Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,117

2 members and 3,115 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    They're such funny looking animals. I recently started watching this guy's channel and find him informational and entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTQ...qXWrKTQsvlm4Eg
    I’ve had albinos in the past but I’ve got a wild caught one now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-25-2021 at 05:05 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-25-2021),dakski (02-25-2021),nikkubus (02-27-2021),Trinityblood (02-25-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Lincoln

Lincoln is just gorgeous! My boyfriend and I have two 55 gallon freshwater tanks in our computer room. We have a variety of community fish in each tank. While this is more of my boyfriend’s hobby than mine, I do help him to take care of the fish and maintain the tanks.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-25-2021),Trinityblood (02-25-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Thank you Trinityblood! Bettas are super easy. They live in puddles/pools of water in the wild so water quality doesn't have to be perfect for them. However, if you know me, I am going to keep his tank pretty clean. Easy to do a 1G water change weekly vs. a bigger tank. Many people do not think they like heat or filtration, but they do if you want them to flourish and show their best colors. His temp is 77F and he has a gentle filter on the tank.

I used to breed Frontosa's - a brackish water fish from Africa. They get about a foot long. Had 12 in a 240G. Unfortunately, health got the better of me and doing those 2-3 hour water changes weekly was too much.

Saltwater is a lot more demanding and much more sensitive to change than most freshwater aquariums. I'd love to see pics of some of your aquariums. Do you have a thread here?
    Thanks for the info! I love learning about animal care. That water does look pristine. Are there different species of beta? Or are they all the same just different colors?

I do not have a thread... I have a fairly new 20 gallon with 2 clowns and some inverts. I had a tank 10 years ago but had to get rid of it because of school. I'm finally in a place to keep fish again. I plan to eventually add a yellow clown goby and a royal gramma. The only difficult part is having patience and controlling pests that come with live rock. A setup like this is pretty simple to care for. Do water changes, feed fish, let snails eat algae. I could have used dry rock if I wanted it to be even easier. I don't have corals and probably won't add any. As beautiful as they are, their needs are too expensive and time consuming for my tastes. I'm starting to see coralline algae growth. I can't wait for it to takeover and turn all the rocks purple.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I’ve had albinos in the past but I’ve got a wild caught one now

Call me crazy but that looks like a begging face.
    Last edited by Trinityblood; 02-25-2021 at 05:31 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-25-2021),dakski (02-25-2021),nikkubus (02-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Thanks for the info! I love learning about animal care. That water does look pristine. Are there different species of beta? Or are they all the same just different colors?

I do not have a thread... I have a fairly new 20 gallon with 2 clowns and some inverts. I had a tank 10 years ago but had to get rid of it because of school. I'm finally in a place to keep fish again. I plan to eventually add a yellow clown goby and a royal gramma. The only difficult part is having patience and controlling pests that come with live rock. A setup like this is pretty simple to care for. Do water changes, feed fish, let snails eat algae. I could have used dry rock if I wanted it to be even easier. I don't have corals and probably won't add any. As beautiful as they are, their needs are too expensive and time consuming for my tastes.

Call me crazy but that looks like a begging face.
    It’s possible .. he’s insatiable .. currently on frozen bloodworm and bits/bats .. in a month or so he goes back on earthworms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-25-2021),Trinityblood (02-25-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I'll probably never keep any fish but I do love looking at them. Although dakski has made a pretty convincing case for a Betta... -or an axolotl...(oh stop!)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-25-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I do not have a thread... I have a fairly new 20 gallon with 2 clowns and some inverts. I had a tank 10 years ago but had to get rid of it because of school. I'm finally in a place to keep fish again. I plan to eventually add a yellow clown goby and a royal gramma. The only difficult part is having patience and controlling pests that come with live rock. A setup like this is pretty simple to care for. Do water changes, feed fish, let snails eat algae. I could have used dry rock if I wanted it to be even easier. I don't have corals and probably won't add any. As beautiful as they are, their needs are too expensive and time consuming for my tastes. I'm starting to see coralline algae growth. I can't wait for it to takeover and turn all the rocks purple.

First, the tank looks good partly because I just set it up and put Lincoln in.

However, with one fish and good filtration, it should stay pretty clear indefinitely.

