Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 763

3 members and 760 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: No movement

Registered User BlueOrleans1290's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: No movement

Oh and, I put the frozen fuzzy rat in water that's about 92 degrees for 30 mins or untill it's completely floppy on the tongs. Then once it is, I put it in another cup with 92 degree water to warm it up again.
    You are what you give

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    If she only has one hide, I'd add another of the same exact type to the cool end.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

BlueOrleans1290 (02-21-2021),Bogertophis (02-21-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    If she only has one hide, I'd add another of the same exact type to the cool end.
    Will do. Did everything else sound alright though?
    You are what you give

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlueOrleans1290 View Post
    Not sure which exact exoterra you have, if it's one of the arboreal shaped ones vs the long ones, that could be intimidating to a young BP, but everything else seems good.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    The red light is not the problem, especially if it’s infrared. Been using longer then I care to remember. Che’s are heat zappers that make humidity issues a lot worse in aquarium type tanks. ✌️
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    Not sure which exact exoterra you have, if it's one of the arboreal shaped ones vs the long ones, that could be intimidating to a young BP, but everything else seems good.
    It is a taller one, I have an adult cage for her, but she's just too small right now. Thank you
    You are what you give

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlueOrleans1290 View Post
    Pretty much...just be sure you're taking the temps on the floor where she actually is- tall tanks are harder to heat, especially from above- it has trouble reaching the floor. (I saw where you're using UTH too.) And add at least one hide for sure. If you have trouble keeping the humidity up, & enough room for 3 hides, make one a "humid hide".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-21-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Pretty much...just be sure you're taking the temps on the floor where she actually is- tall tanks are harder to heat, especially from above- it has trouble reaching the floor. (I saw where you're using UTH too.) And add at least one hide for sure. If you have trouble keeping the humidity up, & enough room for 3 hides, make one a "humid hide".
    Will do, I really appreciate it! I'll do my best to make sure she has the best care I can offer
    You are what you give

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

A few thoughts that could help.

If she's young, and eating fuzzy rats implies she is, the following is very important. She will need to eat soon.

1. Once you get husbandry on point (temps, hides - more on hides in second, humidity, etc), you may still have to offer a live fuzzy rat to get her going. If she was eating live and not F/T, you might not be able to switch her right away. They often do switch, but at this point, you might not have a choice for much longer.

2. Hides, hides, hides. If she is in her adult enclosure, as you say, she will need hides that are identical and SNUG on the warm and cool side, but also probably one in the middle, and/or a big water bowl, etc. to clutter up the tank. Adult BP's need to feel secure in their enclosures. Younger BP's, especially ones that haven't eaten, definitely need that feeling.

The more items in the tank, the better right now. Let her feel snug.

3. As Bogertophis said - temps taken at the ground with a temp gun are pivotal. That's the only way you will know for sure what temps you are dealing with.

Below is how to properly defrost a rat without cooking it or it still being frozen. It's important to let it defrost at room temp and then warm it up at the end and quickly before feeding on tongs. A BP will turn down a cooked rat. Also, be gentle when offering. Don't shove in her face, etc. Let her strike at it. If she doesn't, you can leave up to overnight, but not more than 12 hours. Often if they don't take quickly, they won't eat.

Any other questions, just ask.

This is my step by step list on defrosting F/T rodents.

Others may do it differently and that's fine. This how I do it and it works for me.

STEPS FOR DEFROSTING F/T RODENTS/PREY

1. Put prey item(s) into appropriate size plastic bag. I use Quart size ziplock bags up to a medium rat. NOTE: Bags are optional. Some people just throw the prey in the water. I like the bags, but you have to squeeze the air out of them.

2. Fill the container/storage box 3/4 of the way with room temp to slightly warm water. If you have a temp gun (which you should, so if you don't, get one), make sure the water is not hotter than 85-90F, or there about.

3. Put F/T prey item(s) in water. Cover (optional) and leave for an hour +/-.

4. After an hour, rotate/flip prey. If in plastic bags, they often will stay on whatever side you put them in on. So if mouse is on left side, turn to right side, etc.

5. Leave for another hour +/- for a TOTAL of about 2 hours (up to medium sized rat - longer if bigger prey).

6. Check that prey is defrosted totally through. Squeeze at different sections of the preys body. Should be cool/room temp to touch, but be soft with no cold spots. If hard (except for bone), in abdomen, for example, or cold, put back in water until room temp and soft.

