Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,884

0 members and 2,884 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I think you made a sound decision. I kept a 45g african cichlid tank at the office at one point and it was such a pain having to lug water around for partial water changes. I used to breed frontosas too (at home in a much bigger aquarium), one of my absolute favorite fish. I keep telling myself I'm going to setup some awesome fish tanks again when I get settled into a permanent place, but I've not done fish in so long because moving with them is a pain. Course so is with snakes, but in my opinion snakes are a lot easier to move than the type of fish I tend towards.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-25-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    I think you made a sound decision. I kept a 45g african cichlid tank at the office at one point and it was such a pain having to lug water around for partial water changes. I used to breed frontosas too (at home in a much bigger aquarium), one of my absolute favorite fish. I keep telling myself I'm going to setup some awesome fish tanks again when I get settled into a permanent place, but I've not done fish in so long because moving with them is a pain. Course so is with snakes, but in my opinion snakes are a lot easier to move than the type of fish I tend towards.
    I think moving with reptiles is a lot easier than moving with large fish tanks and fish, etc!

Setup on the other end is also much easier!

My "Fronts" used to eat out of my hand.

I kept Mpimbwe Frontosa. Didn't expect them to breed, but they did, and a lot!

I miss them, but I do not miss the amount it work it was keep them happy and healthy and breeding.

Yeah, cannot get much simpler than a 4G betta tank. Lincoln is awesome and I am happy and Katie (my wife) is very happy. No big tanks. No big commitments. Plus, she loves Lincoln. So it's a win, win, win.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Lincoln is doing great and loved him some bloodworms (F/T) tonight.

I continue to use the Seed product daily, but will be checking water parameters tomorrow and do a water change if needed. If possible, and the Seed does i's job, I might be able to hold off for the full week, but it all depends on what the numbers tell me about where we are in the nitrogen cycle.

I splurged and got him a proper stand and I am cleaning my office now and determining where to put it. Right now he's next to my home computer in my office, but I am thinking about putting him next to my work computer. We will see what the office looks like when I move some stuff around. It's a small cabinet stand, so I can keep all his stuff in it, and him on top. I don't want to keep him my dresser long-term .

Additionally, when I stopped at the aquatic store today to get the stand and bloodworms, they told me he is a Plakat Betta.

https://www.aquariadise.com/plakat-betta/

They are shorter finned, but more aggressive a type of Betta then the ornamental long-finned bettas. They were originally bred for fighting. I am happy to keep him safe and sound and on his own .

Sorry to post so much about a little Betta on BP.net, but he's pretty cool and other users seem to enjoy him as well. I guess I am not forcing anyone to look, right?

I also got a few more pictures tonight.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-27-2021),Kam (03-15-2021),nikkubus (02-27-2021),richardhind1972 (02-27-2021),Spicey (02-27-2021),Trinityblood (02-26-2021)

Thanks
    He's a cool little beta. Keep the updates coming.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-26-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    By all means keep 'em coming! I actually went to that site you posted yesterday & read thru the many kinds of bettas- & that's the only way I'd ever heard of a plakat before your post above.

We all love animals here, & we all love admiring beautiful ones, so I'd say he's a good fit.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Nice to hear he’s getting some frozen-thawed bloodworm!!

I recall years ago reading some reports of people feeding their fish on LIVE bloodworm and they’d BURIED out through the stomach !!??

I have no idea if that can ACTUALLY happen but it stuck in my mind ever since .

The only other negative is probably with over feeding fish on bloodworms as they CAN carry parasites/bacteria due to the conditions of the water where the blood worms are grown and harvested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I recall years ago reading some reports of people feeding their fish on LIVE bloodworm and they’d BURIED out through the stomach !!?? ...
    I don't know about those, but I've heard the same thing about mealworms- that if you feed a lizard that doesn't manage to crunch their heads before swallowing, that they can chew their way out sometimes. Eeeek! So when I've fed them to lizards, I used my tongs to pinch their heads first, just in case. Hopefully either case is really rare?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Nice to hear he’s getting some frozen-thawed bloodworm!!

I recall years ago reading some reports of people feeding their fish on LIVE bloodworm and they’d BURIED out through the stomach !!??

I have no idea if that can ACTUALLY happen but it stuck in my mind ever since .

The only other negative is probably with over feeding fish on bloodworms as they CAN carry parasites/bacteria due to the conditions of the water where the blood worms are grown and harvested.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I don't know about those, but I've heard the same thing about mealworms- that if you feed a lizard that doesn't manage to crunch their heads before swallowing, that they can chew their way out sometimes. Eeeek! So when I've fed them to lizards, I used my tongs to pinch their heads first, just in case. Hopefully either case is really rare?
    I feel like if either of those is true it relies on having an unhealthy animal in the first place where digestion is being interfered with because of something like lack of heat, or imbalance in digestive bacteria due to parasites, or something along those lines. I could be wrong though.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-27-2021),dakski (02-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    I feel like if either of those is true it relies on having an unhealthy animal in the first place where digestion is being interfered with because of something like lack of heat, or imbalance in digestive bacteria due to parasites, or something along those lines. I could be wrong though.
    Could all be scaremongering .. I also heard they can cause bloat in some fish ..

Guess the best thing is to feed not too often and feed thawed-frozen

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-27-2021),dakski (02-27-2021),nikkubus (02-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Congrats on your nice little betta, dakski! He's a very pretty boy

Yeah, Lincoln's definitely a plakat (that more traditional short-finned variety), and it looks like he's something called a marble color-wise. Marbles can go through a bit of a color change throughout their life, so don't be surprised if his various spots and color patches start shifting around. A marble male I had went and turned completely blue after a few years!

It's nice to see that Lincoln's in a heated, filtered set-up. I'm actually planning on bumping the two betta I have now into similar setups sometime soon - they're both getting older and have had fin rot issues pop up recently, so I think they need something a little more stable/controlled than the planted 2.5 gallon setups they're in now. Maybe I'll post some photos of them once they're settled in to new digs.

Trinityblood - if you'd like any help with your marine tank, feel free to send me a PM. I had a similarly sized reef tank for many years and would be glad to help out! The only real reason I don't have it running now is because of how much of a pain it would be to move, particularly at the frequency with which I've been moving the last few years.

Zincubus - I've never personally heard of bloodworms burrowing through fishes' stomachs before. Other worms, maybe, but not bloodworms. If something like that did happen, it would pretty much be for the reasons nikkubus said.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-27-2021),nikkubus (02-27-2021),Trinityblood (02-28-2021)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast