Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,967

1 members and 2,966 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Missing scales?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Wow, that's really strange. Appears to be missing scales- even with a difficult shed, a snake shouldn't lose scales like that. I would dab some Vetericyn antiseptic ointment (for reptile use) on that for a while, as it heals. Not sure you'll ever see those scales again though.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BlueOrleans1290 (02-18-2021)

Registered User BlueOrleans1290's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Missing scales?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Wow, that's really strange. Appears to be missing scales- even with a difficult shed, a snake shouldn't lose scales like that. I would dab some Vetericyn antiseptic ointment (for reptile use) on that for a while, as it heals. Not sure you'll ever see those scales again though.
    I really appreciate that, and I will do just that. I have NO idea how this happened and I feel terrible! Hopefully it wasn't anything I did and I hope it never happens again. Poor snake

Thanks
    Are there any areas of odd-looking scales anywhere else on the snake? Not missing scales like this, but just shriveled-looking, maybe a different texture?

What is this snake eating? Dumb question perhaps, but what substrate are you using? How often do you change it out completely?

Needless to say, if this seems to get worse (spreads or fails to heal) see a herp-qualified vet A.S.A.P. For help finding one: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-18-2021 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    That looks like a burn to me but it could be something else. I'd get her into the vet asap because whatever it is, it looks pretty serious.

I don't know enough about sand boas in particular, perhaps someone else could chime in, but should she have space between the scales like that or could that be from swelling?
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    That looks like a burn to me but it could be something else. I'd get her into the vet asap because whatever it is, it looks pretty serious.

I don't know enough about sand boas in particular, perhaps someone else could chime in, but should she have space between the scales like that or could that be from swelling?
    Ah yes, the space between the scales isn't actually there, that's just strong lighting mixed with a bad camera lol

Thanks

Are there any areas of odd-looking scales anywhere else on the snake? Not missing scales like this, but just shriveled-looking, maybe a different texture?

What is this snake eating? Dumb question perhaps, but what substrate are you using? How often do you change it out completely?

Needless to say, if this seems to get worse (spreads or fails to heal) see a herp-qualified vet A.S.A.P. For help finding one: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    Not that I know of, the rest of her scales look fine. There were a few when I first got her from the breeder but they have dissapeared. She is eating F/T pinkies, at about 89 degrees thawed. Could that be too hot-? I feed her one. Once a week, but really about a week and 2 days because that's when she wants to eat again. I'm using aspen in 3/4ths of the cage, its a thinner kind so she can burrow without it bothering and it will hold her tunnels. On the other spot I have extremely fine sand that was apparently recommended by my breeder and a vet, so far the only problem is that it dyes everything orange. I change the entire cage out once a month. But I spot clean it regularly.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueOrleans1290 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2021)

Thanks
    I'm wondering if she had some sort of infection there...maybe a low blister that allowed this skin to come off with the shed. But that's a pretty big patch to leave open to further infection, so as I said, "wound care" (antiseptic) asap. Wouldn't hurt to see a vet, I agree- in which case, all our questions are "good practice" for what they'll be asking you. I guarantee she wasn't bitten by a f/t pinkie.

Your sand has dyes added? I'd avoid that, just in case. Nothing but "natural". And she might "like" to burrow in aspen, but get it out of there now- she shouldn't be rubbing aspen into this open wound. Probably not sand either, but ask the vet when you call. Usually snakes with wounds are kept on clean white paper towels while healing for best results.

FYI, something I have seen in the past are shriveled- oddly textured scales caused by a fungal infection of the skin. Never seen it cause this, but might be possible? To clear it, you'd need the right topical medication IF that's what it is from, & you don't want to "guess". You really should get to the bottom of whatever this is.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-18-2021 at 09:07 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-18-2021)

Thanks

When you say heal, do you mean the scales coming back or..? I've never experienced this so I'm not sure what it should look like once healed

Thanks

I'm wondering if she had some sort of infection there...maybe a low blister that allowed this skin to come off with the shed. But that's a pretty big patch to leave open to further infection, so as I said, "wound care" (antiseptic) asap. Wouldn't hurt to see a vet, I agree.
    Oh no, an infection? That's horrible. She has another patch connected to that one on her belly scales.. but thats it. Ill definitely keep watch very closely. I'll try everything I can to avoid this again.

Thanks

I'm wondering if she had some sort of infection there...maybe a low blister that allowed this skin to come off with the shed. But that's a pretty big patch to leave open to further infection, so as I said, "wound care" (antiseptic) asap. Wouldn't hurt to see a vet, I agree- in which case, all our questions are "good practice" for what they'll be asking you. I guarantee she wasn't bitten by a f/t pinkie.

Your sand has dyes added? I'd avoid that, just in case. Nothing but "natural". And she might "like" to burrow in aspen, but get it out of there now- she shouldn't be rubbing aspen into this open wound. Probably not sand either, but ask the vet when you call. Usually snakes with wounds are kept on clean white paper towels while healing for best results.

FYI, something I have seen in the past are shriveled- oddly textured scales caused by a fungal infection of the skin. Never seen it cause this, but might be possible? To clear it, you'll need the right topical medication, so it would be preferable to not "guess" & really get to the bottom of whatever this is.
    What should I use as her substrate? She usually hangs out in the sand. I hardly see her on the aspen unless she's getting water. Should I be really concerned about this? I mean I am but should I be REALLY concerned?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast