Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,152

2 members and 3,150 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Tips on keeping humidity up?

Heya, Recently ive managed to get My bps' tank temps up to the right temps by getting a CHE. But now im having trouble keeping her humidity up. While her humidity used to sit at a steady 70ish% it now drops seemingly minutes after I mist it to around 42%.

I don't want her to get a RI, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to keep humidity up while having an over-tank heating element.

Here's some of her husbandry:

4x2x16in PVC w screen top tank (ZenHabitats)
    large water dish
    Reptichip substrate, I used to use Ecoearth but that always got really dusty quite quickly so I switched her over to Reptichip.
    small fountain in the corner to provide extra humidity.

heating elements: UTH on hot side, set with a thermostat to stay at around 90(F), CHE on colder side to keep her ambient temperatures up, also controlled by a thermostat, usually stays around 84(F). It gets really cold where I am and without it her ambient temps would be in the mid to low 60s.

Thank you for the help!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    When using a screen top, most find it necessary to cover most of the screen (not where the CHE is, obviously) to reduce the air flow- a CHE does tend to dry out the air. While many prefer the PVC enclosures for maintaining humidity, the reason they work well is because of the limited air flow- the vents are very small. You can use a piece of plexiglass or even foil over much of the screen to reduce the air-flow- anything that air cannot pass thru will work.

Misting isn't as effective for humidity as you might expect. You could also offer a humid hide, in addition to the normal (cool & warm side) hides.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-18-2021 at 02:10 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-18-2021),nikkubus (02-18-2021),Niveis Frigoro (02-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I'd get the cool side down to 80F or lower in addition to fixing the top so that most of it is covered. That should do the trick. Make sure you are adding water to your Reptichip as it dries out. You should be able to tell by the color if it needs more water.

CHE on the cool side doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, I'd have it about 1/3 from the hot side, with the correct amount of the screen covered, you shouldn't have it dip below 75F on the cool side while still having a reasonable temp on the hot side, even if it means your UTH doesn't have to kick on as often.
    Last edited by nikkubus; 02-18-2021 at 03:13 AM.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2021),Hugsplox (02-18-2021),Niveis Frigoro (02-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Tips on keeping humidity up?

Quote Originally Posted by Niveis Frigoro View Post
    4x2x16in PVC w screen top tank (ZenHabitats)
    large water dish
    Reptichip substrate, I used to use Ecoearth but that always got really dusty quite quickly so I switched her over to Reptichip.
    small fountain in the corner to provide extra humidity.

heating elements: UTH on hot side, set with a thermostat to stay at around 90(F), CHE on colder side to keep her ambient temperatures up, also controlled by a thermostat, usually stays around 84(F). It gets really cold where I am and without it her ambient temps would be in the mid to low 60s.

Thank you for the help!
    I can't for the life of me understand why Zen made a PVC enclosure with a full screen top. I have a zen enclosure for my bearded dragon and it's fantastic, but when Zen came out with the PVC version they said it was specifically for higher humidity animals, then put that 4 foot screen top on it lol. Makes no sense to me but that's not what we're here to talk about.

I agree with everyone else, get you some aluminum foil and duct tape, and cover up the bulk of the top. You want to make sure that you have good circulation in there but that huge screen lid isn't doing you any good holding anything in. I get the need to have the CHE on the cool side but I agree with Nikkubus I think you need to move that down closer to the warm side.

Also I don't know if anyone's suggested a proportional thermostat to you yet, but I would look into them. With an on/off I've found that I can maintain temps with the CHE but because it gets so hot and then turns off, and then takes forever to heat back up, and on and on all day it dries my enclosures out. Once I switched to a herpstat (not suggesting you have to buy this brand just what I have) it fixed this issue.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-18-2021 at 05:29 PM. Reason: fixed typo for clarity w/ approval by Hugsplox

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2021),nikkubus (02-18-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    I can't for the life of me understand why Zen made a PVC enclosure with a full screen top.
    The website says they include an acrylic panel to limit the airflow, but even still, I'd have the top closed entirely and side vents if it were up to me because those make a lot more sense for maintaining temps and humidity :/ though it makes perfect sense for a desert species that needs it nice and dry and really needs those hot basking bulbs.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2021),Hugsplox (02-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    The website says they include an acrylic panel to limit the airflow, but even still, I'd have the top closed entirely and side vents if it were up to me because those make a lot more sense for maintaining temps and humidity :/ though it makes perfect sense for a desert species that needs it nice and dry and really needs those hot basking bulbs.
    Yea they work great for the dragon that needs that hot basking spot, plus the way the tops are made I can hang UVB tubes in there and it all works great, I just don't get the design of the PVC one. I knew about the acrylic panel, but I'm with you I'd rather have a solid top that I could put a RHP in or something and have the sides vented.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    From a heating standpoint a plexiglass top would make more sense than acrylic. IR penetrates through plexi a lot better than acrylic so you can use a CHE or DHP with plexiglass.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-06-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    From a heating standpoint a plexiglass top would make more sense than acrylic. IR penetrates through plexi a lot better than acrylic so you can use a CHE or DHP with plexiglass.
    Wait a min, I thought plexiglass was acrylic? What is it made of?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    Wait a min, I thought plexiglass was acrylic? What is it made of?
    According to "Dr. Google"-
    What does plexiglass mean?

Plexiglas is a plastic material made from polymers of methyl methacrylate, an ester of methacrylic acid. ... However, its original and most famous trade name is Plexiglas. As we said, Plexiglas is a great alternative to glass. That's why it's also known as acrylic glass and is one of the most widely used plastic materials.Mar 3, 2018

& Wiki:
    Poly(methyl methacrylate)

Chemical compound

Description

Description

Poly(methyl methacrylate), also known as acrylic, acrylic glass, or plexiglass, as well as by the trade names Crylux, Plexiglas, Acrylite, Astariglas, Lucite, Perclax, and Perspex, among several others, is a transparent thermoplastic often used in sheet form as a lightweight or shatter-resistant alternative to glass. Wikipedia

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    They are close but not identical.
    http://www.missouriglass.com/blog/pl...he-difference/

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2021),Hugsplox (02-19-2021),nikkubus (02-18-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast