Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,866

2 members and 2,864 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urovision

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Urovision

Quote Originally Posted by Ball_Pythons4life View Post
    I've found a 75 gallon aquarium for $105, I think ill go with that, as its not super expensive. I also might just watch facebook market place and craigslist for something cheap.
    Yes, a used tank can be a great "deal" but just remember that it's for sale for a reason: the previous occupant of the tank probably died, & you don't know what from. So for any used tank, it's a good idea to use several ways* of disinfecting it (inside AND out) & only AFTER** you give it a good thorough cleaning (inside & out), so that your new occupant doesn't catch something. No point asking people either...if their snake died of IBD or some other terrible thing, either they won't admit it, or they don't even know. Not many people get necropsies on deceased pets.

So IMO a used tank is always a risk, but if you have more time (to clean & disinfect) than money (to buy a new one- still needs cleaned but not to the same extent), a large used tank may be a good option. And again, I have no experience with Uromastyx, but assuming they're along the lines of bearded dragons (which I have kept), a large tank is what you'd want, I think.

*diluted bleach, ammonia, F10, Chlorhexidine/Nolvasan, isopropyl alcohol, etc.-the reason for using more than one disinfectant- and never (!) mixed together, by the way- is that some pathogens aren't all killed effectively by the same thing, so for safety- not knowing what a used tank might have contained previously- I'd just be cautious & thorough about disinfecting. Better to keep your new animal safe.

**Note: disinfectants are less effective in the presence of actual debris, so general cleaning first (water & a bit of liquid dish soap) is needed.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-05-2021 at 12:57 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ball_Pythons4life (03-05-2021),Hugsplox (03-05-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12