There are different morphs of Bettas. No idea what Lincoln's morph is, but he's a cool guy. Some have longer fins and different colors, etc.

https://www.tankarium.com/types-of-betta-fish/

This site above had some cool info.

Secondly, I like your setup and LOVE Goby's. They are awesome little fish! I don't know what a Gramma is.

Keep us posted on your tank!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Trinityblood (02-25-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'll probably never keep any fish but I do love looking at them. Although dakski has made a pretty convincing case for a Betta... -or an axolotl...(oh stop!)
    Do it! Do it! Do it! Betta! Betta!

LOL.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-27-2021),Trinityblood (02-25-2021)

Thanks

First, the tank looks good partly because I just set it up and put Lincoln in.

However, with one fish and good filtration, it should stay pretty clear indefinitely.

There are different morphs of Bettas. No idea what Lincoln's morph is, but he's a cool guy. Some have longer fins and different colors, etc.

https://www.tankarium.com/types-of-betta-fish/

This site above had some cool info.

Secondly, I like your setup and LOVE Goby's. They are awesome little fish! I don't know what a Gramma is.

Keep us posted on your tank!
    Do freshwater tancs get new tank syndrome after a couple months? I guess betas don't poop a lot? I know goldfish are poop machines lol.

Wow there are so many different looking betas.

Gobies have so much personality despite being tiny. They're also really peaceful tankmates. Can never go wrong with them.

Royal gramma is a pretty yellow and purple fish that darts in and out of rocks.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/pr...20200309160404

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

SunshineWalker (02-26-2021)

Thanks

Do freshwater tancs get new tank syndrome after a couple months? I guess betas don't poop a lot? I know goldfish are poop machines lol.

Wow there are so many different looking betas.

Gobies have so much personality despite being tiny. They're also really peaceful tankmates. Can never go wrong with them.

Royal gramma is a pretty yellow and purple fish that darts in and out of rocks.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/pr...20200309160404
    You can have "New tank Syndrome." However, not always and dependent on load (yeah one betta doesn't produce a lot of waste).

I also am using https://www.aquavitro.com/seed.php - Seed - help quickly establish a bio load and complete the nitrogen cycle quickly. I've had good luck with similar products in the past.

I use the Prime to get metals and chlorine out of the water and then use Seed dosing everyday for 7 days and then every few water changes.

The filter has a sponge and bio-ball type plastic media as well. So that should help.

That Royal Gramma is nuts looking! I've seen them. Beautiful fish!

Yes, many different bettas. They can be expensive, well, relatively, but they live a long time and I really enjoy them. I've kept several in the past and Katie even had one before I met her.

Lincoln was $45 versus $5-7 for a normal betta. It's all the eye of the beholder. The store I got him from had a lot of bettas but the staff was super happy I got Lincoln because they really liked him a lot. They know my background and that i'd give him a good home.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-27-2021)

Thanks
    You can have "New tank Syndrome." However, not always and dependent on load (yeah one betta doesn't produce a lot of waste).

I also am using https://www.aquavitro.com/seed.php - Seed - help quickly establish a bio load and complete the nitrogen cycle quickly. I've had good luck with similar products in the past.

I use the Prime to get metals and chlorine out of the water and then use Seed dosing everyday for 7 days and then every few water changes.

The filter has a sponge and bio-ball type plastic media as well. So that should help.

That Royal Gramma is nuts looking! I've seen them. Beautiful fish!

Yes, many different bettas. They can be expensive, well, relatively, but they live a long time and I really enjoy them. I've kept several in the past and Katie even had one before I met her.

Lincoln was $45 versus $5-7 for a normal betta. It's all the eye of the beholder. The store I got him from had a lot of bettas but the staff was super happy I got Lincoln because they really liked him a lot. They know my background and that i'd give him a good home.

I was thinking of algae blooms before the tank levels out. and the 'uglyness' of a new tank. That's how I've always heard the term used. That's crazy that you can just buy a bottle of bacteria now. I did the old school way and used live rock to introduce bacteria and doubles as the biological filter.

Carbon is a great additive to clear up water, too.

Lincoln is handsome. He kind of looks like a koi with the white belly.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-25-2021),nikkubus (02-27-2021),SunshineWalker (02-26-2021)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast