Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,592

1 members and 2,591 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,840 Times in 4,770 Posts
    Good point! Complacency will get you hurt or killed. I know plenty of people who were complacent about their horses who ended up in the ER.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-14-2021),dakski (02-14-2021),GoingPostal (02-14-2021),Kam (02-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Re: I am a sucker who can not say No to an animal in need.

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    If you don’t mind me asking, how did you end up bathing the danger noodle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't mind you asking- in fact, I'm happy to share that. I'm sure you've heard of using "shift cages" as they do in zoos? It's ALL about "planning" with hots. That's why I'd personally take on rattlesnakes long before (as in "never"!) a large-giant snake- because I can think creatively & plan but I can't get any bigger nor much stronger, lol.

This was my home-made version: I made several sizes (some smaller ones) so I'll only describe here the largest one for the biggest rattlesnakes.

I used custom lengths of black PVC drain pipe from the local Home Depot- the large one is about 3' long, diameter is about 8". To that, I bolted on a handle on one side. On one end, I bolted on a drain cover (they sell them to fit exactly)- and for the other end, I installed a handle on another drain cover, so my fingers were NEVER near the drain holes* (!) & so I could use my 24" hemostats to put it on or take it off.

*Remember that rattlesnake fangs swing out with a stabbing motion- they don't have to get their mouth around something to bite, as some snakes need to do. For this reason, I also installed "fang guards" (cages made of perforated metal) over the vents on the Neodesha cages that I used when I took rattlesnakes for programs...even though I know better than to rest my hands on a screen (below which is a rattlesnake) when you're in a room full of curious people, you never know what they might do. You really have to plan ahead for everyone's safety.

Anyway, when this "tube" is lowered into a snake's tank, most see it as a dark safe cave in which to hide, so they generally go in on their own. If not, they can be encouraged using a snake hook. This was not only useful for cleaning hot snakes, but I even used it to get a stubborn opossum out of my garage one summer night a couple years ago. Once the animal is inside, the open end is capped (& can be latched on or taped on for security with hots), then when you want to remove them, they are easily slid back out.

Because of the drain holes at both ends, I realized it was perfect for bathing the snakes that came to me wearing the stink of their filthy former cages: All I had to do was run a bath in my bathtub of lukewarm water, at a depth about halfway up on the tube with the snake inside, & then using the handle, I'd swish the tube back & forth to promote the water flowing through. The snakes actually seemed to like it- they were pretty quiet & relaxed, & when they came out, maybe it's my imagination, but they had the look of wonder & a better mood with the stink now gone. See?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-14-2021 at 01:28 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-14-2021),Kam (02-14-2021),nikkubus (02-14-2021),richardhind1972 (02-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 877 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I don't mind you asking- in fact, I'm happy to share that. I'm sure you've heard of using "shift cages" as they do in zoos? It's ALL about "planning" with hots. That's why I'd personally take on rattlesnakes long before (as in "never"!) a large-giant snake- because I can think creatively & plan but I can't get any bigger nor much stronger, lol.

This was my home-made version: I made several sizes (some smaller ones) so I'll only describe here the largest one for the biggest rattlesnakes.

I used custom lengths of black PVC drain pipe from the local Home Depot- the large one is about 3' long, diameter is about 8". To that, I bolted on a handle on one side. On one end, I bolted on a drain cover (they sell them to fit exactly)- and for the other end, I installed a handle on another drain cover, so my fingers were NEVER near the drain holes* (!) & so I could use my 24" hemostats to put it on or take it off.

*Remember that rattlesnake fangs swing out with a stabbing motion- they don't have to get their mouth around something to bite, as some snakes need to do. For this reason, I also installed "fang guards" (cages made of perforated metal) over the vents on the Neodesha cages that I used when I took rattlesnakes for programs...even though I know better than to rest my hands on a screen (below which is a rattlesnake) when you're in a room full of curious people, you never know what they might do. You really have to plan ahead for everyone's safety.

Anyway, when this "tube" is lowered into a snake's tank, most see it as a dark safe cave in which to hide, so they generally go in on their own. If not, they can be encouraged using a snake hook. This was not only useful for cleaning hot snakes, but I even used it to get a stubborn opossum out of my garage one summer night a couple years ago. Once the animal is inside, the open end is capped (& can be latched on or taped on for security with hots), then when you want to remove them, they are easily slid back out.

Because of the drain holes at both ends, I realized it was perfect for bathing the snakes that came to me wearing the stink of their filthy former cages: All I had to do was run a bath in my bathtub of lukewarm water, at a depth about halfway up on the tube with the snake inside, & then using the handle, I'd swish the tube back & forth to promote the water flowing through. The snakes actually seemed to like it- they were pretty quiet & relaxed, & when they came out, maybe it's my imagination, but they had the look of wonder & a better mood with the stink now gone. See?
    Wow! I would feel better too if had been part of a spa day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kam For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post

That's incredibly genius. I've seen some really creative stuff used for dealing with tarantulas but most the people I've seen handle snakes don't have a whole lot of gear. Hooks, tongs, tubes (very simple ones) trash cans, and those grabby hook-like things, that's about it. Even so, I'm going to steer clear. I am just way to spacey in my older age lmao.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-14-2021),Kam (02-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    That's incredibly genius. I've seen some really creative stuff used for dealing with tarantulas but most the people I've seen handle snakes don't have a whole lot of gear. Hooks, tongs, tubes (very simple ones) trash cans, and those grabby hook-like things, that's about it. Even so, I'm going to steer clear. I am just way to spacey in my older age lmao.
    Thanks! I was never formally trained with venomous snakes, but I have common sense & enough of a medical background to have a huge respect for my health. Many years ago, I considered zoo-keeping & even volunteered some time at the National Zoo in D.C. (that wasn't with snakes, btw)- but while I take the care of animals seriously, I went with more practical employment over the years, then accidentally got into snakes, which became a surprise passion.

To work safely with hots, you need to know & assess yourself with honesty- you mentioned being "spacey", but also you just never work with hots if you're overly tired, feeling unwell, distracted (by others or by whatever), and NEVER when "under the influence" of any drugs (legal or otherwise) or alcohol. It's common sense, really, but you need to be focused, & you need to be able to foresee what your actions will result in. Patience doesn't hurt either. I'm the opposite of an "adrenaline junkie"- I don't even like freeways, lol. And the only time I'd ever lift a rattlesnake with a snake hook was outside, when re-locating one- NEVER in my house. I didn't need a rattlesnake getting loose & heading under my couch, lol.

Venomous or not, my snakes have always been housed throughout my home, not locked away in a "snake room", & I'm sure that's why even the ones that were not to be handled became calmer in my presence...they got used to me being around- no threat, & used to me bringing food. I prefer to see what's going on with my snakes as much as possible. No venomous bites ever, btw. No thanks! And btw, much as I like rattlesnakes, I no longer keep any.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-14-2021 at 03:20 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-14-2021),Kam (02-14-2021),nikkubus (02-14-2021)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123