Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,778

0 members and 2,778 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: Black tail?

Thanks

Black tail?

Hey all! I'm relatively new to reptile keeping and my first BEL Ball python has had this blackened tail for the past 3 sheds (shes in her third now) I thought it might go away after the first and when it didn't I was hopeful for the second. When that didn't happen, on her third now im helping her with the shed by giving her warm baths (she hates swimming) but when the tail shed came off it broke off right at the beginning of the blackend area. Is there anything I can do at home to help her or is it out of my league? btw shes normally a bright white, she appears yellow now due to being in shed.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Black tail?

The shed broke off or the tail tip or both? If the tail itself is what you are saying, then that is a dead and now no longer existent part of your animal’s tail. Stuck shed on tail tips can constrict the blood flow over time and cause it to die as you have now learned first hand. Every time the animal sheds, every single piece of that shed needs to come off from nose to tail tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 02-16-2021 at 10:59 AM.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

ANewHopeIsHere (02-16-2021),ballpythonluvr (02-16-2021),Bogertophis (02-16-2021),Hugsplox (02-16-2021),nikkubus (02-16-2021),Reinz (02-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Black tail?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    The shed broke off or the tail tip or both? If the tail itself is what you are saying, then that is a dead and now no longer existent part of your animal’s tail. Stuck shed on tail tips can constrict the blood flow over time and cause it to die as you have now learned first hand. Every time the animal sheds, every single piece of that shed needs to come off from nose to tail tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea I'm with crook on this one, I think the end of her tail is done. I would get her in to see the vet as that probably needs to be removed. I have no experience with this in snakes but have seen people not take care of this with bearded dragons and it caused an infection that ended up killing the animal.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (02-16-2021),Bogertophis (02-16-2021),nikkubus (02-16-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I agree with both posts above by jmcrook & Hugsplox- even a tiny bit of shed left on a tail tip causes just enough constriction to cut off the already-minimal blood supply- the tail tip dies & comes off. Yes, see the vet to make sure that further necrosis doesn't occur.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (02-16-2021),nikkubus (02-16-2021)

Thanks

Re: Black tail?

Alright guys, I came on here hoping it wasn't that but thank you for the confirmation. I guess a vet could answer me this next question but since you all will be quicker to respond than my next appointment... Does having that portion of the tail removed affect her negatively in any significant way? I feel really bad that I essentially caused her to lose a part of her tail... as I said shes my first reptile and while it is a learning experience it hurts to know shes paying for my mistakes. I thought waiting for the next shed was the best course of action but I see now that was not so. as for crooks first question, the tip of the tail is still there I tried soaking the end in warm water and removing the shed but it literally feels rock hard and i didnt want to pull on it and hurt her accidentally. so the tip is still attached. Hopefully she doesnt lose too much of her tail when i get to the vet. One final question, this wont affect her growth much or at all right? shes only going to be 8 months on the 22nd so she does have a lot more growing to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    The good news is that, barring any infection from this, she won't miss her tail tip. It certainly won't affect her growth. But for health reasons, a bit of her tail tip might best be surgically amputated, so please do see a qualified reptile vet. One of my adult rat snakes had an accident some years back & her tail tip was damaged- my vet did a surgical amputation & she's been fine ever since- a little less tail to hang onto things with, but that's all. And now you know, don't listen to those who say "just wait for the next shed for the remaining stuff to come off"- that's bad advice. All sheds need to be complete, & always check eye-caps & tail tips. Sad to learn this on a BEL where it will always show up & remind you. Meanwhile, don't pull on what's left of her tail tip, let the vet take care of it.

And in case you need it: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

BTW, when I saw the thread title, I was hoping it was all about a new morph...glad I checked.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-16-2021 at 02:05 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ANewHopeIsHere (02-16-2021),ballpythonluvr (02-16-2021),Hugsplox (02-16-2021),nikkubus (02-16-2021)