Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 673

0 members and 673 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Enclosure Upgrade

Hello friends!

My leo is finally big enough that I think he can make use of a 40 breeder vs his 20 long that he's in now. While I think he's prepared for the upgrade I don't think I am because I am not nearly as creative as I wish I was, specifically with setting up display enclosures. I would love to hear, or see what you guys are working with. What kind of substrate are you using, what kind of décor are you setting up, etc. I don't know that I want to try to do anything bioactive, but I would love to make something close to their natural habitat.

Plus I'm shamelessly trying to get the gecko sections a little more attention

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-24-2021),nikkubus (02-24-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Enclosure Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Hello friends!

My leo is finally big enough that I think he can make use of a 40 breeder vs his 20 long that he's in now. While I think he's prepared for the upgrade I don't think I am because I am not nearly as creative as I wish I was, specifically with setting up display enclosures. I would love to hear, or see what you guys are working with. What kind of substrate are you using, what kind of décor are you setting up, etc. I don't know that I want to try to do anything bioactive, but I would love to make something close to their natural habitat.

A few thoughts.

1. Leo's will use the space if given. So moving to a 40G sounds good to me. It will also be easier to have a nice temp gradient.

2. I use paper substrate because it's easier and my LG's don't seem to care. They don't need a lot of humidity and that's an easy way to do it. Having said that, other substrates are okay and easy because LG's tend to "go" in the same spot or spots all the time. This makes spot cleaning easy.

Just be careful that whatever substrate you use isn't something you Leo can ingest and get impacted. That's another benefit of paper.

3. Regarding decor, I have 3 hides and a moist hide and a water bowl for my LG's. They don't need too much and don't really climb. I go for cleanliness and function over form. However, some natural looking fake plants, hides, etc. would probably work well if you want the spruce the tank up.

I have four geckos. 2 LG's and 2 Rhacodactylus - a Chewie and a Leachie. Would be nice to get some attention in the gecko section .

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-24-2021),nikkubus (02-24-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    A few thoughts.

1. Leo's will use the space if given. So moving to a 40G sounds good to me. It will also be easier to have a nice temp gradient.

2. I use paper substrate because it's easier and my LG's don't seem to care. They don't need a lot of humidity and that's an easy way to do it. Having said that, other substrates are okay and easy because LG's tend to "go" in the same spot or spots all the time. This makes spot cleaning easy.

Just be careful that whatever substrate you use isn't something you Leo can ingest and get impacted. That's another benefit of paper.

3. Regarding decor, I have 3 hides and a moist hide and a water bowl for my LG's. They don't need too much and don't really climb. I go for cleanliness and function over form. However, some natural looking fake plants, hides, etc. would probably work well if you want the spruce the tank up.

I have four geckos. 2 LG's and 2 Rhacodactylus - a Chewie and a Leachie. Would be nice to get some attention in the gecko section .
    Thanks Dakski I was hoping you'd chime in!

I'm using paper right now and you're right they really don't seem to care. I did try out reptile "carpet" but I didn't feel like I could get it as clean and of course I was always worried about him getting stuck on it somehow and losing a toe or something so I tossed it. Impaction has always been a concern which is why I've never done actual substrate but just figured I'd see what works for everyone.

I'll probably do some hide upgrades too just so he has a few of the same type and can go wherever he wants. I've only got three right geckos now, the leo and two cresteds. I thought about a leachie but I think, and I may have talked to you about this before, but I think I want to try my hand down the road at breeding cresteds so I'm saving room. My dream is to get one of Tiki's Geckos Deadpool gargoyles, but I think those guys are asking a little much for them, but it's a new morph so I get it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-24-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Hello friends!

I recently moved my Leo to a 40 gallon breeder tank. Substrate are tiles you can pick up for cheap at hardware stores. You can also use slate rocks for substrate if you find any for a more natural look, but tile floors don't look too bad and has different colors and textures as well.

I use the same hides: 2 regular hide plus humid hide. The rest of the tank is decorated with rocks and cork bark pieces. I also added a used large fish decor piece, I flipped it vertically and it has a rock look to it. So any used or free fish decor that can be cleaned and reused is an idea as well. Fake plants from craft stores are affordable and come with lots of choices.

Lastly, I noticed my gecko has been climbing on the decor pieces. They are not that tall, but he still goes up and comes down with ease. While geckos normally don't climb, if yours do, it adds extra exercise and stimulation for your gecko. Doesn't hurt as long as it's not too high or collapses on your gecko.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 02-24-2021 at 10:04 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-25-2021)