Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,056

1 members and 3,055 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Weird little patch of “retained skin” which i am unsure is retained skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gclaude View Post
    Without soaking and oil it is a grey color. I also thought yellow fungus but i thought maybe it would’ve spread to the other parts of her lower body by now.
    It's possible that it just hasn't started to spread yet, and then of course it's possible that that's not what it is. I've been fortunate that I've never seen it in person and never had to deal with it. It may even just be a reaction to the oil. I'm with Boger though, I think your best bet is to see a herp vet and just make sure it's not something that requires some type of treatment. Best case you get some peace of mind and she gets a check up, worst case it turns out to be something bad, but either way at least you know and can get some help with it.

I'm hoping it's just a "leave it alone and it'll resolve" type deal, but I'm just not sure and I'd hate for it to spread and you lose her over something that's probably treatable.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-19-2021),Gclaude (02-19-2021),nikkubus (02-19-2021)

Thanks

Yea , i would be so hurt if something happens to her she’s my baby. I will take her to a vet next week since we’ve been having bad weather and everything is closed. Hopefully by that time it’ll be healed or has fallen off by then.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gclaude For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-19-2021),Hugsplox (02-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Actually I just did a little digging...have you looked up scale rot in bearded dragons? I think that fits what you're describing far more than yellow fungus, & frequent moisture is part of the enemy if that's what it is- a bacterial infection. So stop that soaking, first off. And do look that up, there are way too many links for me to add here. And it can also be painful- so that might have been a good observation on your part.

If scale rot, I'm seeing some suggestions for using diluted Betadine (povidone iodine) dabbed on the spot, OR raw unpasteurized honey (it's antibacterial)- you could try either or both (not together), because neither one will hurt anything if it's not scale rot anyway. (don't let your dragon lap up any Betadine, just dab on with a Q tip or similar thing)

And here is Vetericyn's "take" on scale rot (not just beardies): https://vetericyn.com/blog/how-to-tr...t-on-reptiles/
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-19-2021 at 03:13 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-19-2021),nikkubus (02-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Actually I just did a little digging...have you looked up scale rot in bearded dragons? I think that fits what you're describing far more than yellow fungus, & frequent moisture is part of the enemy if that's what it is- a bacterial infection. So stop that soaking, first off. And do look that up, there are way too many links for me to add here. And it can also be painful- so that might have been a good observation on your part.

Good call Boger!

I just did a little digging having never dealt with scale rot in dragons myself, but one of the symptoms talks about blisters forming between the scales, that might explain the "slimy" feel of the skin.

Take a look at the below thread from beardedragon.org and see if that's what you're seeing. This is a pretty severe case so just.. be warned it's a sad photo to look at, but a good example.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums...?f=45&t=218779

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    ... one of the symptoms talks about blisters forming between the scales, that might explain the "slimy" feel of the skin...
    Yes, exactly. This seems to be the most likely explanation.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-19-2021 at 03:34 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-19-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12