Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,679

0 members and 2,679 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Monumental weight gain

I have a 28 month old female who has been a consistent feeder and weight gainer. Generally 150 grams monthly. This past month, eating a medium rat weekly, she gained 372 grams. She's also hugging her water dish. Should I be on the look out for any thing in particular? Yep, she is my first one. All insight is welcome. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Monumental weight gain

How much does she weigh in total?

Unless she is huge, she should be eating a small rat every two weeks. Not anything weekly.

If she is huge - depending on weight and body condition, a medium rat every 2-3 weeks is as big and often as I would feed.

Also, do you weigh after waste or at random times. Best to weigh "dry." However, if feeding weekly, there's always going to be something in there.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (02-18-2021),GoingPostal (02-18-2021),nikkubus (02-18-2021)

Thanks

Her weight is 2322g. I thought you fed weekly till adulthood. She does look a bit chunky lately. I'll be happy not to spend a hour picking up rats every Saturday .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zspook For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-18-2021)

Thanks

Yeah, at 2.3kg she can eat small rats every 2 weeks. If she happens to lose weight, which I doubt, you can always go to mediums every 2-3, as mentioned. I think she will stay stable, or gain, on small rats every other week, just at slower pace if she gains.

However, BP's are quite efficient and in the wild eat mostly African Soft Fur (ASF) rats. They do not get over about 90G.

When my female BP, Shayna, switched from medium rats every 2-3 weeks, to small rats every two, she actually gained weight. She stopped refusing meals except in winter fast, and ate more regularly. Easier to digest and better for her. She's 8 now and I switched her at 5 or 6 years old and she went from about 1.7kg to about 2KG.

Usually better to feed less than more with snakes.

Good luck and keep us posted. I think it will go well.

The BP feeding chart on here (below), is a good guide for size up to medium rats, IMO. I wouldn't feed mediums unless an animal was losing weight on small rats, or over 3-4KG, which is not too common, or after breeding etc. if the BP will eat them regularly. I also think weekly is too frequent once on small rats.

Last edited by dakski; 02-18-2021 at 12:26 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (02-18-2021),nikkubus (02-18-2021)

Thanks

According to the chart, I'm feeding her correctly. But... I agree she needs a reduction of calories. We'll see how it goes. Thanks, dakski !

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zspook For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zspook View Post
    Her weight is 2322g. I thought you fed weekly till adulthood. She does look a bit chunky lately. I'll be happy not to spend a hour picking up rats every Saturday .

1000g+ is considered an adult for a female (though I wouldn't breed less than 1500g), even though they continue to grow (forever). A small every 2 weeks should be perfect indefinitely unless she happens to be an exceptionally large girl years down the road or if you are breeding. She is big enough that you CAN feed a medium if you like, you just have to slow it down and make sure she is putting on appropriate weight, not just getting fat. I'd even cut her down to every 4 weeks if she is already obese until she reaches appropriate proportions. Taking down a medium rat weekly for a month, I'd imagine she probably is pretty chunky.

7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-18-2021),EL-Ziggy (02-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

The medium rats are fine but feeding weekly is too often. I agree with dialing the feeding frequency back to every 2-3 weeks. I don't feed any of my snakes weekly after their first year.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 02-18-2021 at 05:55 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (02-18-2021),nikkubus (02-18-2021)

Thanks

Thanks for responses to my fat dilemma. I'm leaning towards a small rat every other week. She may not be happy about it, she is a enthusiastic feeder. Needless to say. So, should I slow the feedings until I see a drop in weight or better to go by body roundness?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zspook For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-19-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zspook View Post
    Thanks for responses to my fat dilemma. I'm leaning towards a small rat every other week. She may not be happy about it, she is a enthusiastic feeder. Needless to say. So, should I slow the feedings until I see a drop in weight or better to go by body roundness?
    Sounds like a good plan - small rat every other week.

I would go by body definition.

Don't worry about the small rat vs. medium rat for her. She sounds like a good eater, so she'll probably just be excited for food and not measure it up .

Keep in mind, it may take a long time, like a year + for her body to completely change shape.

Just know you are doing good by her and that she will be fine.

I do not think you will see her drop weight at all. I think she will grow much slower and will probably grow into her current weight (range).

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-19-2021 at 10:40 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (02-20-2021),nikkubus (02-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Yeah I wouldn't be trying to get her to literally lose weight, but you want to slow it way down so that her bones catch up. If you are weighing her, try to do it the day before feeding so she is empty and you know you are getting the most accurate, meaningful numbers. See if you can get her to almost maintain her weight or very slight gain until her shape is how it should be.

The chart does say every week, but I think that is excessive for non-breeders. Seems silly to me they have different frequency up till then and suddenly breeders should be fed the exact same as pets when one is burning TONS of calories to build follicles, then eggs, and lay, and the other is just chillaxin. I feed even my breeders every other week most of the year, it's only late fall/early winter, and then for about a month after laying that I'm really letting them pound rats as much as they will eat.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-20-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast