Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,269

0 members and 2,269 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Plants from Josh’s Frogs?

I’ve never kept plants before so I wanted to start off with a plant just in a pot before I decide to switch substrates and completely make a planted tank. I was going to start with pothos since it’s supposed to be pretty hardy. I was told Josh’s Frogs is a good place to buy from, but I was wondering since they are sold for reptiles, do I still have to worry about repotting it to get rid of any possible chemicals? It says on the website they are in organic soil.

If so, where is the best place to buy soil from and which kind is safe? I know organic but I don’t know if anything else is dangerous. And anyway to avoid gnats? Everyone I know who keeps plants says they have them and my family would kill me if we had another infestation. Anything else I should know?

And I have tried googling but I figured it would be better to ask since I know some things that are okay for houseplants are not safe to do with a plant in a reptile enclosure.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Hmm. As far as I'm aware, legally plants have to be shipped bare root. Perhaps there is a loophole I am unaware of. Either way, a lot of times plants for sale locally are ready to be repotted anyways and pretty root bound.

There are coco coir products sold as reptile substrates that would work great for a pothos with a little bit of fertilizer and either vermiculite or perlite. Vermiculite and perlite are safe to buy without any fancy labeling because they haven't been gathered from anywhere with pesticides and things. Worm castings would be a pretty safe bet for a fertilizer, just add a very tiny amount because a little goes a long way and over fertilizing could burn your plant. You can probably purchase worm castings from a local source like farmers market type of deal. They might even have a pre-mixed soil they could talk to you about exactly what is used in it. Generally the small business organic plant people care about things being safe to wildlife and use animal safe products, though some of the bigger chains slap "organic" on the package to make a quick buck following the bare minimum regulations for what the govt considers "organic".
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-27-2021)

Thanks

Re: Plants from Josh’s Frogs?

Most states don't require plants to be shipped bare-root. Ideally, the seller will ship with a minimal amount of medium, but there are a lot of plants that can't hack being taken out of the soil.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-27-2021)