Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 331

9 members and 322 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 70,750
Threads: 244,809
Posts: 2,538,147
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, missalyzl
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Registered User Hugsplox's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-27-2020
    Location
    Georgia, U.S.
    Posts
    419
    Thanks
    760
    Thanked 605 Times in 303 Posts

    Spring Time Wildlife Watching

    With spring right around the corner here in Georgia, some of the native birds have started building nests again. I have a family of what I think are finches that every year without fail raise a new batch of chicks on the columns on my front porch. This year I was surprised to see a plump mourning dove also building her nest out there. My office looks right out at them all so I get a front row seat to watch these chicks mature and fly off on their own every year.

    I thought it might be fun since we've got members from all over the world, to talk about what spring looks like in your area, what kind of animals you get to see, and if anyone else is like me, with those visitors that come back every year. Other than having to pressure wash the porch every year, this is an exciting time!

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

    ballpythonluvr (02-24-2021),Bogertophis (02-24-2021),nikkubus (02-24-2021)

  3. #2
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,182
    Thanks
    19,877
    Thanked 12,191 Times in 7,665 Posts
    Yesterday we hit a very unusually-warm 74*, but after the recent frigid temperatures, it's going to be a while yet for spring here. We still have a little snow mounded from the recent 10-11" we got. But believe me, I'm ready for spring! As are all the birds, I'm sure. The daffodils have all emerged, but not flowering yet. Both my neighbor & I feed the birds- they feed year-round, while I mostly feed them in the winter, to help out the local residents without making them too dependent on me. I usually have robins nesting in my yard, but not yet. Recently, in the midst of the bitter cold, I saw a flock of robins, which surprised me...I normally don't see groups of them at all, just hunting for food solo. I enjoy all the various birds here, but I'm slightly partial to the colorful cardinals.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    ballpythonluvr (02-24-2021),Hugsplox (02-24-2021),nikkubus (02-24-2021)

  5. #3
    Registered User Hugsplox's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-27-2020
    Location
    Georgia, U.S.
    Posts
    419
    Thanks
    760
    Thanked 605 Times in 303 Posts

    Re: Spring Time Wildlife Watching

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yesterday we hit a very unusually-warm 74*, but after the recent frigid temperatures, it's going to be a while yet for spring here. We still have a little snow mounded from the recent 10-11" we got. But believe me, I'm ready for spring! As are all the birds, I'm sure. The daffodils have all emerged, but not flowering yet. Both my neighbor & I feed the birds- they feed year-round, while I mostly feed them in the winter, to help out the local residents without making them too dependent on me. I usually have robins nesting in my yard, but not yet. Recently, in the midst of the bitter cold, I saw a flock of robins, which surprised me...I normally don't see groups of them at all, just hunting for food solo. I enjoy all the various birds here, but I'm slightly partial to the colorful cardinals.
    Robins is what I have not finches, I'm just a moron lol. We also see the occasional cardinal come through and our cats are immediately glued to the windows over that bright red. Typically we only see them during the fall when they're passing through though unfortunately. It's funny that you say you feed during the winter. I was reading something recently that said that you should do that because migrating birds will get use to your feeders being a safe place to grab a bite before continuing wherever they're going.

    Not sure how true that is, but it was interesting to think about.

  6. #4
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,182
    Thanks
    19,877
    Thanked 12,191 Times in 7,665 Posts

    Re: Spring Time Wildlife Watching

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Robins is what I have not finches, I'm just a moron lol. We also see the occasional cardinal come through and our cats are immediately glued to the windows over that bright red. Typically we only see them during the fall when they're passing through though unfortunately. It's funny that you say you feed during the winter. I was reading something recently that said that you should do that because migrating birds will get use to your feeders being a safe place to grab a bite before continuing wherever they're going.

    Not sure how true that is, but it was interesting to think about.
    I think that's true about migrating birds. I can remember in a prior year, when I was more attentive (started feeding birds earlier, in late fall), I had so many amazing birds here that I had to look them up -never having seen them before (or some, like orioles, that I recognized, but again, they don't live here)- and they'd be around only for a short time, like you said- they were obviously migrating. Whereas robins, blue jays, blue birds, cardinals, woodpeckers & various smaller birds are local residents.

