Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,865

0 members and 2,865 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Weird little patch of “retained skin” which i am unsure is retained skin.

Can anyone tell me what this is on my beardie’s tail base?

I’m new to this . I have not yet figured out how to post a picture but as soon as i do i will post a picture of what it looks like. It is the only part of her body that hasn’t shedded yet. It is fairly discolored and i am beginning to worry that it may be more threatening to her health or tail eventhough she is still a fairly active beardie and doesn’t seem to be affected by it any. We tried soaking and trying to remove and some of it did come off but it was not easy. She still doesn’t seem to be bothered by it, but when we touch it she jumps a little i don’t know if it is because she can’t see our hands or if it really hurts. It doesn’t look bruised, leaky, fleshy or anything just very slimy and yeah.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Weird little patch of “retained skin” which i am unsure is retained skin.

Tapatalk app for your phone or tablet is the easiest way to post pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gclaude (02-19-2021),Hugsplox (02-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

It's hard to say without actually seeing what you're referring to, but "slimy" is an adjective that I've never had to use to describe a bearded dragon shed issue.

As I'm sure you know, bearded dragons don't shed in one piece but in the messiest way possible a little at a time. Retained shed is typically just dry and is obvious. I've never had any part of a bearded dragon appear slimy, especially the area that you're referring to. If it's tender to the touch, your dragon is going to let you know, and if it's slimy it has to be coming from somewhere. Does the spot feel soft/hard? Is it sunken in or raised?

It's nearly impossible for anyone on here to diagnose an animal, and if she's showing signs of distress when you touch it, it's 100% time for a vet visit.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Gclaude (02-19-2021),jmcrook (02-19-2021)

Thanks

She doesn’t act distressed it actually doesn’t seem to bother her. The spot almost looks like when I let her soak when she is shedding and all the loose skin is wet. I am going to download the app so y’all can see .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gclaude For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-19-2021)

Thanks

The yellow is from using vitamin E oil in the area but this is a recent picture of her soaking
    Last edited by Gclaude; 02-19-2021 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks

The skin feels like the rest of her except when it is wet

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gclaude View Post
    The skin feels like the rest of her except when it is wet
    Does it look like that all the time or just when it's wet? It's hard to tell what's going on because your photo is her soaking and you've been putting oil on the area, so yea it looks odd, but it's explainable by the oil/the water.

Are you sure the yellow is from the oil? There is a "Yellow fungus" that dragons can get that's deadly if not treated, but I'm not familiar enough with it to tell you if this is that or not.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    How often does she "soak"? Is it possible that the old patch of stuck skin is just retaining moisture from a soak, & thus feels "slimy" when the rest of her has dried?

I would not try to forcefully remove any stuck skin, btw- wait for it to come off on it's own. Is she eating okay? Where did you get the idea to use vitamin E oil on this?

Not saying that's right or wrong, by the way, just curious. I do know that it makes for "bad sheds" if one uses oils of any kind on a snake to "help" it shed...is it possible you used the oil in haste to facilitate the shed & the old skin has retained the oil & now feels slimy because it still hasn't come off?

I've only kept one bearded dragon, a rescue that never had an issue like this, so I don't know what to tell you, other than if this persists, a visit to a qualified herp vet is in order.

There is a limit to how much we can help you online with a medical issue, & that is as it should be. A vet should probably be diagnosing this- they have the training & lab capability.

This may help you find a vet, if you haven't already: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Hugsplox mentioned a possible fungal infection & I do recall reading something about that too, so maybe a vet visit is in order.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-19-2021 at 01:32 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-19-2021)

Thanks

Without soaking and oil it is a grey color. I also thought yellow fungus but i thought maybe it would’ve spread to the other parts of her lower body by now.

Thanks

She does not soak very often . I have been doing it once a day now for 2 days because of that little spot. I think the slimy concept does come from the usage of oil and water. I got the idea from some you tubers. She is eating okay ... she really eats when she wants and i think because she has been in the process of shedding she has lost some appetite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast