are you feeding?

And the reason this question is being asked is that young mice or rats are mostly digestible, therefore there is very little waste for the snake to need to expel. Many new snake keepers assume their snake that's eating young rodents is "constipated" when they're actually not- they're just conserving water & not going until they really need to. Snakes are the masters of energy & water conservation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdrum6 View Post
    ... hopefully she’ll poop soon because I don’t think I should feed her until she does. She’s had 3 meals with no poop.
    I agree with the suggestions to lower the UTH temperature- her "warm hide" was probably too hot, at least for safety.

And IF, as we've asked, your snake IS eating "young" prey (?), I'd keep feeding her. She just may not need to "go" yet.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-07-2021 at 11:04 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-07-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    And the reason this question is being asked is that young mice or rats are mostly digestible, therefore there is very little waste for the snake to need to expel. Many new snake keepers assume their snake that's eating young rodents is "constipated" when they're actually not- they're just conserving water & not going until they really need to. Snakes are the masters of energy & water conservation.
    Thanks for the assist Bogertophis! I was trying to get a response in really quick and was being lazy explaining why I was asking. Jdrum this is just what I was thinking. If your prey item is on the smaller side your BP may just be using all of it up, digesting the bulk and possible only leaving a small dropping if any in your enclosure. You may have absolutely nothing to worry about, and like Bogertophis said, if you're feeding a smaller item and she's putting on weight at a good pace and looks healthy, just keep feeding.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-08-2021),Bogertophis (03-08-2021)