Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,812

0 members and 2,812 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Fish/Invert only Saltwater

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    My Rhodactis can look pretty variable, both in general appearance and size. Yours looks nice.
    Thanks! I'm rather fond of mushrooms already. I want more types to cover the bottom of my rock work. Anything that's not super fast growing like discasoma.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 399 Posts
    I used to have a colony of those common green Discosoma, grew like weeds and I made a bunch of money selling them (back in the days when they were cool). My current lower nutrient practices won't support them, I found. I miss them, actually.

Rhodactis can be aggressive (mine are), so give them room.

Thanks

I used to have a colony of those common green Discosoma, grew like weeds and I made a bunch of money selling them (back in the days when they were cool). My current lower nutrient practices won't support them, I found. I miss them, actually.

Rhodactis can be aggressive (mine are), so give them room.
    I saw a youtuber who had a ten year old nano tank with just red Discosoma. It was actually pretty neat looking. They climbed all the way to the top of the tank. Maybe an all green one would be cool too if you want to keep them again . I thought Rhodactis weren't aggressive? I haven't decided where I want to place current or future things yet. Will different species of mushroom sting each other if they touch? I've read florida richordias sting and I'd like to add those in. Maybe I'll just let one side of the tank be a mushroom side so they don't sting the clove polyps and whatever else I put in.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (03-07-2022)

Thanks
    I haven't kept differing species together, so I don't know about mushroom on mushroom conflict, and I've not personally been successful keeping Ricordea in the distant past, when they were all wild collected and unattached to a rock (FL law prohibits collection of rock more than the size of a US quarter, if I recall correctly, so FL corals were/are chiseled off instead of collected on their rock).

Rhodactis did a bunch of damage to a small Acanthastrea I have; that's my only evidence for their aggression. I have to kill mine back occasionally with Aiptasia-X.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Trinityblood (03-12-2022)

Thanks
    In the process of starting a 40g cube with a 20g sump and 180g with a 75g sump! Reef all the way for me though

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ergot For This Useful Post:

Trinityblood (03-12-2022)

Thanks

I haven't kept differing species together, so I don't know about mushroom on mushroom conflict, and I've not personally been successful keeping Ricordea in the distant past, when they were all wild collected and unattached to a rock (FL law prohibits collection of rock more than the size of a US quarter, if I recall correctly, so FL corals were/are chiseled off instead of collected on their rock).

Rhodactis did a bunch of damage to a small Acanthastrea I have; that's my only evidence for their aggression. I have to kill mine back occasionally with Aiptasia-X.
    I did some looking around and people said like mushrooms are fine together. Differing ones in their experience will fight.

Oh darn, that mix of being wild and not attached to a rock is a good recipe for failure to thrive. The Florida variants are supposed to be hardier than the Yuma ones too.
    Last edited by Trinityblood; 03-12-2022 at 01:11 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (03-12-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    Oh darn, that mix of being wild and not attached to a rock is a good recipe for failure to thrive. The Florida variants are supposed to be hardier than the Yuma ones too.
    It could be that there are more CB ones available now; I don't know. There are with other FL corals, such as gorgonians, that were all WC not too long ago.

Thanks

It could be that there are more CB ones available now; I don't know. There are with other FL corals, such as gorgonians, that were all WC not too long ago.
    I've been finding it easy to get aquacultured corals. That's funny you mention gorgonians...I just got one lol. One from the Caribbean and of the photosynthetic variety. I also picked up a nephthya.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (03-12-2022)

Thanks
    I added a few more coral. I'm happy with what I have and I am in the process of letting it grow out. The candy cone cloves are really starting to take off and spider over the rock work! I'm unsure if I want to place the two cabbage coral where the green one is, or have them separated as they are. I may move the nepthea up to the bridge rock if I keep the pink cabbage where it is since they both grow large.

Dang diatoms and algae are still getting me but I think they're still part of new tank syndrome.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-22-2022)

Thanks

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-22-2022)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast