Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,903

2 members and 1,901 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Juvenile BP won't go into shed

I'm still relatively new to BP keeping, I have 2 juveniles 1 male (650g) 1 female (250g), my male is going into shed now (3/1/21) and I just realized that the last time the female shed was around 12/25/20. Both have never had any trouble with stuck sheds, the skins come out in one piece with the eye caps. They both eat regularly and their temps/humidity are ideal. This is the second time the male has gone into shed since the last time the female shed. Should I be worried that she has not gone into shed in awhile. Is there anyway to induce shed? should I even consider that. Also just a side note the male loves to soak in water while the female hates it and she always tries to escape the water, when I soak them. I don't know if that's a factor or not. She also prefers to hang out on the less warm part of the tank, she has multiple hides, 1 cold hide (72-75), 1 hot hide with a UTH (connected to a thermostat 88-92), near the hot side is a hiding spot that she loves to hang out around, the temperate gun says that is about 77-82. The tank is bioactive with an accessible bottom layer of porous stone/water, the plants are growing well so she has an abundance of hiding/climbing spots. Her last meal was 2/26/21 F/T large mouse (25g). Should I be concerned?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Nope, I wouldn't be concerned. The weight differences you gave indicate that the male is much bigger than she is, so it's a safe assumption he is eating larger rodents.

Baby rodents are mostly digestible & overall not as nourishing as the more mature rodent are, so young/small snakes take a while to get going in terms of growth. It's normal, it's nature's way, & you shouldn't lose any sleep over it. The male is eating bigger prey (more minerals & higher protein), thus he is growing faster for the time being. In the long run, she'll likely catch up & probably grow bigger than he, just because females reproduce & most tend to eat more instinctively to facilitate reproduction.

Most of us also feel that snakes are healthier when "slow grown" (or at least not abnormally accelerated, as when people try to "power feed" them). Your snakes have instincts as to temperature choices- trust them (her). Sheds happen when the snake's body has grown enough to be good & ready to shed, and not a moment before. Nothing you can do about that, other than learn to be patient.

About soaking snakes: few appreciate it- partly because of the lack of traction, but also because we often get the temperature of the water completely wrong.
    We are 98.6* so if the water feels warm to us, imagine how hot it actually is for a snake like a BP, whose maximum temperature should be 90-92* at the most. If you really need to soak a snake, please take the temperature of the water accurately before subjecting your snake to it. Our hands are not accurate.

A kinder way to help them shed is to put a very damp towel in a container with your snake for a while. Soaks are rarely needed, unless you're trying to drown some mites.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-01-2021 at 02:41 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-01-2021),GoingPostal (03-01-2021),Hugsplox (03-01-2021),jaepaige (03-01-2021),nikkubus (03-02-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Juvenile BP won't go into shed

Agree with Bogertophis 100%.

Sometimes my guys shed every 4 weeks, sometimes every 6, and sometimes I lose track of when they shed. I wouldn't stress yourself out over it, but I do like to see a newer keeper keeping track of sheds and weights, and it also sounds like you're doing a good job with your husbandry too so keep it up!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2021),jaepaige (03-01-2021),nikkubus (03-02-2021)

Thanks

Re: Juvenile BP won't go into shed

thank you so much for the advice, when I soak them I use the temperature gun to double check but I'll try the damp towel on her and she if she likes it better.