Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,369

1 members and 3,368 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Re: Help! Is chronic prolapse a good reason to euthanize?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Yea it can be incredibly hard to find someone who specializes in reptiles. Even though the hobby is huge (in my opinion) now, I think the further you get from the big cities the harder it is to find someone that can take care of your pet.

I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear, but it may be worth considering a different pet. I only say that because this is what I would consider an emergency situation, and I would hate for you to have to euthanize Ziti, get another BP, and then have another emergency, only for that to be your only option again because there's no vets anywhere near you that are capable of doing anything else.

That's just my opinion though and I don't want to cause you more stress during an already stressful time. Just something to think about.
    I think this is a bit of a double edged sword. If everyone who ran into this issue gave up on reptiles entirely, we wouldn't have quality reptile vets at all because there just wouldn't have been enough momentum of demand for it to get where it is today. I think it comes down to each individual's decision of whether or not they want to take the risk and deal with the heartbreak when complicated situations arise that are beyond the scope of the vets in the area. Certainly the need for surgeries for non-breeding animals aren't commonplace in BP's, but it does happen. As much as I wish for every animal to have top care and the best technology available to their owners, the technology only continues to improve with the demand, which requires that some people brave things as they are while progress is being made. I'm not suggesting we just act carelessly and try to keep animals way past our means, but as someone who got in a long time ago and lived through a lot of the stage of toughing it out without quality reptile vets available anywhere, I see the merit it being willing to push the envelope a little. Just my 2c, and I certainly respect where you are coming from.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-16-2021),Hugsplox (02-16-2021),meganp (02-17-2021)