Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 630

1 members and 629 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Crossing my fingers for you that there isn't a really long wait for appointments at your vet, I know that has been a huge issue with covid. It could be something moderately easy to fix, you just can't know till you get an experienced vet to take a look so you really have to play it safe.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Re: Scab on the face

Quote Originally Posted by aa_ezra View Post
    I’ll try to get a more recent better picture, that picture was about 2 weeks ago. That link for a vet was helpful thank you very much. The vet I take my cats too was on that list which is lucky as they aren’t accepting new customers or what not due to the whole covid thing, most aren’t around here I’ve heard.

I’ll make a call to the vet tomorrow and describe to them what you guys have mentioned. Swollen face, possible mouth rot and a concerning scab. Is there anything you recommend I do in the meantime? I’m not sure how soon I can get in to the vet.

Do you guys think it might be from pushing on the tank? According to my girl she remembers it pushing around the glass and screen top the first day we had her so maybe the swelling and scab is from that? She has not done it with me since the changes to the tank with background paper all 3 sides minus the front, foil tape on the top and a few fake plants and a large piece of wood. Maybe it’s wishful thinking her bad tank setup from her old owner is at fault.

Sorry for the huge ramble I’m just really hoping it’s not something that she dies from
    While waiting to see the vet. She has been eating and is due tomorrow for another feeding that maybe I should postpone until the vet visit ? Ok my rant is over. I do appreciate everyone who has replied.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I meant to mention- that's exactly what it looks to me like it's from- pushing on the top or wherever the "way out" of the tank is (some have front sliding doors). What I would do is email the photo to the vet to see how urgent they think it is. I wouldn't exactly say this is an emergency - but if you aren't comfortable opening her mouth or know what you're looking for when you do, she should be seen before too long, so that if there's an infection going on it doesn't have time to get worse & harder to treat. Some snakes that push on their faces end up with an abscess that has to be surgically removed, & that is no fun at all, more expensive too. It sounds like the modifications you made to her home probably fixed the issue- I hope so, as some snakes are really stubborn about pushing, & their reasons for doing so might include wrong temperatures (usually excessive heat), hunger, mating drive, need for more space, bright lights (snakes hate 'em), or plain old curiosity, etc.

Feeding schedules are entirely human concerns, your snake can wait to eat if you're going to the vet (or might be) anytime soon, but I would speak to them first & schedule her meal so it's well-before (optimally a week) or after her visit. She may likely be stressed after the visit, & may need a few days to settle down- our snakes really don't understand these things. Also, if she is prescribed medication, that may affect how she feels (she might not feel like eating for a while), & some treatments definitely don't enhance a snake's appetite. So it probably would be best to get her fed prior to seeing the vet- in case she doesn't have a meal for a while after the appointment. That's cool that your vet is on the list.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-25-2021 at 03:24 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-25-2021)

Thanks

Ok so my vet is not accepting new patients but since I have been active last 3 years I was accepted the office tried for Friday if there were any cancelations but the soonest I could get in with them was Tuesday march 2nd. Have them weight length and the diagnosis you guys thought it might be. Today is her feeding day so I think I’ll feed her as I would assume 5 days time she will be good to go. Would it be good insurance to have her fed before the visit that way she has energy to manage whatever medications she might go thru?

Here are some picture as of today. Scab has not changed but her nose seems smaller and those pics were not the best

5. The Following User Says Thank You to aa_ezra For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-25-2021)

Thanks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aa_ezra For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-25-2021)

Thanks

Look better you think?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to aa_ezra For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-25-2021)

Thanks
    Not much facial swelling now, if any- it does seem better to me too, at least on the "outside"- hopefully not a mouth infection going on though. Yes, 5 days is fine, I'd feed her now, it's a good sign she wants to eat also- best to keep up her energy. She looks pretty healthy overall. Just a good idea to get her mouth (inside) checked, IMO- glad you got an appointment.

Vet offices aren't all the same- I just had my elderly dog at the vet today, & she's quite busy. But I don't blame anyone for caution, no one needs to catch COVID.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-25-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I would agree, the swelling seems to have gone down. That is a great sign. March 2nd is a reasonable time frame in my opinion for her to get checked. I would also agree she should be okay to eat, 5 days is a good enough gap.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks

Thanks, makes me feel a little better and not just imagining the swelling is gone. She has been eating every week since I’ve had her and I’ve had her 3 weeks so I was hoping her eating every week was a healthy sign. And within the last week ( 5 days) she made 2 poops with Urates as under the poops was wet. The poops were half green/white about 4 days apart give or take a day.

Glad you guys think she looks healthy I thought she looked a little under weight.

Thanks
    It's hard to judge a snake's weight when they're coiled up, but from what I can see she looks fine. Be careful what snakes you're comparing her to, as some people over-feed their snakes too.

Maybe this will help you judge her weight better:
    https://reptifiles.com/ball-python-c...ealth/obesity/

Since you've only had her for 3 weeks & you're going to the vet anyway, I'd suggest taking a fresh stool sample with you if at all possible, so they can check for parasites. That would be one cause of a snake being underweight, because they're involuntarily sharing their food, & if your snake has ever eaten live or fresh-killed rodents, she could be harboring intestinal worms. Not saying she is, just saying it's easy to check for in their stool, & easy to eliminate the problem if it exists.

Thanks

She was being fed once every two weeks frozen attic medium rats from Petsmart.......

Good news and bad news. Good news I’m a super proud papa... I just found a cat sized poop all brown and her shed skin stuck to the big poop and man did it stink! I found this cleaning just now preparing to feed her, and boy was she ready to eat!

Bad news I just tossed the poop with substrate. If I have to go dig it out of the trash I will but will it keep for 5 days and how should I store it? Can I look for obvious parasites myself and will the said parisites she may have stay alive long enough? If so I’m going trash digging.

Thanks

About

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast