Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 904

0 members and 904 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Hunter Update

Thanks

Hunter Update

Fa1321tx posted last week about a snake we acquired for his daughter. We found a smaller glass tank - 36x18x16. We set it up based on the glass enclosure setup blog that you guys generously provided to us. We have the under tank heater on a thermostat on the hot side and a 50 watt red bulb on a heat lamp in the middle. We also have the two acurite hygrometers / thermometers on each end of the tank. We have two Pangea hides on the way so that they are matching.

Currently,we have temps of 82 on both sides and around 88 under the on top of substrate under the hide on the hot side with him currently in there. The glass temp above the undertank heater is significantly higher. Should we push the red heat lamp towards the hot side? Our humidity is at 58 percent. Thanks Houston, Texas.https://flic.kr/p/2kFyWje
    Last edited by mr1793tx; 02-27-2021 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    That's not much of a "cool side" for your BP to get away from the heat if he so chooses. 76*-78* would be better- hard to say exactly what you need to do, as far as your heat lamp- it's best to test out a set-up before your snake moves in, like for about a week, so the temps also have time to stabilize & you don't stress your snake with all the changes & interruptions.

While I'm at it, here's a link to that introductory thread you mentioned, for some continuity:
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...x-preparedness

Also: you need to get the temperature of the glass over the UTH, not the substrate, because sooner or later, your snake will shove the substrate aside, & if it's too hot, he can get burned laying on it for too long. BPs seem prone to doing this- I suspect it's because their thicker bodies take a while to warm all the way thru, so the danger doesn't register with them until they've done some damage.

If your substrate is 88*, I'm betting the glass is too hot- it will depend on how thick the substrate is too, though- the deeper it is, the more it prevents the heat from rising into the tank where you want it.

You said you have the UTH on a thermostat...good! But you need to control the heat lamp too, at least (!) with a rheostat (lamp dimmer), & that should help bring your temps. in line. It will also save some electricity.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-27-2021 at 08:15 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-27-2021),nikkubus (02-27-2021),Sonny1318 (02-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I would inch the heat lamp towards the hot side until you get a good gradient. 100% agree with what Bogertophis said, it might take a little fiddling with placement to get just the right temp in the right places.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (02-27-2021)

Thanks

Re: Hunter Update

This poor dude came to us with no heat at all from his prior owner and we just went through the worst winter storm here in South Texas. Hopefully he won't mind the interruptions . They mentioned his under tank heater was out and they weren't quite sure when it went out. They also left him in a house with no power for a while before they came back for him. I'm just hoping he is healthy.

We moved the lamp over towards the hot side and yes, we have the lamp dimmer as suggested.

We also put very little substrate (like 1/2 inch) per the suggestion of the start up guide.

At least the humidity is correct....LOL
    Last edited by mr1793tx; 02-27-2021 at 09:30 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr1793tx For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-27-2021),dakski (02-27-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr1793tx View Post
    This poor dude came to us with no heat at all from his prior owner and we just went through the worst winter storm here in South Texas. Hopefully he won't mind the interruptions . They mentioned his under tank heater was out and they weren't quite sure when it went out. They also left him in a house with no power for a while before they came back for him. I'm just hoping he is healthy.

We moved the lamp over towards the hot side and yes, we have the lamp dimmer as suggested.

We also put very little substrate (like 1/2 inch) per the suggestion of the start up guide.

At least the humidity is correct....LOL
    I noticed your location, & oh that poor snake! Lucky you've got him now. And FYI, many years ago I took in a huge adult female BP (w/c import they got from pet store) their son had lost interest in- their hot rock (her only heat) had failed a while back, & their house had chilly A/C- yet she was healthy, except for the zillion ticks I had to remove from her. They hadn't noticed, in the year they'd had her- they said "oh I thought those were just big scales!" So there's hope for yours too...snakes survive much adversity in the wild too, it seems.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-27-2021 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I noticed your location, & oh that poor snake! Lucky you've got him now. And FYI, many years ago I took in a huge adult female BP (w/c import they got from pet store) their son had lost interest in- their hot rock (her only heat) had failed a while back, & their house had chilly A/C- yet she was healthy, except for the zillion ticks I had to remove from her. They hadn't noticed, in the year they'd had her- they said "oh I thought those were just big scales!" So there's hope for yours too...snakes survive much adversity in the wild.
    That breaks my heart. When we were looking for a snake for my BF’s daughter we also got offered another one that the lady said was so mean she was scared of it. I almost took it just to see if I could somehow help that one find some peace. I bet that snake was happy you found it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr1793tx View Post
    That breaks my heart. When we were looking for a snake for my BF’s daughter we also got offered another one that the lady said was so mean she was scared of it. I almost took it just to see if I could somehow help that one find some peace. I bet that snake was happy you found it.
    It broke my heart too, & yes, she was happy to retire w/ me. She was obviously older, the biggest BP I've seen @ 5'. She'd seen a lot in her life, too bad she couldn't talk- or maybe just as well.

"Mean snakes" are my specialty, actually. Nearly always the human's misunderstanding.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It broke my heart too, & yes, she was happy to retire w/ me. She was obviously older, the biggest BP I've seen @ 5'. She'd seen a lot in her life, too bad she couldn't talk- or maybe just as well.

"Mean snakes" are my specialty, actually. Nearly always the human's misunderstanding.
    How long did you have her with you happy?