    Anyway, if the winter brings snow (& we don't normally get a lot here, but we did this year) it keeps many birds from finding food, plus they need more calories when it's cold- this year was really miserable for them, I'm sure. It was pretty hard on people too. When I'd fill the seed basket & put out suet, they took turns & picked it clean pretty fast. The robins don't normally eat seeds or suet, they like worms & bugs. I also have various shrubs around my house that produce berries that some birds eat too- they're not edible for humans, only for birds, so I'm sure that helps too. If you want to encourage cardinals, they like black oil sunflower seeds. Woodpeckers love suet- but some other birds like it too. The various little finch-types like the smaller safflower seeds.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    Hugsplox (02-24-2021),nikkubus (02-24-2021)

  8. #5
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,182
    Thanks
    19,877
    Thanked 12,191 Times in 7,665 Posts
    BTW, in the summer, instead of feeding birds (when there's plenty more natural food) I tend to put out water for them when it's hot & hasn't rained for a while. That helps them too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    Hugsplox (02-24-2021),nikkubus (02-24-2021)

  10. #6
    Registered User Hugsplox's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-27-2020
    Location
    Georgia, U.S.
    Posts
    419
    Thanks
    760
    Thanked 605 Times in 303 Posts

    Re: Spring Time Wildlife Watching

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    BTW, in the summer, instead of feeding birds (when there's plenty more natural food) I tend to put out water for them when it's hot & hasn't rained for a while. That helps them too.
    Oh I know! My wife movies into our front room to use as an office and Iím debating on putting a bird bath right in front of her window so Iím not the only one enjoying the wildlife.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (02-24-2021)

  12. #7
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,182
    Thanks
    19,877
    Thanked 12,191 Times in 7,665 Posts
    I love to watch birds taking a bath...especially when it's been a while. They get done & sit there, then go back in again 'cause it felt so good the first 3 times.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  13. #8
    BPnet Veteran nikkubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-20-2018
    Posts
    299
    Thanks
    831
    Thanked 355 Times in 199 Posts
    I havn't seen any birds lately but I've been seeing a lot of lizards! I have no idea what species. I'll have to take some pics next time I see one and maybe someone on here knows. They look a lot like some of the "sagebrush lizards" on here so maybe that's what they are: http://www.californiaherps.com/ident...izards.id.html I often see my cats going absolutely bonkers trying to figure out how to get outside to get to them, they usually notice them before I do.

    We aren't allowed to have bird feeders with our HOA, stupidest thing. I do have a fountain on my back porch though and see a lot of them in the summer. They also like to hunt for bugs in my compost bin.

    In the summer time I love to go up to the mountains a couple hours from here and look for ants and reptiles. There are so many different kinds here, it's amazing.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

  14. #9
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,182
    Thanks
    19,877
    Thanked 12,191 Times in 7,665 Posts

    Re: Spring Time Wildlife Watching

    Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    I havn't seen any birds lately but I've been seeing a lot of lizards! I have no idea what species. I'll have to take some pics next time I see one and maybe someone on here knows. They look a lot like some of the "sagebrush lizards" on here so maybe that's what they are: http://www.californiaherps.com/ident...izards.id.html I often see my cats going absolutely bonkers trying to figure out how to get outside to get to them, they usually notice them before I do.

    We aren't allowed to have bird feeders with our HOA, stupidest thing. I do have a fountain on my back porch though and see a lot of them in the summer. They also like to hunt for bugs in my compost bin.

    In the summer time I love to go up to the mountains a couple hours from here and look for ants and reptiles. There are so many different kinds here, it's amazing.
    So many lizards, so little time! You're making me miss California- (not HOA's though, never had one, never will)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  15. #10
    BPnet Veteran nikkubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-20-2018
    Posts
    299
    Thanks
    831
    Thanked 355 Times in 199 Posts

    Re: Spring Time Wildlife Watching

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    So many lizards, so little time! You're making me miss California- (not HOA's though, never had one, never will)
    HOAs suck. There is basically nothing anywhere near here without one. One of the many reasons I want to move in a year or two. California has some really great qualities but oh boy does it have it's flaws.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1