Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 867

0 members and 867 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Help! Is chronic prolapse a good reason to euthanize?

I purchased my baby bp, Ziti, from petco 5 months ago (I know that was my first mistake) and after 4 days of having her she prolapsed. At that point I took her back to petco because they were willing to give her free vet care since I had just purchased her. They concluded that the reason for the prolapse was dehydration so after she came back from the two weeks of antibiotics I made sure to keep her hydrated and stress free. From that point on, I have kept her humidity at 50-60% and I have injected each meal with warm water to ensure she was getting water intake. I also made sure to clutter her enclosure with plenty of hiding spaces so she could feel secure and stress free.
    Unfortunately though, despite my best efforts she has been regularly prolapsing each time she poops. I've been able to reset it by reducing swelling with sugar paste and massaging it back into place but since this is a reoccurring issue I decided to bring her back into the vet. What they told me was that if the issue is found to not be caused by parasites we would have to have a discussion about her quality of life.
    I'm hoping for multiple opinions before I decide to put down my otherwise seemingly healthy little noodle. I love and care about her so much I just want whats best for her.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Help! Is chronic prolapse a good reason to euthanize?

First off, welcome to the forums. I hate that this has to be the topic of your first post, but I hope that you stick around even after this situation is resolved.

If this continues being an issue, and the vet really wants to have the quality of life conversation I would have it. Ask him/her to educate you on what kind of issues your BP is going to have and what ALL your options are. Sometimes I think vets suggest euthanizing because there's a concern that the owner won't want to pay what it'll cost to treat, so make sure you ask what all the options are. At the end of the day, no one wants to euthanize a pet, its sad regardless of the type of animal. I very rarely have to, but have had to euthanize tropical fish for one reason or another, and even something as small as that hurts my heart to see it go.

Sometimes, euthanizing is the best option, but again I would want to know what every options is outside of that. Once you've reviewed all your options with the vet, then unfortunately it's up to you to make that choice. Put the needs of your pet first, and even if it's not the choice you want to make, make the call that's best for Ziti.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-16-2021),GoingPostal (02-16-2021),meganp (02-16-2021),nikkubus (02-16-2021),Trinityblood (02-16-2021)

Thanks

Hey, thank you for your input. Im currently trying to get in contact with a different vet because the petco vet doesn't even want to discuss other options with me and im not willing to euthanize until I know thats the only option for her. But of course if the vet says the same i will do what is best for her comfort and well being.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meganp For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (01-31-2022),Bogertophis (02-16-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I agree with Hugsplox's response above. I think I recall someone here whose vet told them it can also be a genetic flaw causing this, but the other things mentioned are factors (dehydration from mites &/or poor hydration from improper care- pet stores are known for keeping BPs on the wrong substrates & not supplying proper humidity).

Another option would be surgical repair, but considering the pain & suffering involved, euthanasia might be the kinder option, because the G.I. tract is pretty essential to life- even though BPs can go a long time without eating, they still need to pass urates, so try to imagine? If excretion is painful & difficult, constipation is likely to recur- constipation makes another prolapse far more likely.

I am NOT a vet, just a long-time snake lover & keeper, so don't take mine as the last word either. With surgery, there is also the need for antibiotics & pain medication (you'd probably have to learn to give injections at home) & the antibiotics themselves are rough on a snake's body. It's far easier to keep a snake healthy than to get them well again.

I have no idea where you are, but in most areas, you'll have enough trouble finding a qualified herp vet, much less one with enough experience for such a surgery. This site may help you locate one: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

And yes, welcome- sorry it's not under happier circumstances. You're a caring owner, sorry you're off to such a rough start keeping snakes. It might help you to know that my second snake, many years ago, was a corn snake that came from a pet store also, & I couldn't save her either, but I tried. (Not the same issue, btw.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-16-2021 at 12:56 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (01-31-2022),Hugsplox (02-16-2021),meganp (02-16-2021),nikkubus (02-16-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    If the Petco vet hasn't even considered surgical repair, you need another opinion. It's a pretty minor surgery with a decent success rate, but there is no guarantee of success of course. And the more frequently this little one prolapses in the meantime, the less likely surgical repair is to be effective.

Please do use the ARAV link above to see if there is a reptile veterinarian in your area. Even if there is not, you can try to set up a telephone consult with one (just offer to pay for it like a regular appointment).
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (01-31-2022),bcr229 (02-16-2021),Bogertophis (02-16-2021),Hugsplox (02-16-2021),meganp (02-16-2021),nikkubus (02-16-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    If the Petco vet hasn't even considered surgical repair, you need another opinion. It's a pretty minor surgery with a decent success rate, but there is no guarantee of success of course. And the more frequently this little one prolapses in the meantime, the less likely surgical repair is to be effective.

Please do use the ARAV link above to see if there is a reptile veterinarian in your area. Even if there is not, you can try to set up a telephone consult with one (just offer to pay for it like a regular appointment).
    I'm glad to know that (at least in some areas?) they're "gaining" on this issue. As you said though, not a guarantee.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

meganp (02-16-2021)

Thanks

I want to talk more about the option of a Cloacopexy surgery, but your'e right, it's extremely difficult to find an experienced vet that I can even talk to about this let alone have preform the procedure. Ive been contacting as many experts and vets as I can just to see what they say before moving forward. It's quite frustrating. I really don't want to give up on her that easily. I have also put in multiple requests for telephone consults but have heard nothing back yet.
    Last edited by meganp; 02-16-2021 at 01:10 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meganp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-16-2021),Hugsplox (02-16-2021)

Thanks
    It doesn't help that (depending on where you are) winter weather & pandemic issues make everything just that much harder to accomplish. Please stay safe, & I sure wish you luck with this. Your heart's in the right place.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-16-2021),meganp (02-16-2021),nikkubus (02-16-2021)

Thanks

Thank you so much!

Im going to try setting her up in a storage bin with paper towels for bedding in the meantime so I can more easily monitor her prolapses and keep it clean.
    Last edited by meganp; 02-16-2021 at 01:43 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to meganp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-16-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meganp View Post
    I want to talk more about the option of a Cloacopexy surgery, but your'e right, it's extremely difficult to find an experienced vet that I can even talk to about this let alone have preform the procedure. Ive been contacting as many experts and vets as I can just to see what they say before moving forward. It's quite frustrating. I really don't want to give up on her that easily. I have also put in multiple requests for telephone consults but have heard nothing back yet.
    Yea it can be incredibly hard to find someone who specializes in reptiles. Even though the hobby is huge (in my opinion) now, I think the further you get from the big cities the harder it is to find someone that can take care of your pet.

I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear, but it may be worth considering a different pet. I only say that because this is what I would consider an emergency situation, and I would hate for you to have to euthanize Ziti, get another BP, and then have another emergency, only for that to be your only option again because there's no vets anywhere near you that are capable of doing anything else.

That's just my opinion though and I don't want to cause you more stress during an already stressful time. Just something to think about.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-16-2021),nikkubus (02-16-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast