Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,418

3 members and 3,415 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Tips on keeping humidity up?

I had the same problem with a fish tank with a screen lid. I covered the whole thing with thick aluminum foil leaving only enough uncovered for the overhead heater , moved the overhead heat near my hot side of the tank and placed the water bowl..which larger the better for humidity under the heat lamp. Also i use coco chip substrate which holds humidity really well. I make sure the coco chip is damp, not wet cause then you run the risk of getting scale rot if they are laying on wet substrate. In extreme cases, which i had to do because my tank was over 60 gallons, i got a reptile warm mist humidifier and that kept humidity around 60% most of the time. Cool mist works well too. Good luck...glass tanks suck but are doable lol

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

With the exception of a very few snakes, like BRBs and maybe GTPs, ambient humidity levels are perfectly fine for most snakes as long as they’re properly hydrated and have access to fresh water. My current humidity is about 35%. Three of my snakes, an olive python, scrub python, and a bullsnake have all had perfect sheds in the last 2 weeks. My humidity typically ranges from 35-65% depending on the season. My snakes have never had RIs or bad sheds. I use Reptichip as well and if I see one of the snakes prepping to shed I might dump a cup or two of water into the substrate and mix it around the enclosure floor. That’ll hold the humidity longer than if you’re just misting the enclosure. Other than that I normally don’t concern myself with humidity at all.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 03-06-2021 at 12:18 AM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    With the exception of a very few snakes, like BRBs and maybe GTPs, ambient humidity levels are perfectly fine for most snakes as long as they’re properly hydrated and have access to fresh water. My current humidity is about 35%. Three of my snakes, an olive python, scrub python, and a bullsnake have all had perfect sheds in the last 2 weeks. My humidity typically ranges from 35-65% depending on the season. My snakes have never had RIs or bad sheds. I use Reptichip as well and if I see one of the snakes prepping to shed I might dump a cup or two of water into the substrate and mix it around the enclosure floor. That’ll hold the humidity longer than if you’re just misting the enclosure. Other than that I normally don’t concern myself with humidity at all.
    Don't forget though, your state (GA) is a lot more humid that Nevada. Even assuming that your HVAC system takes a lot out.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Don't forget though, your state (GA) is a lot more humid that Nevada. Even assuming that your HVAC system takes a lot out.
    I agree with making adjustments for climates if necessary. When it comes to humidity though, I just don’t think it’s much of a big deal at all for most snakes. IMO it’s one of the most overblown/misunderstood issues in the hobby. I think a lot of people interchange/confuse humidity with hydration when hydration is far more important. The OP said their ambient humidity was around 40% before misting. I believe most snake species can thrive in those conditions. If folks choose to bump up their humidity from time to time, especially during a shed, that’s perfectly fine but I wouldn’t say it’s necessary. If it gets really dry for an extended time just pour some water in the substrate and keep it moving. My humidity gauges are currently reading 25-45% and for me it’s nothing to worry about. I totally respect if others place more emphasis and importance on the subject though.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12