Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,357

3 members and 3,354 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Humidity Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes, that's what I'd do. Humidity is part of a snake's natural thermoregulation- as long as they have the options they need, you're good.

I think this thread is extremely helpful too- now that I think about it, I wonder how many keepers are frustrated with trying to get the humidity up when it already is, at least on the cool side. And all that desperate "misting" they're doing may actually be detrimental- especially with snakes needing warmer temperatures, since warmth + moisture makes way too many bacteria very "happy"- (ie. might be promoting health issues?).
    Thank you for saying this! I've had this question for awhile and never could seem to get an answer.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Re: Humidity Questions

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Thank you for saying this! I've had this question for awhile and never could seem to get an answer.
    And thank you, for asking such a good question. Pooling our experience sure helps.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-26-2021 at 04:19 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (02-26-2021),nikkubus (02-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Humidity Questions

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    A couple quick questions regarding humidity. I'll preface it by saying that I have two AP enclosures each heated by an RHP. I use ReptiChip as a substrate and have a big bowl of water in the middle of each enclosure.

In the winter, I find myself constantly spraying the substrate because it will get down to 40% humidity. Luckily over the years I've only had about 1-2 not perfect sheds.

1. I have two thermometers that also measure humidity in each corner and the one under the RHP is always 10-15 % lower. When trying to keep the enclosure in the >60% range, should I aim to get both ends in this range or is one end good enough?

2. Anyone use a humidifier and care to share your experiences? This seems like it may be easier then having to spray every other day.

3. When I do spray, the humidity will spike and condensate on the glass for about a day. Hopefully this is ok.
    I can’t advise on humidity as it’s always damp here in Manchester Uk ..

That said ... I spray all the vivs on a random basis ( when it crosses my mind )
    but I start spraying daily as soon as a snake goes into shed mode - cloudy eyes - disappearing out of sight for days- loss of colour ( apart from albinos /white snakes) .

Now once I notice the eyes have cleared and the colours are back to normal then start spraying well , two or three times each day .

You will find a messy , rolled up shedded skin lying around somewhere ( quite often under one of the hides)

100% success guaranteed

I only use orchid / reptibark as a substrate as it holds as much or as little as you require .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-27-2021 at 01:14 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (02-27-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12