Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,033

2 members and 3,031 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Missing scales?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Missing scales?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueOrleans1290 View Post
    When you say heal, do you mean the scales coming back or..? I've never experienced this so I'm not sure what it should look like once healed
    When snakes heal, they do so by repeated sheds, but scales don't usually grow back- you'll usually see a scar (of smooth skin) where the wound was.

If this was a blister, that's something that burns may cause too, so double-check your temps. for safety, but burns are usually on the belly of a snake, unless there's overhead heat of some kind???
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-19-2021)

Thanks

What should I use as her substrate? She usually hangs out in the sand. I hardly see her on the aspen unless she's getting water. Should I be really concerned about this? I mean I am but should I be REALLY concerned?
    If you lost some skin, would YOU want to rub wood fibers or sand into it? Not good for healing, apt to cause infection.

Registered User BlueOrleans1290's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If you lost some skin, would YOU want to rub wood fibers or sand into it? Not good for healing, apt to cause infection.
    Oh nonono I didn't mean be concerned about the substrate, I'm taking that out for SURE, I meant about the infection in general..😅

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueOrleans1290 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2021)

Thanks

What should I use as her substrate?...
    see my post #17
    For the time being, plain white paper towels, & to give something to "hide" in, take a couple towels, layer them & tear into shreds- fluff the shreds (like a tossed salad) & let her have those to hide in, while you get to the bottom of whatever did this.

I sure wouldn't want this to spread.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-18-2021 at 09:11 PM.

Thanks

There is a CHE, but itson the aspen side and the highest I have it to go is 87 to keep ambient temps up on the cooler side
    Last edited by BlueOrleans1290; 02-18-2021 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks

see my post #17
    For the time being, plain white paper towels, & to give something to "hide" in, take a couple towels, layer them & tear into shreds- fluff the shreds (like a tossed salad) & let her have those to hide in, while you get to the bottom of whatever did this.

I sure wouldn't want this to spread.
    AGREED! I hope you know I'll do everything in my power to get to the bottom of this. I'll fix everything, and find out what did this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueOrleans1290 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2021)

Thanks
    One other thing- is there a screen/metal mesh top? Most ppl think sand boas don't climb, but I can remember a thread a long while back about one that kept doing just that, scraping against the screen top & falling. So if there's anything she can climb on, take it out. When snakes climb glass tanks, they jam themselves along the plastic molding at the top of the glass & against the screen to hold on. Check the upper edges for any rough or sharp spots & sand-file them down. Also, if there's any kind of a ledge there (like 1/4") fill it in with something...maybe glue some rope on it so she cannot get up there...that might be how she did this? (make sure that any glue you use is non-toxic to pets when dry- silicone aquarium sealant would work, but don't put in on thick or it will take a long time to dry)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-18-2021 at 10:56 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BlueOrleans1290 (02-18-2021),nikkubus (02-19-2021)

Thanks

One other thing- is there a screen/metal mesh top? Most ppl think sand boas don't climb, but I can remember a thread a long while back about one that kept doing just that, scraping against the screen top & falling. So if there's anything she can climb on, take it out. When snakes climb glass tanks, they jam themselves along the plastic molding at the top of the glass & against the screen to hold on. Check the upper edges for any rough or sharp spots & sand-file them down.
    Oh my goodness I never even thought of that! Thats horrifying to think she could have done that. Poor thing. Ill do that right away!

Thanks

Oh my goodness I never even thought of that! Thats horrifying to think she could have done that. Poor thing. Ill do that right away!
    And maybe she was right under the heat at the top, so double check those temps. I've personally seen snakes climb straight up glass tanks by pushing up off their tails as far as they can until they reach the top ledge with their chin, then pull them selves up ("chin-ups"!). Never underestimate a snake that's motivated to escape & go exploring.

BTW, don't feel bad that you didn't know & haven't seen this...snakes tend to do this "gymnastic" stuff at night, or when no one's around to watch.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-18-2021 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks

Oh nonono I didn't mean be concerned about the substrate, I'm taking that out for SURE, I meant about the infection in general..😅
    Well yeah, you don't want this to get infected. It doesn't appear to be right now, so that's good. But scales protect their body, just as the outer layers of our own skin protects us- when it's removed, there's a risk. I'm actually surprised that it doesn't look more "raw"- doesn't appear to have bled.

When I saw this thread title, I assumed "oh just a few scales gone". It's also a concern that you said there are more scales missing underneath that connects to this injury. I really suspect she's a "ledge-climber", as that fits with where her injuries are. Silly snakes... they do goofy things sometimes, even when they get hurt doing it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast