Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,805

1 members and 2,804 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Addition

Thanks

Re: New Addition

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    Oh mine totally is. It's gotten caught in more earrings and whacked people in the eye plenty of times

my hair gets caught in stickers and hair ties and even Beans. that's right I said Beans. he tangles himself in my hair constantly and stares at me from my shoulder until I untangle him, then he continues to DO IT AGAIN.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeansTheDerp View Post
    my hair gets caught in stickers and hair ties and even Beans. that's right I said Beans. he tangles himself in my hair constantly and stares at me from my shoulder until I untangle him, then he continues to DO IT AGAIN.
    That's what snakes do with long hair (mine too), mostly in their search for traction, so we can't exactly blame them. If you stuck me on top of a tall tower (aka a human) & I had no hands, I'd do whatever it took to avoid falling too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (02-23-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

You guys had me cracking up reading these posts this morning. I was going to go through and quote everyone but I figured I'd just do a single response.

Over the weekend I got him transferred into his enclosure, and have just been letting him do his thing. While I've heard curly hairs are pretty docile, I don't intend for this to be a hands on pet, he's just to look at. They do have urticating hairs, or hairs that they kick off as a defense mechanism, and I read that they can even blind predators in the wild if they get in their eyes.

So far I've seen no posturing or hair kicking from this guy. Even when I was ushering him into a catch up to transfer him into his new enclosure he was just relaxed and walked right in for me. The ease of care so far as been ridiculous compared to the reptiles. I'm excited to watch him grow and while I kind of bounced the idea around of starting a small collection of Ts I think I might just stop here.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (02-23-2021),Bogertophis (02-23-2021),nikkubus (02-23-2021)

Registered User BlueOrleans1290's Avatar
    Thanks

YESSS snakes entangled in hair =disaster. I swear they hook themselves in there
    You are what you give

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I would agree that the care is ridiculously easy in most new world species as long as you start with an old enough one. Slings and certain species can be quite a bit more demanding than this size of curly hair. I find feeding more difficult than reptiles that eat f/t but it's still very hard once they are a bit grown as long as you aren't dealing with really fast species.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-23-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    I would agree that the care is ridiculously easy in most new world species as long as you start with an old enough one. Slings and certain species can be quite a bit more demanding than this size of curly hair. I find feeding more difficult than reptiles that eat f/t but it's still very hard once they are a bit grown as long as you aren't dealing with really fast species.
    Yea I'm a little concerned about feeding but I obviously haven't tried yet, I figured since I just put him in a new enclosure I'd leave him alone for a week or so before even trying. I really hope he'll take dubias because I've gotten everyone else off crickets and I do not miss having them in the house, but I figure 1-2 a week won't hurt anything.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-23-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Yea I'm a little concerned about feeding but I obviously haven't tried yet, I figured since I just put him in a new enclosure I'd leave him alone for a week or so before even trying. I really hope he'll take dubias because I've gotten everyone else off crickets and I do not miss having them in the house, but I figure 1-2 a week won't hurt anything.
    He should. I never had an issue with any T not wanting dubia and preferring crickets, so long as they are big enough to eat baby dubia in the first place. I too am not a fan of crickets.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-23-2021)

Thanks

Week 3 Update

It has been a ride so far! Prince Harry was sat in a quiet corner for the first week to settle in. By the end of week I was seeing some signs of molting, and sure enough exactly 1 week after coming home, he was on his back. The molt went well and I was lucky enough to catch it at the beginning so I got to observe the entire process. Week 2 showed what my research told me was typical post-molt behavior. Towards the end of the week he became more active and started periodically exploring his enclosure.

After giving him a few extra days to be sure his fangs were hardened I dropped in a feeder this morning and my slow spider suddenly became a speed demon. This was my first time seeing tarantula hunting behavior and it was fascinating to observe.

Long story short, so far so good!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-16-2021),dakski (03-16-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post

After giving him a few extra days to be sure his fangs were hardened I dropped in a feeder this morning and my slow spider suddenly became a speed demon. This was my first time seeing tarantula hunting behavior and it was fascinating to observe.

Long story short, so far so good!
    I didn't know that, about their fangs needing to harden?

And just so you know, we wouldn't turn down a t-hunting video around here. If you ever happen to catch it...

(Some people probably sleep too much anyway...)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-16-2021),Hugsplox (03-16-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I didn't know that, about their fangs needing to harden?

And just so you know, we wouldn't turn down a t-hunting video around here. If you ever happen to catch it...

(Some people probably sleep too much anyway...)
    I didn't either! Everything I read though says that everything, including their fangs, are incredibly fragile after a molt, and most recommendations were to wait a week before attempting to feed, which seems to have worked out even though I went a few days over for my own peace of mind.

I started to try and video this time but wanted to make sure I wasn't being too intrusive for his first feeding with me. I pretty much just dropped in the feeder and stepped way back to see what he would do

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-16-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12