Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,730

0 members and 2,730 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

I'm having temp problems and need advice

Hi all, I've been researching on ball python husbandry for a while now and I believe I am ready to get one. So I got all that I needed for a terrarium and set it all up as it should be. I have the thermostat probes inside the hot and cold hides and it keeps those at the right temps. But outside of the hides the thermometers always say it's too cold. So I have a heater in the room and I turn it on to make the room 70°F and the thermometers show it being in the 80° range on both sides. What can I do to make the temps normal? I have two heat lamps on either side with 100 watt ceramic heat emitters and a heat mat on the hot side. If I'm doing anything wrong please let me know. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Jakob_Ansel; 02-14-2021 at 06:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    So, in your research what web site informed you that putting the thermostat probes in the enclosure under the hides was appropriate? Please tell me so I can go correct the web site owner.

The thermostat probe for the heat mat goes under the terrarium, sandwiched between the heat mat and the underside of the terrarium floor. Set the thermostat for the heat mat so the enclosure floor surface temp reads about 90*F as measured with a temp gun or infrared point thermometer.

Ditch the overhead heat and warm the room to 76-78*F. Two 100W CHE's will turn that into a desert environment in hours; a ball python needs to be humid. Cover the top of the terrarium with foil to keep humidity inside.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (02-15-2021),Bogertophis (02-14-2021),Jakob_Ansel (02-18-2021),jmcrook (02-14-2021),nikkubus (02-14-2021),Toad37 (02-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: I'm having temp problems and need advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-14-2021),nikkubus (02-14-2021),Toad37 (02-14-2021)

Thanks

I've seen both opinions of where the probe should go on several different sights and I just decided to go with this one. But I will try that one and see how it does. Thank you. Also the tank is a 20 gallon long, does that change anything? Should I put the UTH closer to the middle but not directly so the heat can reach both sides?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob_Ansel View Post
    ...Also the tank is a 20 gallon long, does that change anything? Should I put the UTH closer to the middle but not directly so the heat can reach both sides?
    You always need to leave an unheated area for safety & for proper thermoregulation by your snake, so usually the UTH is at "one end", but in a chilly room, it might help a little if it was closer to, but not at, the middle. Also, I would suggest insulating the back & sides of the tank, also the lower part of the front, & part of the bottom except for under & near the UTH; insulation will help keep the heat in, but it's still going to be hard (if not impossible) to overcome a room that's too cold.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jakob_Ansel (02-14-2021),nikkubus (02-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    20g long should have UTH with 25 watts tops. I would use even less than that. You want it to cover roughly 1/4 of the bottom of the enclosure off to one side. If you put it in the middle, you will struggle to get the correct temp, either too cold on hot side or too hot on cold side or both.

If this is for a baby ball python, you need to put a LOT of clutter. Several hides, fake plants, sterilized or fake wood, etc. A 20g is going to be a huge change from what it is used to, quite scary, so you need to make sure it has plenty of places to hide as well as ways to move around under some cover. 20g is not big enough for an adult, probably a great size for a yearling depending on growth.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (02-15-2021),Bogertophis (02-14-2021),Jakob_Ansel (02-14-2021)

Thanks

Thank you so much for the advice, what should I use for the insulation?
    And yes I have put a lot of clutter in it. And you say several hides, so should I get more than just the two on the hot and cold sides? How much?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

And yes I have put a lot of clutter in it. And you say several hides, so should I get more than just the two on the hot and cold sides? How much?
    You don't "need" more than 2 hides but it's okay if you do...snakes like choices, IF you have room for them. (warm, cool, & something in the middle, especially a humid hide is usually appreciated)

Many materials can be used for insulation, some easier than others to tape on & some look better than others. You can always tape on scenery first, then you won't really see the insulation.
    Insulation can be corrugated cardboard, poster board (comes in black or white with a foam core), some ppl use styro-foam sheets cut to fit (messy to cut, but highest R value), sheet cork or cork tiles, even bubble wrap traps the air- which is how "insulation" functions.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jakob_Ansel (02-14-2021),nikkubus (02-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

In a 20L, two hides is probably fine. I don't have a lot of clutter in my BP's tank, but I have 3 hides. My BP is 8 years old and 2KG, so I have two appropriate sized hides for her on each side (warm side and cool side) and a bigger hide that's not as snug, just to clutter up the middle of the tank. She doesn't use it much, but makes her feel more secure. Her tank is 4X2' so there's room for a big bowl, and the three hides, while still giving her room to maneuver around the tank.

If you don't want three hides, you can also put a bigger water bowl in the middle to clutter up the tank. It's not about clutter per se, as much as making them feel secure. If they can touch something at all times and curl up around something, they feel safer.

One thing to note is if you have two hides - one warm and one cold, they should be identical and snug. You never want a snake to choose safety over proper thermo-regulation. By offering identical hides on each side, your BP will choose based on temp and their needs regarding temps, not by what hide feels safer to them.

If you are not sure what are good hides, ask, but I like the plastic hides with the offset doors. All my snakes love them (appropriate size for the snake in question) and they are super easy to clean and keep clean because of the smooth plastic.

https://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes

These are sold elsewhere, but I get mine from Reptile Basics. They ship, but also go to many reptile shows, well, at least pre-covid.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-14-2021),Jakob_Ansel (02-14-2021),nikkubus (02-15-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Also, this picture shows to put the thermometer probe under the substrate. Is that necessary and what is the reason for doing that since the thermostat probe is already practically right there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast