Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,044

0 members and 3,044 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Spring Time Wildlife Watching

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    ...In the summer time I love to go up to the mountains a couple hours from here and look for ants and reptiles. There are so many different kinds here, it's amazing.
    I believe you're the first person I've ever spoken to that actually looks for ants. When I lived in So Cal, I always had the feeling they were looking for me? They once entered my dressing room, climbed up the door frame & ate holes in a new blouse I had hanging there! Another time, they came in & killed a sweet little gecko I had, mostly on their way to eating his mealworms.
    But they missed me, at least- I got away.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I believe you're the first person I've ever spoken to that actually looks for ants. When I lived in So Cal, I always had the feeling they were looking for me? They once entered my dressing room, climbed up the door frame & ate holes in a new blouse I had hanging there! Another time, they came in & killed a sweet little gecko I had, mostly on their way to eating his mealworms.
    But they missed me, at least- I got away.
    Oh no!!! That sounds horrible. I have been fortunate not to ever have bad problems with them despite not using pesticides. I've had minor little outbreaks trying to eat cat food, but sprinkling a bit of cayenne around the place they were coming into the house managed to get them to go away.

I can thank ants canada on youtube for my ant interest. I can sit there and watch his ants for hours they are really interesting little creatures. Some of his paludarium setups are out of this world blows almost any of the other naturalistic enclosures I've seen out of the water.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-25-2021),Hugsplox (02-25-2021)

Thanks
    Spring around here is daffodils starting to push up. We just got done with a week of temps between -10F and 20F, and this week it's been in the 60's, so the snow is gone and the air is freshening up. We're not done with winter by a long shot, but spring is definitely around the corner. I feed the birds all winter and usually have the same ones every year - house finches, goldfinches, English sparrows, juncoes, wrens, the occasional titmouse, four different kinds of woodpeckers, starlings and grackles (ugh), blue jays and cardinals. Right before a storm last month there were ten PAIR of cardinals in the yard, which is a record for me. We've also got mourning doves, but since the Cooper's hawk found out about the feeder, the doves have made themselves scarce this year, since they are one of the hawk's favorites. Of course in the spring the turnout is a little different. And I've had several surgeries on both eyes, so now I can SEE them, which is a blessing.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-25-2021),nikkubus (02-25-2021)

Thanks

Oh no!!! That sounds horrible. I have been fortunate not to ever have bad problems with them despite not using pesticides. I've had minor little outbreaks trying to eat cat food, but sprinkling a bit of cayenne around the place they were coming into the house managed to get them to go away.
    This reminds me of when I lived in Memphis, and the apartment complex I lived in was infested with pharaoh ants. Teeny little things but they were everywhere. One day I poured myself a bowl of raisin bran (brand new box!) in the dark and started eating. It tasted okay but it occurred to me that the stuff in the bag looked a little crumbier than usual. By that time I was so paranoid about finding ants in stuff that I turned on the light and really looked at the bag, and of course it was full of ants. Since I'd already eaten about half the bowl without noticing anything "off" about the taste, I tried to keep eating, but I just couldn't.
    The complex finally got rid of the pharaohs by dusting boric acid everywhere, but they were replaced by bigger ants (about half the size of carpenter ants) that were biters. The managers finally gave up on trying to keep the tinier ants out because at least they were keeping the biting ants at bay. And that's when I started putting everything into plastic containers.
    Last edited by Spicey; 02-25-2021 at 03:16 AM.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

I can thank ants canada on youtube for my ant interest. I can sit there and watch his ants for hours they are really interesting little creatures. Some of his paludarium setups are out of this world blows almost any of the other naturalistic enclosures I've seen out of the water.
    I don't use pesticides either, but I've had to find some "harmless" ways to offend them. There was a non-toxic spray on the market (in CA) that had wintergreen & (I think?) rosemary oils in it, not much else. Worked miraculously- killed some ants, repelled all the rest, & smelled good doing it. Said to be pet & kid safe, kitchen safe, etc. So of course it disappeared from the stores... I think one of the big pesticide companies is now marketing something similar now? I've tried using diatomaceous earth too, it helps somewhat, but not like that spray did.

Where I live now, the only ants that ever enter my house are leaf-eaters whose routine trails get flooded out when we have lots of rain- they travel on the water pipes under my house, so they take wrong turns into the bathrooms first, then the kitchen. They take a while to re-train, but at least they aren't there to munch my food or clothing.

I do make a habit of keeping most foods in glass, plastic or metal tins that seal tightly.

I never heard of "ants canada" but I can see how that could be fascinating.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-25-2021),Spicey (02-27-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

I'm not sure if it's the same youtuber but I went down a rabbit hole for about a week on one guy. He would give these histories of his different paludariums and would call the colonies the "golden empire" or something to that effect depending on the type of ant. SUPER interesting stuff.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the same youtuber but I went down a rabbit hole for about a week on one guy. He would give these histories of his different paludariums and would call the colonies the "golden empire" or something to that effect depending on the type of ant. SUPER interesting stuff.
    Yep, that's the guy.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-26-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12