Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,124

1 members and 3,123 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Blizzard approaching, what to do if power goes out?

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    This was ran by toddlers. I thought most places think worst case scenario when doing planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, unfortunately most businesses think about how much money they can put in their pockets & those of their stockholders, & what they can get by with, versus planning for worst-case scenarios, especially when mitigation is expensive.

And unfortunately, it's easier to deny climate change than it is to live with it & to prepare for it. The climate scientists have been predicting more extreme weather events, & so far, that's exactly what we're seeing. Time to re-think the bad practice of putting profits ahead of cautious preparations.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-16-2021 at 05:02 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (02-17-2021),WrongPython (02-16-2021)

Thanks

And to make matters worst, my dishwasher just committed suicide and water all throughout my kitchen and formal dining.

That truly stinks! Some days we're the "pigeon" & some days we're the "statue"...

I had a dishwasher do that to me some years ago. (I was told that the seals go bad if you don't use them often.)

I've never liked them much anyway, so the one I have now is just a dish-drying rack for my hand-washed dishes.

This too shall pass...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-16-2021 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    No, unfortunately most businesses think about how much money they can put in their pockets & those of their stockholders, & what they can get by with, versus planning for worst-case scenarios, especially when mitigation is expensive.

And unfortunately, it's easier to deny climate change than it is to live with it & to prepare for it. The climate scientists have been predicting more extreme weather events, & so far, that's exactly what we're seeing. Time to re-think the bad practice of putting profits ahead of cautious preparations.
    You mean they "predicted" something that's, always existed. If there's one thing I've learned from living where I am my whole life, weather and the environment is ALWAYS changing, that's how it's been for eons and how it will continue to be for eons to come regardless of what we do.

Am I denying that poor planning, greed and irresponsible practices have been causing problems such as what we're seeing right now? Of course not. But this narrative of constant blame of man for phenomenon that has been ongoing well before we had even a modicum of influence has been getting beyond irritating. Just look at the Sahara. Barely even a few thousand years ago it was a lush paradise rich with life, and yet it became an oversized sandbox on its own well before humanity had even remotely reached to potential to affect anything on an environmental scale.

In the end, let's be responsible, but at the same time let's not automatically assume something happening is directly our fault. Scientists can screech all they want about how awful we are, but in this day and age it'd be wise to remember that they have their own masters to answer to...

Sorry, just, felt the need to soapbox for a moment. Don't normally speak my mind like this.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Kam (02-16-2021),nikkubus (02-16-2021),Trinityblood (02-16-2021)

Thanks

And to make matters worst, my dishwasher just committed suicide and water all throughout my kitchen and formal dining.

Have you checked the rubber seems on the inside edges? I had one start spilling water and it was because one of the strips became dislodged. I just pushed it back onto the track and it stopped leaking.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-16-2021),Kam (02-16-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 877 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    Have you checked the rubber seems on the inside edges? I had one start spilling water and it was because one of the strips became dislodged. I just pushed it back onto the track and it stopped leaking.
    It is my entire street. Chain reaction. My neighbors pipes bursted. They it of their water next thing you know me and several other house are flooded out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    You mean they "predicted" something that's, always existed. If there's one thing I've learned from living where I am my whole life, weather and the environment is ALWAYS changing, that's how it's been for eons and how it will continue to be for eons to come regardless of what we do.

Am I denying that poor planning, greed and irresponsible practices have been causing problems such as what we're seeing right now? Of course not. But this narrative of constant blame of man for phenomenon that has been ongoing well before we had even a modicum of influence has been getting beyond irritating. Just look at the Sahara. Barely even a few thousand years ago it was a lush paradise rich with life, and yet it became an oversized sandbox on its own well before humanity had even remotely reached to potential to affect anything on an environmental scale.

In the end, let's be responsible, but at the same time let's not automatically assume something happening is directly our fault. Scientists can screech all they want about how awful we are, but in this day and age it'd be wise to remember that they have their own masters to answer to...

Sorry, just, felt the need to soapbox for a moment. Don't normally speak my mind like this.
    What gets me, is that it's kindergarten tier science that plants breathe CO2 and spit out O2, yet almost none of the regulation wants to push anything to do with stopping deforestation and incentivizing planting of plants. Instead let's try to convince humans to be herbivores because cow farts are going to end the world.

Either way, change is happening, and we humans need to get it together and come up with a plan how we are going to survive as long as possible. It's only going to get worse. We need better energy infrastructure that can withstand extremes or we need to harden up and learn to survive without it like we used to.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-16-2021)

Thanks

It is my entire street. Chain reaction. My neighbors pipes bursted. They it of their water next thing you know me and several other house are flooded out.

I've never heard of that happening, that's awful!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've never heard of that happening, that's awful!
    It had been a doosey. Bit you know what? I am alive and I thankful for every experience. Everything can be replaced except my life. So thank GOD for sparing me as soon many others at this time.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kam For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-16-2021),WrongPython (02-16-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    1979, 1989, 2011, 2021 - years TX has experienced single-digit temps. Compare it to a CAT 5 hurricane hitting Florida or a flood in a ten year flood zone - it might not happen this year, but it's going to happen eventually.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-16-2021),GoingPostal (02-17-2021),Kam (02-16-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    1979, 1989, 2011, 2021 - years TX has experienced single-digit temps. Compare it to a CAT 5 hurricane hitting Florida or a flood in a ten year flood zone - it might not happen this year, but it's going to happen eventually.
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast