Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 154

6 members and 148 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 70,680
Threads: 244,756
Posts: 2,537,638
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Goodnight.june
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 93
  1. #41
    BPnet Senior Member Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2014
    Location
    Far North Dallas, Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks
    3,961
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 686 Posts

    Re: Blizzard approaching, what to do if power goes out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You're almost there...sending warm thoughts -as I wonder when or if our turn will come? It's not supposed to be THIS cold in the south. Like we needed half the country to fall into the deep freeze while everyone's battling COVID too, & trying to get vaccines done.
    Better yet why is half the city in the dark whilst downtown looks like Christmas?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #42
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,056
    Thanks
    19,741
    Thanked 12,035 Times in 7,580 Posts

    Re: Blizzard approaching, what to do if power goes out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    Better yet why is half the city in the dark whilst downtown looks like Christmas?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That stinks! Very good question- but sometimes restoring power depends on factors not obvious to those waiting. I don't know how much of an issue ice is there, but when I went thru a severe ice storm years back, restorations were faster when they didn't have to clear trees to get to lines that were down. (Big selling point for underground utilities.) This is a whole different kind of outage, & I don't know enough about the power grid to speculate what's going on there, but from what they've said so far, it doesn't make any sense.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-16-2021 at 12:18 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    Kam (02-16-2021)

  4. #43
    BPnet Senior Member Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2014
    Location
    Far North Dallas, Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks
    3,961
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 686 Posts

    Re: Blizzard approaching, what to do if power goes out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That stinks! Very good question- but sometimes restoring power depends on factors not obvious to those waiting. I don't know how much of an issue ice is there, but when I went thru a severe ice storm years back, restorations were faster when they didn't have to clear trees to get to lines that were down. (Big selling point for underground utilities.) This is a whole different kind of outage, & I don't know enough about the power grid to speculate what's going on there, but from what they've said so far, it doesn't make any sense.
    There isnít a legit explanation to know of this. I have a friend who lives close to the airport he didnít loose power? Why because he is on the airport grid. Which directly around the corner from me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #44
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,056
    Thanks
    19,741
    Thanked 12,035 Times in 7,580 Posts

    Re: Blizzard approaching, what to do if power goes out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    There isnít a legit explanation to know of this. I have a friend who lives close to the airport he didnít loose power? Why because he is on the airport grid. Which directly around the corner from me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Has their power been on all evening? Maybe they're just restoring part to test before going all the way on & risking a crash? I dunno, just guessing. Miserable to be waiting & seeing power on elsewhere though. Is the airport open & functioning at all?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  6. #45
    BPnet Senior Member Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2014
    Location
    Far North Dallas, Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks
    3,961
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 686 Posts

    Re: Blizzard approaching, what to do if power goes out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Has their power been on all evening? Maybe they're just restoring part to test before going all the way on & risking a crash? I dunno, just guessing. Miserable to be waiting & seeing power on elsewhere though. Is the airport open & functioning at all?
    We had power for two hours. The I havenít heard any planes since Friday. It is the same with people who live by hospitals as well. Iím finally crawling in bed. Still now power.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #46
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,056
    Thanks
    19,741
    Thanked 12,035 Times in 7,580 Posts
    So sorry...hang in there. I hate waiting for power to come back on- it's the worst.

    Wish I'd thought to buy a house near the hospital...but with my luck, I'd be on the wrong side of the street anyway.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  8. #47
    BPnet Senior Member Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2014
    Location
    Far North Dallas, Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks
    3,961
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 686 Posts

    Re: Blizzard approaching, what to do if power goes out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    So sorry...hang in there. I hate waiting for power to come back on- it's the worst.

    Wish I'd thought to buy a house near the hospital...but with my luck, I'd be on the wrong side of the street anyway.
    You and me both.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #48
    Registered User wnateg's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-25-2019
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    826
    Thanks
    654
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 462 Posts
    I’m in Austin, TX. Power went out for the first time yesterday at 2 am. I got a text saying they were doing planned outages that would last an hour. Went to bed. When I woke up at 8 am, the power was out, but it wasn’t cold in my house. Power came back on around noon for 30 minutes. Decided I wouldn’t move my animals unless it didn’t come back on before I went to bed. Luckily it came on at 7 pm until it just shut off now.

    Without power for about 7 hours at the worst, and the house didn’t drop below 60-65, enclosures didn’t drop below 70-75. Luckily, I have a gas stove, in case I need to boil water. But with my animals being in a segregated room that has held temp pretty well, I’m probably not going to move them unless power doesn’t come back on for 12+ hours, I’m hoping.

    edit: powers back!
    Last edited by wnateg; 02-16-2021 at 01:59 AM.
    Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

    0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (02-16-2021),Kam (02-16-2021)

  11. #49
    BPnet Senior Member Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2014
    Location
    Far North Dallas, Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks
    3,961
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 686 Posts

    Re: Blizzard approaching, what to do if power goes out?

    Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    Iím in Austin, TX. Power went out for the first time yesterday at 2 am. I got a text saying they were doing planned outages that would last an hour. Went to bed. When I woke up at 8 am, the power was out, but it wasnít cold in my house. Power came back on around noon for 30 minutes. Decided I wouldnít move my animals unless it didnít come back on before I went to bed. Luckily it came on at 7 pm until it just shut off now.

    Without power for about 7 hours at the worst, and the house didnít drop below 60-65, enclosures didnít drop below 70-75. Luckily, I have a gas stove, in case I need to boil water. But with my animals being in a segregated room that has held temp pretty well, Iím probably not going to move them unless power doesnít come back on for 12+ hours, Iím hoping.

    edit: powers back!
    I still have no power here Dallas.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #50
    BPnet Senior Member Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2014
    Location
    Far North Dallas, Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks
    3,961
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 686 Posts

    Re: Blizzard approaching, what to do if power goes out?

    Finally we have power. Now for how long? I donít know. However I will thaw out and check on the rest of the house.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kam For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (02-16-2021)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1