7. Take prey out of the container/storage box and put aside. THEN FOLLOW STEPS 8-11 OR STEP 12

8. Fill container with hot water from tap. If using temp gun, water temp should be 110-130F, not more.

9. Drop prey item into water for 30 seconds +/-. If multiple prey items, do one at a time. You want each item hot when you offer.

10. Remove (if hot water, with tongs).

11. Dry as best as you can, and is quickly as you can, with paper towels. I dry with paper towels while I am walking from the bathroom where I defrost to the snake tanks. I kind of wrap the prey item up in them. It's ten feet, so by the time I get to the tanks, the prey is drier, but still warm.

12. If not using hot water, use a hairdryer to heat rat so it entices snake

13. Open tank and offer ASAP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    A few thoughts that could help.

If she's young, and eating fuzzy rats implies she is, the following is very important. She will need to eat soon.

1. Once you get husbandry on point (temps, hides - more on hides in second, humidity, etc), you may still have to offer a live fuzzy rat to get her going. If she was eating live and not F/T, you might not be able to switch her right away. They often do switch, but at this point, you might not have a choice for much longer.

2. Hides, hides, hides. If she is in her adult enclosure, as you say, she will need hides that are identical and SNUG on the warm and cool side, but also probably one in the middle, and/or a big water bowl, etc. to clutter up the tank. Adult BP's need to feel secure in their enclosures. Younger BP's, especially ones that haven't eaten, definitely need that feeling.

The more items in the tank, the better right now. Let her feel snug.

3. As Bogertophis said - temps taken at the ground with a temp gun are pivotal. That's the only way you will know for sure what temps you are dealing with.

Below is how to properly defrost a rat without cooking it or it still being frozen. It's important to let it defrost at room temp and then warm it up at the end and quickly before feeding on tongs. A BP will turn down a cooked rat. Also, be gentle when offering. Don't shove in her face, etc. Let her strike at it. If she doesn't, you can leave up to overnight, but not more than 12 hours. Often if they don't take quickly, they won't eat.

Any other questions, just ask.

This is my step by step list on defrosting F/T rodents.

Others may do it differently and that's fine. This how I do it and it works for me.

STEPS FOR DEFROSTING F/T RODENTS/PREY

1. Put prey item(s) into appropriate size plastic bag. I use Quart size ziplock bags up to a medium rat. NOTE: Bags are optional. Some people just throw the prey in the water. I like the bags, but you have to squeeze the air out of them.

2. Fill the container/storage box 3/4 of the way with room temp to slightly warm water. If you have a temp gun (which you should, so if you don't, get one), make sure the water is not hotter than 85-90F, or there about.

3. Put F/T prey item(s) in water. Cover (optional) and leave for an hour +/-.

4. After an hour, rotate/flip prey. If in plastic bags, they often will stay on whatever side you put them in on. So if mouse is on left side, turn to right side, etc.

5. Leave for another hour +/- for a TOTAL of about 2 hours (up to medium sized rat - longer if bigger prey).

6. Check that prey is defrosted totally through. Squeeze at different sections of the preys body. Should be cool/room temp to touch, but be soft with no cold spots. If hard (except for bone), in abdomen, for example, or cold, put back in water until room temp and soft.

7. Take prey out of the container/storage box and put aside. THEN FOLLOW STEPS 8-11 OR STEP 12

8. Fill container with hot water from tap. If using temp gun, water temp should be 110-130F, not more.

9. Drop prey item into water for 30 seconds +/-. If multiple prey items, do one at a time. You want each item hot when you offer.

10. Remove (if hot water, with tongs).

11. Dry as best as you can, and is quickly as you can, with paper towels. I dry with paper towels while I am walking from the bathroom where I defrost to the snake tanks. I kind of wrap the prey item up in them. It's ten feet, so by the time I get to the tanks, the prey is drier, but still warm.

12. If not using hot water, use a hairdryer to heat rat so it entices snake

13. Open tank and offer ASAP.
    Thank you so much! Will do. I have it scheduled to try again this Wednesday. When should I start worrying that she isn't eating? Ther isn't anyone around us that carries live anymore. I've checked everywhere.. the only other substitute would be a small hampster.. which I'm not sure I'm willing to do unless her life depends on it.. honestly not even sure if that would be healthy for her. So probably not. I was going to try two more times, and if she still refuses both, then I'm not sure what to do next. Simply because I can't find live anywhere. Maybe I could order live online but I doubt that would go very well.
    You are what you give

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast