Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,098

1 members and 3,097 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln

Thanks
    He looks like a happy and healthy beta.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-07-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Lincoln

Not sure where else to put this, but these are pictures of my 240G tank from 2008 with the Mpimbwe Frontosa I bred.

I couldn't find good pictures, but these are taken from the gentleman I gave the tank and fish too, soon after relocating them.

I miss these fish. They were a ton of work, but also very rewarding. I had them eating out of my hand, literally.

Tank - 8X2X2' for the tank alone - 240 gallons

Male @ 10-12 inches

Female - @ 7-9 inches

The Group

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-08-2021),Caitlin (03-29-2021),Hugsplox (03-08-2021),Zincubus (03-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Not sure where else to put this, but these are pictures of my 240G tank from 2008 with the Mpimbwe Frontosa I bred.

I couldn't find good pictures, but these are taken from the gentleman I gave the tank and fish too, soon after relocating them.

I miss these fish. They were a ton of work, but also very rewarding. I had them eating out of my hand, literally.

Tank - 8X2X2' for the tank alone - 240 gallon
    I don't even want to think about the upkeep on a 240 gallon tank. I keep a 45 and I always think it's a good bit of work but 240 gallons sounds insane. That being said, I would love to put about 200 little South American tetras in there just to see large schooling behavior. I've always felt that parameters were easier to maintain the bigger tank that you have though. Did you find that to be true or was it about the same? Also glad to see folks talking fish on here, would love to get this section going!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-08-2021),dakski (03-08-2021)

Thanks
    That is a huge aquarium. Curious. How do you do water changes on that size?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-08-2021)

Thanks

First, I think Lincoln likes frozen brine shrimp more than bloodworms, if that's possible.

Offered him a few today and he went nuts.

Good to give variety. So the pellets as a staple with occasional brine shrimp and bloodworms. I would also like to try daphnia as they help digestion and work as a laxative, but mixing in F/T foods like the brine and bloodworms help too, as opposed to all dry food.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    I don't even want to think about the upkeep on a 240 gallon tank. I keep a 45 and I always think it's a good bit of work but 240 gallons sounds insane. That being said, I would love to put about 200 little South American tetras in there just to see large schooling behavior. I've always felt that parameters were easier to maintain the bigger tank that you have though. Did you find that to be true or was it about the same? Also glad to see folks talking fish on here, would love to get this section going!
    Once established, bigger tanks are more stable, in general. I had 12 big fish in there and they were WC (there were no Mpimbwe in captivity in that time breeding - I was one of the first) and allowed to be imported because they are not endangered in the wild. Big fish means a lot of food and waste and WC meant they were more sensitive to nitrates.

The tank went from about 15ppm nitrates to about 30-40ppm in a week. I did 100-120G water changes weekly.

Additionally, they are high PH (7.8-8.2PH) and slightly brackish water fish who also needed harder water. So there was a lot of additives and chemistry involved.

So, had to do more work on it than many large tanks that aren't as full or with as sensitive fish. I guess I did a good job as they bred like crazy.

However, if you had a large tank with less load and that only needed dechlorination or light additives to remove metals, etc. and you didn't have to adjust PH and salt and hardness, it would be much more stable than a smaller tank with the same relative load.

I am also glad that some people are talking fish on here. It is fun. However, it is a reptile forum and there are better forums for fish information. If anyone is interested, I can name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    That is a huge aquarium. Curious. How do you do water changes on that size?
    Python syphon into the sink to suction gravel and start water removal. Then a small pump to pump water into the sink.

The night before I filled two 60G pails with the fresh water for the tank and dosed with all the additives I needed (PH +, salt, dechlorinator, etc.) and dropped heaters in as well. Very important temps are stable going in and out especially when doing such a large water change - has to be right within 1F or less not to stress fish.

Once the water was taken out and the gravel syphoned, I would use a pump and a long hose to pump the fresh water into the tank.

All in all, it took about 3 hours including prep. So about 1 hour the night before and 2 hours the day of the water change.

Very expensive to get all the supplies (pumps, hoses, etc.) as well as additives and the tank was insanely expensive with stand and lid and light, filtration and heaters, etc.

It was an acrylic tank and was awesome. The company I bought it from now longer makes tanks, but it was great.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-08-2021),Hugsplox (03-08-2021),Trinityblood (03-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Tank - 8X2X2' for the tank alone - 240 gallons

Male @ 10-12 inches

Female - @ 7-9 inches

The Group

Amazing. !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-08-2021)

Thanks

I've found mixing in frozen foods with flake/dry food results in better coloration and growth. The fish just seem incredibly more healthy and active than when on a flake/dry food diet only. I'd love some suggestions if you have a few for some aquarium forums. Not that I don't like focusing a lot of attention here, but I understand not everyone wants to hear about our aquatic hobby lol.

Those python syphons saved my back from carrying buckets. I can do a change on my 45 in about half an hour vs how long it use to take when I just had a bunch of 3 gallon buckets.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-08-2021),dakski (03-08-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    I've found mixing in frozen foods with flake/dry food results in better coloration and growth. The fish just seem incredibly more healthy and active than when on a flake/dry food diet only. I'd love some suggestions if you have a few for some aquarium forums. Not that I don't like focusing a lot of attention here, but I understand not everyone wants to hear about our aquatic hobby lol.

Those python syphons saved my back from carrying buckets. I can do a change on my 45 in about half an hour vs how long it use to take when I just had a bunch of 3 gallon buckets.
    This was the site I wrote on frequently when I kept the Frontosa and also a 90G lake Malawi Cichlid tank.

https://www.cichlid-forum.com

Thought it was a really good site.

Not sure about other sites but have started looking and will report back if I find any good ones.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-08-2021)

Thanks

This was the site I wrote on frequently when I kept the Frontosa and also a 90G lake Malawi Cichlid tank.

https://www.cichlid-forum.com

Thought it was a really good site.

Not sure about other sites but have started looking and will report back if I find any good ones.
    I have not spent much time on these, but they look good.

https://www.fishforums.net

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/

https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com

This site also has info on what forums are out there, but they show Reddit so who knows. However, shows some forums for specific species/types of fish.

https://fishlab.com/online-aquarium-communities/

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-09-2021)

Thanks

I have not spent much time on these, but they look good.

https://www.fishforums.net

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/

https://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com

This site also has info on what forums are out there, but they show Reddit so who knows. However, shows some forums for specific species/types of fish.

https://fishlab.com/online-aquarium-communities/
    Thanks Daskski, I've heard some really good things about fishlore and tropicalfishkeeping but haven't spent much time on either other than when Google sent me there for answers. I'll check both out.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast