Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,712

1 members and 2,711 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Enclosure size options for juvenile BP

Back with a new question! (I would have just added to my first thread and edited the title to indicate a new question was being posted, but I don't see an edit option - correct me if I'm missing it?)

I'm going to be building my own enclosure and would like some opinions on which dimensions would be better for a juvenile BP. The snakes I've been looking at on Morph Market tend to fall in the 100-250g range depending on when they hatched in 2020. The two enclosure sizes I've plotted out are 30"x18" or 28"x16" (height probably 12-14"). I'm happy to go bigger (or smaller?), I'm just running into conflicting info on whether bigger is in fact too big for younger snakes. As far as hide box size, am I right to think the medium RB box is too large for the size of snake I'm looking at? In the picture I've cut out a medium box size paper, and a smaller one with dimensions of a small hide I found on Amazon since the Reptile Basics small seems too small. Which would be better to start with?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    You're correct- you cannot edit your title. And you can only edit your posts for a limited amount of time.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Enclosure size options for juvenile BP

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You're correct- you cannot edit your title. And you can only edit your posts for a limited amount of time.
    Good to know, thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by C.alex View Post
    Back with a new question! (I would have just added to my first thread and edited the title to indicate a new question was being posted, but I don't see an edit option - correct me if I'm missing it?)

I'm going to be building my own enclosure and would like some opinions on which dimensions would be better for a juvenile BP. The snakes I've been looking at on Morph Market tend to fall in the 100-250g range depending on when they hatched in 2020. The two enclosure sizes I've plotted out are 30"x18" or 28"x16" (height probably 12-14"). I'm happy to go bigger (or smaller?), I'm just running into conflicting info on whether bigger is in fact too big for younger snakes. As far as hide box size, am I right to think the medium RB box is too large for the size of snake I'm looking at? In the picture I've cut out a medium box size paper, and a smaller one with dimensions of a small hide I found on Amazon since the Reptile Basics small seems too small. Which would be better to start with?

BP's like to feel secure. So, generally speaking, smaller is better for younger/smaller BP's.

Honestly, I've broken that rule with snakes, even BP's before, but you have to have an established eater and clutter up the larger tank like crazy.

In other words, they need to think the bigger tank is indeed much smaller than it is and do not have to go far to find shelter and a safe place.

Highest degree of success will be a smaller, cluttered, tank. Lowest degree of success, will be a larger cluttered tank.

I've had success when I quarantine in a small tank, get a snake established, eating, make sure they are healthy, etc. and then move to a larger tank. My quarantine period is a minimum of 90 days. I often use small PVC tanks for this purpose - like 10-14G size. I've had success with small glass tanks as well, but it's harder to keep the humidity in and the temps correct. However, if costs are a factor, that is a way you can go.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-22-2021),C.alex (02-22-2021),Hugsplox (02-23-2021),nikkubus (02-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Get yourself one of these (note the latches for the lid, which will serve to keep the snake securely in the tub):
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hefty-3-75-...Lid/1000505523

Put a UTH under it, hook up a thermostat, add two small hides and a water bowl in the middle with newspaper for substrate. It will work for a few months. In the meantime go ahead and build an adult-size enclosure and move your snake into it when it outgrows the tub.
    Last edited by bcr229; 02-21-2021 at 11:58 PM.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (02-22-2021),Bogertophis (02-22-2021),C.alex (02-22-2021),GoingPostal (02-22-2021),Hugsplox (02-22-2021),jmcrook (02-21-2021),nikkubus (02-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    There is a lot of conflicting information and you just have to decide who's opinion you trust more, people who have kept large numbers of reptiles for several decades and had success with them, or some people on the internet who are worried about them being "happy" but either don't own one or only have kept one or two for a couple years.

I've tried it both ways. I have juveniles and adults kept both ways now. It depends on the individual snake, but 95% of the time, smaller is better. You take the time to get to know your individual snake and how they act in a small enclosure first, 15qt tub is perfect for most 2020 BP's, but if you get a late 2020 100-150g I'd go even smaller than that and do a 6qt very temporarily. Height is the last place I would add size if making a custom enclosure. If they really do want more room, length is a lot more important and less scary to them. I would stick with 6" or less in height till they are a lot bigger or you know for sure you have a particularly confident one.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-22-2021),C.alex (02-22-2021),Hugsplox (02-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thank you for all the input, starting smaller to gauge how the snake settles in sounds reasonable to me.

If I do start with a tub setup, is UTH enough on its own? My setup is in a basement that's around 68-70F on average and keeping ambient temps up even on the cool side is going to be something I need to dial in.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Short answer, no. UTH will definitely not be enough at those temps. This is what I use for new/smaller animals in stand alone tubs
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...Quarantine-Tub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-23-2021),dakski (02-23-2021),nikkubus (02-23-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Short answer, no. UTH will definitely not be enough at those temps. This is what I use for new/smaller animals in stand alone tubs
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...Quarantine-Tub
    Oh great, thanks for that visual. You also mentioned using two UTHs in your thread - like this but on a smaller scale? https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...IArn3xzes/edit Are you still unlikely to affect the ambient much?

I'll definitely play around with my options once my Herpstat and other supplies arrive, though I can't mount anything to the wall so a CHE setup may be a little trickier to keep elevated safely (first thought was an adjustable lamp arm if I can ensure it cannot droop).

Thanks

You could also look into options to raise the ambient temperature of the basement, although that may be more expensive. Another option may be to have a type of enclosed cabinet where you keep your ball pythons tank you would be able to hang CHE or lamps from the wood frame. In my experience my ball pythons have not minded larger tanks as long as I have kept them well cluttered with hides/branches or other decorations. You could also cover three out of the four sides of the tank to help in making it feel more secure.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gerguera For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-23-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast