Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 926

3 members and 923 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User BlueOrleans1290's Avatar
    Thanks

New[ish] Red Tailed Boa

I need some advice. A while back we had a red tailed boa named Thor, my parents sent him off to a breeder because of how defensive he was [always trying to strike at us and but several of us several times.] He was my ex-step mom's snake and she doesn't want him. The person who is caring for him had just lost his brother who was the breeder, he is doing a great job, but Thor is in such a small cage for his size [about 8 ft] i will be getting him back soon, and trying to give him the best life I can. He is about 17 and with every day handling he WILL calm down, which I can do. But do yall have any advice? My dad and I are taking on a project to build him a huuuge cage in my room, one fit for an 8ft snake. I was thinking some branches and stuff for climbing, some foliage and moss, all that stuff. What substrate is the best? Any and all advice is appreciated!
    You are what you give

Thanks
    I applaud your thoughtful efforts (your heart is in the right place) but I don't think this snake is for you if your desire is to 'change' this adult boa.

Many folks want to place a boa in a big enclosure thinking they are doing the snake a favor. The reality is, this boa would probably do best in a modest sized enclosure with little interaction. If a person was willing (and capable) of providing a large environment for this snake it may be worth a try but that person needs to know what they are doing and observing...frankly you don't have enough experience for understanding what is working and what is not working. Having said that it is possible to get lucky and have the enclosure acceptance pay off.

What is less likely at this point is changing this 17 year old boa's behavior. It has adopted this defensive behavior and it has worked for it for all these years... Forced handling in an effort to 'calm' this snake will cause stress and will probably shorten its life...may even kill it in short order. I don't give you good odds on this approach and I'm certain it is not the best thing for this boa.

If you want take this boa in, I suggest you accept the boa for what it is currently...and that is a grumpy senior citizen that should have food delivered while allowing as much privacy as possible.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-24-2021),dakski (02-24-2021),Gio (02-24-2021),Hugsplox (02-24-2021),nikkubus (02-24-2021),WrongPython (02-24-2021)

Thanks

Re: New[ish] Red Tailed Boa

Ah, I get that. Thank you for the advice! I just remember how he used to be and he was like a big ole puppy. We can build a big cage for him, but chances are that he isn't going to live much past 21. The breeders apparently were powerfeeding him which I understand because well.. breeding. But I also understand that this takes a few years from a snake. Honestly I really just want to give him a good rest of the life, he does deserve that at least. And if I can help in any way, I will. It was in no choice of mine to give him away, but I was too young to say anything. He may not change and I may have to just admire from afar.. but it's worth it. So I'm guessing no handling or anything? All I know is that his breeder passed away and he was handled every day. And turned up like a bug puppy again untill he passed and went back to his defensive self. Quite sad.
    You are what you give

Thanks
    Thanked 19,790 Times in 11,825 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlueOrleans1290 View Post
    Ah, I get that. Thank you for the advice! I just remember how he used to be and he was like a big ole puppy. We can build a big cage for him, but chances are that he isn't going to live much past 21. The breeders apparently were powerfeeding him which I understand because well.. breeding. But I also understand that this takes a few years from a snake. Honestly I really just want to give him a good rest of the life, he does deserve that at least. And if I can help in any way, I will. It was in no choice of mine to give him away, but I was too young to say anything. He may not change and I may have to just admire from afar.. but it's worth it. So I'm guessing no handling or anything? All I know is that his breeder passed away and he was handled every day. And turned up like a bug puppy again untill he passed and went back to his defensive self. Quite sad.
    I know you're trying to help him, but remember that this snake may not be the same one (mentally) as you remember, so don't put yourself at risk by trying to handle him solo, okay? An 8' boa can hurt you- so please have someone else on hand with snake experience when you work with him. Be safe!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-24-2021),Hugsplox (02-24-2021),WrongPython (02-24-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

First of all, good on you for your thoughtful efforts and trying to do your best by this boa. It's quite refreshing to see people go to such lengths for reptiles.

Secondly (and this is the something I agree with bns on): at this point, Thor is Thor. His personality is what it is and you can't "change" him. If you'd like to take him in, you'll have to learn how to go with him and adjust your keeping to fit his needs and personality. If he truly is a defensive snake that prefers to be left alone, his wishes should be respected. Frequent handling to "calm him down" will only cause him undue stress.

That being said, are you sure that his "defensiveness" is actually defensiveness/aggression, and not just him being food happy? Some boas have an overzealous feeding response and will reflexively strike whenever their enclosure door is opened in anticipation of being fed. For them, the door opening is pretty much the dinner bell ringing! This is why tap training is so important with snakes - in short, it teaches them that you coming into their enclosure does not always equal food. Based on what you've said so far, it sounds like Thor isn't so much defensive as much as an overzealous feeder. Overzealous feeding responses are something an experienced boa breeder would know how to handle, hence why Thor became "defensive" again after the breeder passed - his breeder might not have thought much of his behavior, while people not as experienced with such boas do.

Third: are you sure Thor's actually eight feet? Even for a power-fed male common boa, that seems a bit large. It's pretty easy to overestimate a large boa's size when you're "eyeballing it" or measuring from an old shed. Try having him stretch out straight against something of known length (ie. a section of wall) and seeing how he compares. If he's more in the 6-7' range versus the 8'+ range, then a 6' cage should be alright for him. It'll give him enough room to stretch out, get comfy, and get some exercise in while being more manageable than something "huge."

In general, the combined length and width of a snake's cage should be no shorter than the snake's overall length. In an ideal scenario: length of cage (length of snake) X width of cage (half of length of snake) X height of cage (half of length of snake). Personally, I'd argue that a snake who spends the majority of their time in their enclosure (ie. one not taken out for handling for one reason or another) should have a cage of the "ideal" scenario - since they won't be coming out for handling-based exercise, they should be given more opportunity and space to exercise in their enclosure.

I hope this helps! Please take my advice with a grain of salt, though. I'm just a novice keeper - a well-read novice, hopefully, but still just a novice - so you'll want to get advice from more experienced keepers as well.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-24-2021),GoingPostal (02-25-2021),Hugsplox (02-24-2021),nikkubus (02-24-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    .... Please take my advice with a grain of salt, though. I'm just a novice keeper - a well-read novice, hopefully, but still just a novice - so you'll want to get advice from more experienced keepers as well.
    Well, "novice keeper" or not, you gave an excellent answer, with which I heartily agree.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-24-2021),nikkubus (02-24-2021),WrongPython (02-24-2021)

Thanks

Haha yeah.. he can just be my grumpy old man, I'm okay with that. And no worries, any time I have to take him out my dad will be right there. I haven't seen him in person for forever.. but I'm just going off of what the guy I'm getting him from says. Could be false?
    You are what you give

Thanks

Also I wish more people would go to these lengths.. one of my babies isn't eating and I'm trying everything I absolutely can to help her. I would literally die for my snakes God bless them I love them so much
    Last edited by BlueOrleans1290; 02-24-2021 at 06:12 PM.
    You are what you give

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueOrleans1290 View Post
    ... I would literally die for my snakes God bless them I love them so much
    No, please don't do that. They need you to stick around.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    No, please don't do that. They need you to stick around.

the snakes aren't the only ones! what would we do without your awesome sense of humor and wonderfully friendly personality Blue?
    Last edited by BeansTheDerp; 02-24-2021 at 06:21 PM.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast